Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
I am watching It Happened one Night on TCM,what a great film, they do not play this one often enough if you ask me.

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
My youngest and I watched "The Music Box" and "Dirty Work" Laurel and Hardy doing some manual labor. He had never seen either of these. I think I'm getting him started... he may want to join the Sons of the Desert if we keep this up.

jaquette.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Never Let Me Go (2010)

A
n amazingly atmospheric story set in an alternative reality where clones are raised for the sole purpose of extending their 'original's' life. Its not a secret from you, or even them that is what they are, but its the way its don that is so superbly minimalistic and effective.

The film follows 3 students at 3 points in their lives; once in the late 1970s, once in the mid 80s and lastly in the early 90s. It's a love story between two of the characters and the one that got in their way.

The whole atmospheric genericness of the film is beautifully done, the acting is very good (even though Keira Knightly is one of the 3) and the world that is reated in these simple pieces of dialogue is wonderful.

BigFitz

Practically Family
Never Let Me Go (2010)

A
n amazingly atmospheric story set in an alternative reality where clones are raised for the sole purpose of extending their 'original's' life. Its not a secret from you, or even them that is what they are, but its the way its don that is so superbly minimalistic and effective.

The film follows 3 students at 3 points in their lives; once in the late 1970s, once in the mid 80s and lastly in the early 90s. It's a love story between two of the characters and the one that got in their way.

The whole atmospheric genericness of the film is beautifully done, the acting is very good (even though Keira Knightly is one of the 3) and the world that is reated in these simple pieces of dialogue is wonderful.

Sounds like something I'll have to watch.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984). Caught it in the theaters, then years later saw it on cable, then dvr'd it recently. One character wears a greenish fedora with a small red feather stuck in the band. You're bombarded visually with a lot of cluttered looking sets and a plot line goes too many places.

What a wacky flick.

Never Let Me Go (2010)

A

An incredibly sad, twisted, and well done movie. It is well worth a viewing.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Never Let Me Go (2010)

A

Outstanding choice, LD... It's nearly my favorite dramatic film of the last four or five years.

I love this movie, though it's terribly sad, and I have watched it a bunch of times. I even read the source novel to see how it compared to the film adaptation. Turned out to be the rare case where I definitely like the film adaptation better than book.

It's also the least annoying performance I've seen by Keira Knightly - mostly because she's playing a real bitch... which seems to come very naturally to her. Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, Sally Hawkins, and the rest of the cast are wonderful. And the oblique treatment of the medical ethics issues and question of being a human being vs. something less that the story raises is masterfully done.

It gets my highest recommendation... with the caveat that it's a supremely sad story (bordering on depressing) and not everyone will like it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Outstanding choice, LD... It's nearly my favorite dramatic film of the last four or five years.

I love this movie, though it's terribly sad, and I have watched it a bunch of times. I even read the source novel to see how it compared to the film adaptation. Turned out to be the rare case where I definitely like the film adaptation better than book.

It's also the least annoying performance I've seen by Keira Knightly - mostly because she's playing a real bitch... which seems to come very naturally to her. Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, Sally Hawkins, and the rest of the cast are wonderful. And the oblique treatment of the medical ethics issues and question of being a human being vs. something less that the story raises is masterfully done.

It gets my highest recommendation... with the caveat that it's a supremely sad story (bordering on depressing) and not everyone will like it.

I was curious about the source material, Doctor Strange.
I just love the look of this film. It felt like reality was behind this glaze of a world, part real, part artificial. The production design, the generic products or lack of products, tv shows (for the most part) and stuff like that always win me over in a film. Its so easy to stick a Pesi-cola logo on something, but to see a product made just for that world always makes me happy. I love that kind of stuff!

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Very disappointed in the movie and not because it differs so greatly from the book which was entertaining. It was rushed, too much, underdeveloped, thrown together, simply blah.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82