Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Working On Today?

RickP

Practically Family
Cleaning up the brims on a big pile of Stetson Hemps. Lots straighter and less wavy now. They have rapidly become my favorite summer hats.

Compress_20240720_153613_3840.jpg

RickP

Practically Family
the subject of Stratoliner Hemp brims came up earlier today... for anyone with a misbehaving Hemp front brim, (wierd wavy front brims) Ive have decent luck with steaming the front half of the stratoliner basically flat. Leave the rear on the normal brim flange so it turns up normally. If anyone gets frustrated with theirs, my trick is to flatten the WHOLE front half of the brim....

Compress_20240726_154623_3109.jpg
Compress_20240726_154623_3541.jpg

RickP

Practically Family
I have no special equipment, could I just use a regular steam iron and iron the front half flat?
For something like this, a large flat (CLEAN) countertop or cutting board, covere4d with a towel, A good Steam Iron, and a press cloth or light towel is about all you need. DONT iron directly on the hemp. DONT try to iron into shape.... steam the brim up good and damp, lay it on a flat surface and gently work it flatter with the fingers. It may take a few sessions but eventually it will start behaving. Just dont be in a hurry... enjoy the process
The heavier weave like the hemp Stratoliners have will generally hold their shape reasonably well after drying, but you can always hit it with some hairspray or hat stiffener and add a bit more body to hold it as you like it. And dont be ashamed if it isnt perfect, or look just like someone elses hat.......If I wanted mine to look just like everyone else Id just go buy a hat thats stamped out by the hundreds. Tell them thats its your extraordinary good looks or head lumps and bumps that make your hat unique! lol

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
For something like this, a large flat (CLEAN) countertop or cutting board, covere4d with a towel, A good Steam Iron, and a press cloth or light towel is about all you need. DONT iron directly on the hemp. DONT try to iron into shape.... steam the brim up good and damp, lay it on a flat surface and gently work it flatter with the fingers. It may take a few sessions but eventually it will start behaving. Just dont be in a hurry... enjoy the process
The heavier weave like the hemp Stratoliners have will generally hold their shape reasonably well after drying, but you can always hit it with some hairspray or hat stiffener and add a bit more body to hold it as you like it. And dont be ashamed if it isnt perfect, or look just like someone elses hat.......If I wanted mine to look just like everyone else Id just go buy a hat thats stamped out by the hundreds. Tell them thats its your extraordinary good looks or head lumps and bumps that make your hat unique! lol

Great info. Thank you!

RickP

Practically Family
I guess Im working on several hats today... I finally got around to putting up some more hat racks on the wall.... got the big pile of stacked hats in the corner taken care of! All the felt is on the wall...Just a few of the straw lawnmower hats are now safe on the wall

After a few days Ill take a look on how to better sort and organize

This was WAAAAY easier than panting the walls lol

Compress_20240804_170135_5485.jpg
Compress_20240804_170134_4697.jpg

Compress_20240804_170135_5108.jpg

VoodooSan

One Too Many
I guess Im working on several hats today... I finally got around to putting up some more hat racks on the wall.... got the big pile of stacked hats in the corner taken care of! All the felt is on the wall...Just a few of the straw lawnmower hats are now safe on the wall

After a few days Ill take a look on how to better sort and organize

This was WAAAAY easier than panting the walls lol

View attachment 631233 View attachment 631234
View attachment 631232
Those look AWESOME, Rick! Very nice!

VoodooSan

One Too Many

RickP

Practically Family
One of my Grandfathers Champs. I had replaced the trashed leather sweat a while back. Today I decided after the success of removing the cellophane liner cover on another hat, that this one needed the same treatent. Removed the yellowed cellophane and the logo was beautifully clean underneath. NO MORE CRUNCHY HAT! Had a haircut earler ths week so it actually fits again. Not my first pick in styling, but with the history, I DO take it out for coffee now and again

ooops... just noticed that ive got the liner in backwards lol.. Good thing I hadnt stitched in in
Compress_20240815_111830_0455.jpg
Compress_20240815_111830_0770.jpg
Compress_20240815_111831_1122.jpg

VoodooSan

One Too Many
One of my Grandfathers Champs. I had replaced the trashed leather sweat a while back. Today I decided after the success of removing the cellophane liner cover on another hat, that this one needed the same treatent. Removed the yellowed cellophane and the logo was beautifully clean underneath. NO MORE CRUNCHY HAT! Had a haircut earler ths week so it actually fits again. Not my first pick in styling, but with the history, I DO take it out for coffee now and again

ooops... just noticed that ive got the liner in backwards lol.. Good thing I hadnt stitched in in
View attachment 633473 View attachment 633475 View attachment 633474
Nice work, Rick! What a WONDERFUL piece of family history!

RickP

Practically Family
today I de-cellophaned two Champs, a Knox and a couple Towncrafts.. inside of hats look way cleaner and its really nice that they dont "crunch" when you put them on. Id probably think twice about doing this to a higher end collectable hat, but since these are modest little hats I have no qualms about it. Now not only will they head out the door on top of the head, but I can take it off to show someone the liner without apologizing for the appearance

My only disappointment was discovering that the logo on my unlined Champ Featherweight is actually printed on the cellophane cover- not the felt... so it will have to stay... It doesn't look bad at all, and its not near as "crunchy" as the others were, so its not bad. Maybe somedeay Ill find a loose decent Champ liner and I can manufacture a satin logo piece to glue or sew up inside. As an unlined hat, in summertime East Texas, having a bit of something to protect the felt from a sweaty noggin is probably a good thing

I feel like I got somethng done today!

RickP

Practically Family
Interesting development with the other 3x beaver long oval with the cattlemans crease that arrived yesterday. I was getting a lot of dust off after brushing and started seeing what looked like pale red spots on the ribbon. Did some cleaning last night with the foaming cleaner and left it out on the patio to dry. This morning I discovered that the felt is not silverbelly but a nice pale greenish grey tint, and the hatband ribbon and edge binding are actually a rose / brown color. I do think Im going to shape the brim with a swept outback style brim. This ones going to be a nice hat! Nice surprise for the start of the day
Compress_20240816_070055_5425.jpg

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Interesting development with the other 3x beaver long oval with the cattlemans crease that arrived yesterday. I was getting a lot of dust off after brushing and started seeing what looked like pale red spots on the ribbon. Did some cleaning last night with the foaming cleaner and left it out on the patio to dry. This morning I discovered that the felt is not silverbelly but a nice pale greenish grey tint, and the hatband ribbon and edge binding are actually a rose / brown color. I do think Im going to shape the brim with a swept outback style brim. This ones going to be a nice hat! Nice surprise for the start of the day
View attachment 633588
Holy moly that's gorgeous!!! Congrats on the unexpected wonder that you scored! Also, what brand of foaming cleaner are you using on your hats, Rick?

RickP

Practically Family
Holy moly that's gorgeous!!! Congrats on the unexpected wonder that you scored! Also, what brand of foaming cleaner are you using on your hats, Rick?
Its the bickmore foaming light color. Smells at first, but leaves almost zero residue when dry

RickP

Practically Family
After thinking it over today, Ive come to the conclusion that the hat had been sprayed with one of the spray cleaning powders... and then never brushed off ( so it hardened and set a bit). The Bickmore foaming clean did a really nice job at removing the residual. I used up the last of my foaming cleaner and have more ordered. Ill have to be happy with steaming and wrinkle correction for a few days till it gets in and I can hit a few areas again to finish. I also need to take a look and snug up the wind cord a bit but Ill prob wait till Im all done with the cleaning so I only have to undo it one time. Looks good enough that I do think it will make a coffee shop trip in the morning.

Compress_20240816_190752_2079.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads