Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Working On Today?

RickP

Practically Family
I dont work on hats the way some of you do. So, I don't know if this post fits here or somewhere else, but did you ever have a hat you couldn't stop messing with? For me that is my Beaver Brand 5X. It started out very western and has morphed into something else. I have trimmed and flattened out the brim, changed the bash, changed the leather hat band to a simple ribbon, and then just today changed out the ribbon for a pug. I like what it has turned into though.
When I got it:
View attachment 496703
Now:
View attachment 496704
View attachment 496705
Beaver Brand are great hats to play with and modify... Ive got one similar to yours here that is getting ready for a diet (trimming brim from 3-1/2" down to 2-1/2" brim) Not expensive but decent fur. All of mine are comfortable hats

RickP

Practically Family
Did some work on the Knox 15 today. Leather sweatband was crumbling and about half the stitching in the hat were popped. I dissassembled, gave it a good gas bath, did some blocking and sewed in a new sweatband and liner. As mentioned before the sweatband was toast, but the gold embossed Knox 15 logo was decent so I salvaged it and affixed in the top of the new liner. Removed and pressed the ribbon and sewed it back on. Gave it a good steaming and press on the brim block so it snaps better now. Far from new, and I cant do much about the moth nibbles, but now it doesnt look like a garage sale refugee

I was all proud of myself as I did NOT prick my fingers with the needle at all. Also think I need to get my eyes checked...About the time I finished I noticed that I managed to sew in the sweatband about 5 % off kilter... Oh well. Ill address that another day.

Compress_20240902_182453_3528.jpg
Compress_20240902_182453_3862.jpg
Compress_20240902_182453_3172.jpg

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Did some work on the Knox 15 today. Leather sweatband was crumbling and about half the stitching in the hat were popped. I dissassembled, gave it a good gas bath, did some blocking and sewed in a new sweatband and liner. As mentioned before the sweatband was toast, but the gold embossed Knox 15 logo was decent so I salvaged it and affixed in the top of the new liner. Removed and pressed the ribbon and sewed it back on. Gave it a good steaming and press on the brim block so it snaps better now. Far from new, and I cant do much about the moth nibbles, but now it doesnt look like a garage sale refugee

I was all proud of myself as I did NOT prick my fingers with the needle at all. Also think I need to get my eyes checked...About the time I finished I noticed that I managed to sew in the sweatband about 5 % off kilter... Oh well. Ill address that another day.

View attachment 637170 View attachment 637172 View attachment 637171
Nice work, Rick!

View attachment 637170 View attachment 637172 View attachment 637171
Ohh that came out nice. Love that idea of affixing the sweat logo to the new liner.

Here are two felts on the bench for today. First is a Nutria in Cobalt blue. It is the thicker 160gr felt and the client wants a softer/thinner feel so I am pouncing the heck out of it. First pass is inside out with a coarser grit to thin it out without the care of producing mottling. It has now been reblocked inside right for a lighter pounce to finish.
Second pic is a FEPSA beaver felt that had a dye job that bled dye during the steaming. So I turned it into an experiment of a natural Indigo overdye.
cobaltnutria.jpg
denim1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HvdB