Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Nope. In the Stooges' short Hold That Lion! (1947), Curly had a full head of hair. The short was filmed after Shemp had replaced Curly (Curly had a series of strokes in 1945 that forced him to leave the trio), and Curly had a cameo appearance as a man sleeping on a train (with a clothespin on his nose to prevent him from snoring). It's also the only post-Ted-Healy Stooges short that included all three Howard brothers (Moe, Curly, and Shemp).

Edit: Found it on You Tube: Three Stooges - Curly Cameo.

I always hate when people slam poor Shemp! The original Three Stooges were, Larry, Moe and Shemp. Shemp had the most severe stage fright imaginable. It's a tribute to him when he stepped back in to replace Curly, and he was funny!

I always hate when people slam poor Shemp! The original Three Stooges were, Larry, Moe and Shemp. Shemp had the most severe stage fright imaginable. It's a tribute to him when he stepped back in to replace Curly, and he was funny!
I concur. In my opinion Shemp was often just as funny as Curly, and he managed to be so without mimicking any of Curly's "antics". Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Joe Besser or "Curly" Joe DeRita; granted, they had some big shoes to fill, but neither were up to the task.

I've also gained a tremendous appreciation for Larry Fine over the years; I think his performances were often overlooked because the Howard brothers has such big on-screen personalities.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Larry was very talented.
Now with the DVD's in HD, you can see Larry better, as he cuts up in the background.
His physical comedy was much funnier than people realize, simply because the shorts weren't as clear on tv, so people couldn't see him as well.

In his autobiography he claimed the alcohol and "extracurricular activities" were his way of alleviating the pressures of managing and supervising Desilu Productions as the company grew larger. Of course, that doesn't excuse his behavior.

On a separate note, in an era in which most television programs were broadcast live, Arnaz and his cameraman Karl Freund developed the multiple-camera-in-front-of-a-live-audience method of production that is still used to this day. He and Freund also designed the sets that would accommodate filming before a live audience, and still meet the required fire and safety regulations. And when network execs told him the use of film would be too expensive, he made a deal with them for Desilu to cover the additional costs in return for complete control over all of the footage filmed. He was a flawed human being like the rest of us and made some poor decisions in his personal life, but he was also an innovative and shrewd businessman.

Desi wasn't that bad a guy--he stayed married to her for a LOOOOONNNGGG time. :p

That wasn’t all he was afraid of. Shemp was afraid of water, driving a car and a host of other things. If you can dream of a phobia, he likely had it. He was a brunt of many jokes because of it. In filming one of the Abbott and Costello movies, he had to film a scene in a boat on the WATER. Well, after filming the scene they all just left him there. He was nearly in tears before someone brought him back in.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Top Gear.
An Alfa Romeo that looks good AND has speed?
Where do I sign up? :D
Also, a 4 wheeler or quad as they call it in GHT's country, that goes on land and water?
That is just too cool, but also a recipe for disaster on Southern lakes.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
But it's a fast 10 minutes, and you get really good gas mileage during that time. ;)
Over there it's going for $42,000 pounds.
I assume that's at least $50,000 dollars here.
For what you get, it's a bit pricy, considering it reminds me of a Lotus Elise.
I sat in one of those years ago, at a new car show.
Coming from a Miata guy mind you...the Elise is just too small for me.
BTW they also showed the new McLaren hybrid.
For the money, if you go 30 mph you can get 12.5 miles out of the batteries.
But the gas engine coupled with the electric motor....that gets you to 186 mph in 17 seconds!!!!!!
And the car actually "learns" how to go faster, as you drive it.
The technology involved is just mind boggling.

But it's a fast 10 minutes, and you get really good gas mileage during that time. ;)
Over there it's going for $42,000 pounds.
I assume that's at least $50,000 dollars here.
For what you get, it's a bit pricy, considering it reminds me of a Lotus Elise.
I sat in one of those years ago, at a new car show.
Coming from a Miata guy mind you...the Elise is just too small for me.
BTW they also showed the new McLaren hybrid.
For the money, if you go 30 mph you can get 12.5 miles out of the batteries.
But the gas engine coupled with the electric motor....that gets you to 186 mph in 17 seconds!!!!!!
And the car actually "learns" how to go faster, as you drive it.
The technology involved is just mind boggling.

An Alfa small and pricey? No, I would never have thought……:p

...Over there it's going for $42,000 pounds
I assume that's at least $50,000 dollars here...
At the current exchange rate it's a little over $70,000.

Black Sails. This series seems to be well received by critics and most viewers, but the jury's still out for me. I realize it's not a documentary, but it's still populated by too many "pretty" people and it's a little too soap opera-ish for my tastes.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
At the current exchange rate it's a little over $70,000.

Black Sails. This series seems to be well received by critics and most viewers, but the jury's still out for me. I realize it's not a documentary, but it's still populated by too many "pretty" people and it's a little too soap opera-ish for my tastes.
$70K?
Too much for that car.

Counting cars was a re-run last night, darn the luck.
The 56 Route 66 Chevy was a really nice car, and they did a phenomenal job on it!
Of course my wife usually says "if I spend $50-60K to restore a car, it had better be nice or I'll be pissed!" :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken