Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I was also really disappointed in the second ep of The Americans. I'm going to keep watching, but unless it improves in the next couple of eps, I won't be sticking with it.

I'm also annoyed of how much of a boldfaced Homeland replication it is: Let's take a beloved actress who became famous playing a confused teen who's now in her thirties, change her hair color, and make her a badass spy who's got major personal issues all mixed up with professional issues.

Feraud

Bartender
Is anyone watching the HBO program Enlightened starring Laura Dern? The series is a dark comedy on the whistleblower theme. Laura Dern plays a former executive who has become "enlightened" after a mental breakdown following a disastrous relationship with a married co-worker. After a holistic Hawaiian retreat Amy (Laura Dern) is convinced she is on the right path and intends to drag everyone along to her newfound deeper understanding.
I enjoy the uncomfortable humor and ideas presented by writer/actor/director Mike White as Amy barrels her way into the lives of family and co-workers preaching her message. The message is worthy but the messenger is definitely flawed. Amy is charming, well meaning, but frequently overbearing and uncomfortable to view.
With a title like Enlightened I've been watching and wondering just how enlighted Amy thinks she is.
Also stars Diane Ladd, Luke Wilson, and Mike White.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I was also really disappointed in the second ep of The Americans. I'm going to keep watching, but unless it improves in the next couple of eps, I won't be sticking with it.

I'm also annoyed of how much of a boldfaced Homeland replication it is: Let's take a beloved actress who became famous playing a confused teen who's now in her thirties, change her hair color, and make her a badass spy who's got major personal issues all mixed up with professional issues.

We'll see how the next few episodes go, but boy, it was like night and day difference between the first and second episodes. Hope it was just an anomaly and the third episode will back on track.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
An episode from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. This one was set in Barcelona and Indie was working with a bunch of Allied spies. It was my favorite episode from back in the day, so I was excited to find it on NetFlix.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Is anyone watching the HBO program Enlightened starring Laura Dern? The series is a dark comedy on the whistleblower theme. Laura Dern plays a former executive who has become "enlightened" after a mental breakdown following a disastrous relationship with a married co-worker. After a holistic Hawaiian retreat Amy (Laura Dern) is convinced she is on the right path and intends to drag everyone along to her newfound deeper understanding.
I enjoy the uncomfortable humor and ideas presented by writer/actor/director Mike White as Amy barrels her way into the lives of family and co-workers preaching her message. The message is worthy but the messenger is definitely flawed. Amy is charming, well meaning, but frequently overbearing and uncomfortable to view.
With a title like Enlightened I've been watching and wondering just how enlighted Amy thinks she is.
Also stars Diane Ladd, Luke Wilson, and Mike White.

I've watched it from the beginning last season, and love it. It's an amazingly interesting show, and Mike White's writing is to be commended for such truthful and gutsy observations. But since Amy is SO overbearing and delusional, I find that the best episodes are the ones that sideline her, like last night's, which concentrated on White's character Tyler, and the earlier ones devoted to Amy's mom (Diane Ladd - Laura Dern's REAL mom!) and her ex-husband (Luke Wilson).

The show is so truthful and moving... I hope that having Girls as its lead-in this season will garner new fans and keep it around for another season or two!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe