Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Working On Today?

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Can I see a side view of your final crease?
Here you go, Bill:
Josey 3rd side.jpg

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Newest project delivered by the nice mailman today. A decently nice but dirty Stetson Gun Club hat ( no tag inside so Im not really sure exactly WHAT it actually is lol) The hat band looks like the ones that Ive seen on the "Billy the Kid" line hat, so Im pretty sure its not original. Buts a decent looking band for now. Brims a bit bigger than most of my others (3 1/4" in front/ rear, and 2 7/8" on sides). Ill leave it alone till ive cleaned it up a bit then may tale a hair off later. It just about the same size and dimensions as my Akubra Lawson) Has a few stains that brushing doesnt seem to change, so I suspect it will get dis-assembeled and get a gas bath at some point. Till then Ill just use it as a rough around bad weather hat. I think it will clean up just fine

View attachment 621669 View attachment 621668 View attachment 621667 View attachment 621666
Wow, those really ARE similar! Looks like the new one's gonna be a great bad weather hat!

RickP

A-List Customer
Wow, those really ARE similar! Looks like the new one's gonna be a great bad weather hat!
Akubra is a bit more center dent and crown sides are a bit more tapered, and the Gun Club is more teardrop bash with a bit straighter sides. Their both attractive.. each in it own way. Cant wait till I get some of the darker splotches out. Till then Ill just camouflage it with either a really loud shirt lol

RickP

A-List Customer
The whole point of having a couple walls full of hats is to avoid having multiple hats that all look the same! As a case point, Ive somehow ended up with 4 different Sovereign Temples over time.. all in different colors, all have a different feel / hand to the felt, and they all have a slightly different shape. Looking at them on the wall, yould have a hard time believing they all started out as the same model.

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Akubra is a bit more center dent and crown sides are a bit more tapered, and the Gun Club is more teardrop bash with a bit straighter sides. Their both attractive.. each in it own way. Cant wait till I get some of the darker splotches out. Till then Ill just camouflage it with either a really loud shirt lol
ALWAYS a solid plan!

RickP

A-List Customer
Alrighty now! Got a bit of cleaning, a bit of really light 800 grit sanding, and some steaming done. Took a serious look at the brim and did end up taking 1/4 " off the brim... Now 2-3/4" front and back and 2-1/2 on sides... steamed and ironed the side "wings" a bit flatter....its more "me" now. Still going to need some more serious cleaning to get some of the splotches out. Im thinking Ill try a foaming cleaner before I dive into a gas bath. Im all for NOT dis-assembeling a hat if I dont have to. As it is, its way cleaner and more than wearable now... For a casual hat, that braided leather band is growing on me... think Im going to leave it there for a while. I can call it a day now

Didnt notice that Moose the Lab photo-bombed himself into the background when I took the pics... Oh well, at least hes scratching and not licking! lol

Compress_20240617_162220_0340.jpg
Compress_20240617_162219_9946.jpg

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Alrighty now! Got a bit of cleaning, a bit of really light 800 grit sanding, and some steaming done. Took a serious look at the brim and did end up taking 1/4 " off the brim... Now 2-3/4" front and back and 2-1/2 on sides... steamed and ironed the side "wings" a bit flatter....its more "me" now. Still going to need some more serious cleaning to get some of the splotches out. Im thinking Ill try a foaming cleaner before I dive into a gas bath. Im all for NOT dis-assembeling a hat if I dont have to. As it is, its way cleaner and more than wearable now... For a casual hat, that braided leather band is growing on me... think Im going to leave it there for a while. I can call it a day now

Didnt notice that Moose the Lab photo-bombed himself into the background when I took the pics... Oh well, at least hes scratching and not licking! lol

View attachment 621750 View attachment 621751
It's looking good, Rick. And Moose is always welcome to put in an appearance!

RickP

A-List Customer
I pulled the liner out of the Gun Club getting ready for a gas bath cleaning in the morning (too many mosquitos out this evening) No identifying tag inside, but I did find a receipt tucked under the liner from the Stetson Outlet store.... $49.95 in Jan of 1993. Guess that explains the hole punched in the sweatband maybe? At least I learned a little bit about its history. Got the paper size tag and back bow removed so nothing happens and theyll still look new after reinstalling.

The Sweatband is in great shape, but Im a bit nervous about the gas bath... its looking like its a man made leather like material... ( as a leather hobbiest, we see lots of "Genuine Leather" tags during repairs that usually mean leather and paper dust in a glue binder thats pressed into shape... we jokingly call is "Pleather"). I played with some spot cleaning all afternoon, and this poor thing REALLY does need a full bath so I dont really have a choice. If things dont go well for the sweat, I DO have two nice lambskin ones I can replace it with

I did find a little cut on the edge of the hatband and have the edges gluing overnight. Ill prob add a couple of stitches tomorrow for reinforcement and give it a good Pecards treatment. I dont think its the original band anyway so one way or the other no biggie, Ill prob go through my ribbon box and see if Ive got a good match if the felt cleans up well. I kinda like the old "Campaign ribbon" like I found a picture of and posted earlier today...
ribbon.jpg
that would look pretty cool if I decide to retire the leather band.

So far its a fairly typical rebuild... felt is in decent shape except for lots of stains /dirt, a few warts, but does have lots of potential

Compress_20240617_203615_5538.jpg
Compress_20240617_212210_0773.jpg
Compress_20240617_212210_0456.jpg

RickP

A-List Customer
Cleaning day! Just finished the bath for a SIlverbelly Moose River. It wasnt horrible but was a bit dingy and the ribbon was kinda browninsh. Out to dry now and already looks better

Already have the grungy Gun Club presoaked and is now doing the every 15-20 min sloshing for the next couple hrs. It had some really nasty spots so Im not going to rush that one... update to come later!

Compress_20240510_120035_5862.jpg
Compress_20240618_101840_0873.jpg

RickP

A-List Customer
Well the Gun Club hat is out of the gas and drying. Its definately a LOT cleaner but will need some brushing, steaming, and ironing. At least the big brown blotches are gone... Im guessing the previous owner wore it while rebuilding car engines. Lots of gunk left in the bottom of the container... glad I use a stainless steel grill that fits on the bottom (kept the felt up out of the sludge). Turned the gas a nice green/ brown tint. Thinking there was lots of oil in that hat... not just dirt. Big news is that my fears were confirmed.... the man made "leather" sweatband did NOT survive. (Thank you 1990's Stetson for using such quality material lol) Shrunk down to about a size 6 in the gas and got rock hard when it started drying... Not even any Stetson markings on the cheap sweatband so no big loss.... one of the spare premade lambskin sweatbands I have on hand will be just fine. (Tan will look better than black anyway) Ill add a stamping from my leather Makers stamp so it wont just be a plain leather. Time to let it dry, and I guess I get to sew in a new sweatband tonight. Nothing like a challenge! if it was easy, everyone would do it lol

Compress_20240617_212210_0773.jpg
Compress_20240618_124755_5347.jpg
Compress_20240618_124754_4992.jpg
Compress_20240618_124943_3128.jpg
Compress_20240618_125847_7922.jpg

ruvort

One of the Regulars
I had some misfortune yesterday while sprucing up a vintage hat.

I was working with a new steamer and didn't realize it would get so hot... But I was steaming like normal and all of the sudden I got too close to the leather sweatband and it curled badly on me.

Needless to say I am extremely distraught...

To add insult to injury I had just conditioned the sweatband, so it was a complete waste of time all around.

RickP

A-List Customer
I had some misfortune yesterday while sprucing up a vintage hat.

I was working with a new steamer and didn't realize it would get so hot... But I was steaming like normal and all of the sudden I got too close to the leather sweatband and it curled badly on me.

Needless to say I am extremely distraught...

To add insult to injury I had just conditioned the sweatband, so it was a complete waste of time all around.
at least yours didnt melt lol

RickP

A-List Customer
Well I got the Gun Club dried, reshaped, new sweatband in the english tan sheepskin looks and feels way better than the cheap man made leather black one), the hatband is reassembled and stitched on, the shape is good, it feels just fine BUT.... After cleaning and getting about a cup of dried oil out of it, the felt has a definate blotchy-ness to it (reminds me of a buddys old Blue Heeler dog) Ok in daylight, but in subdued light its a bit dissappointing. I have zero experience with any of the coloring powders that Stetson and Resistol have heard they sometimes use. Im kinda guessing the cleaning bath removed some of it ( any experiences and suggestions are welcome). Maybe a proper dye would work, but I really dont feel like dissassembling again, considering my past less- then- sucessful experiences with trying to dye shirts and jackets. ( and I really done need another Black or Dark Brown hat)The oil HAD to come out so it is what it is. There was a definate discoloration under the hatband, so I decided to just reinstall the braided leather band. It looks fine and covers everything up ( if you cant see it... its not there)

Call it what it is... an inexpensive used hat. Guess I could just spray it down with scotch-gard and call it my newest bad weather hat and be done with it. Any learning experience is a good experience. Besides...nothing wrong with a semi rough looking, really casual fishing hat lol

Maybe it will look better in the morning?

Compress_20240618_182812_2172.jpg
Compress_20240618_182812_2552.jpg
Compress_20240618_182811_1828.jpg

shopkin

Familiar Face
I guess you tried brushing the blotches out with the stiff side of a hat brush. Since the blotches change with the lighting there might be some nap involved.

RickP

A-List Customer
In the light of a new day... things dont look quite as ominous as they did last night... Blotchiness seems to have toned down a bit..( maybe some of the spots didnt dry as quickly as others?) I think it will be perfectly usable. Even put the feather back in lol. Im still thinking of doing some scotch-guarding and make this a dedicated foul weather / rough use hat

Compress_20240619_102132_2929.jpg

RickP

A-List Customer
Pulled a little brim maintenance on the Soverign Temples today (Sage, Carbon, Mink and Black)... Theyre pretty soft felt, and some of the brims were getting kind of saggy and womperjawed from the wall rack. Little bit of steaming, flanging, ironing and brushing and they snap a little better...we're good to go for a while now

Compress_20240625_181726_6872.jpg
Compress_20240625_181612_2327.jpg

RickP

A-List Customer
Just for info... 3 of the 4 Temples are way softer than my Stratoliner ( the carbon is basically new and still has a bit of body to it). My two Akubra StyleMasters have just a hair firmer hand to the felt, and the brim binding allows a little lower brim maintenance but I thinbk they are almost as comfortable. Someday (Maybe) ill decide I like one more than the other lol. Till then Ill probably just keep picking up more things I dont have ( Kind of the old "he who dies with the most toys wins" attitude)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth