Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
On this 80 degree day, I am wearing my Adam Hats Princeton Premier Quality stingy brim fedora in a color called "Nu Bark". Based on the style of this lid, I estimate it was made sometime in the 1960s.
1000024345.jpg

1000024358.jpg

1000024359.jpg

1000024360.jpg

1000024361.jpg

1000024362.jpg

It took me about a year of consistent searching, but I was finally able to lay my hands on a Marathon fedora, in incredible condition. Granted, there is some discoloration on the crown, above the hatband, (not as bad as it appears in the photos) but I’m willing to trade that for a hat that fits me perfectly, and has no other physical defects. Early to mid 50s vintage I believe, and I am VERY pleased. Definitely my wear for the day as I run errands.

View attachment 637541 View attachment 637542 View attachment 637543 View attachment 637544
Oh I love that one, Mark. Really cool ribbon. I believe that logo points to 1950s.

That is NOT the preferred method to celebrate a birthday, Terry! And you're right, back/spine issues are NOT pleasant. I'm two spinal surgeries into my 70s, possibly looking at a third next year. Prayers and positive thoughts enroute for you, that you needn't go under the knife.

Thank you buddy! I follow up with my doctor later today, so hopefully, I can get this all addressed with steroids and a few pain killers. Once I get this all addressed I'll go back to acting 45 again, maybe even 21!
I understand that pain. Mine tends to go out every so many years. Usually it’s manageable. This past weekend it went out just leaning over to get some clothes and I thought it was not so bad or same as usual. But by end of the day there was no way to even put any pressure to get on my feet. Worst it had ever been. In retrospect…. I think I went to heat WAY too soon and caused it to swell up and blow out worse. Lesson learned. Ice is my friend... and don’t mix with heat till near getting healed up. No surgeries on back yet.. but still early 50s

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Question for you. We are going to Malaysia, Thailand, and Singapore on a cruise in Jan 2026. I would take a Panama for sun protection, but I'm concerned about the rain. Thoughts or suggestions?

I’ve never been on a cruise but from what I understand they basically let you off at a port for a day and you wander around and then go back to the ship in the evening. So really I’d want something for that situation.

I’d take a Sunbody or a Stetson hemp Stratoliner or something else that doesn’t mind getting a little wet, along with a good quality collapsible umbrella for your day pack. January on the west coast of Malaysia is not normally very wet, but there is always the chance of a shower in the tropics, so a Panama that doesn’t like the rain is not what I would choose.

Jan 2026 is a long time away - who knows what that year might look like. But if I were going this January, then I would be shopping for a Sunbody or a hemp hat. The Akubra Balmoral is another nice hemp choice, btw; I wore mine for over a year in Malaysia and Thailand back in 2015/2016 and was very comfortable.

Last edited:

VoodooSan

One Too Many
I understand that pain. Mine tends to go out every so many years. Usually it’s manageable. This past weekend it went out just leaning over to get some clothes and I thought it was not so bad or same as usual. But by end of the day there was no way to even put any pressure to get on my feet. Worst it had ever been. In retrospect…. I think I went to heat WAY too soon and caused it to swell up and blow out worse. Lesson learned. Ice is my friend... and don’t mix with heat till near getting healed up. No surgeries on back yet.. but still early 50s
Yeah, that's the meanest thing about backs: they'll attack you for doing the most minor, inconsequential things. How can you be on guard for things like picking up clothes, or getting a soup mug down from a just-above-head-height shelf?

And yes, loathe as I am to do it, icing is our friend.

And YAY for no surgeries, Joe!!

VoodooSan

One Too Many

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I am traveling today so not much more time, but regarding backs I want to post this video in case it might help someone. My diaphragm got twisted up in 2016 and threw my back out. I had no idea what was going on and had to hobble around on a cane. I tried all kinds of stuff until finally I landed on this video and tried it.

This technique wont cure all back problems but if your hips are thrown out of alignment in one direction or the other, there’s a good chance it might be a diaphragm problem. These days I can sense when things are getting wacky and I grab a balloon, squat down and blow it up a few times. I have not had any back issues at all since I’ve been doing this. There are lots of other vids on YouTube to show how to do this in a squatting position.

Hope this helps someone. Though I realize this is not the cure for most back ailments, it was absolutely the cure for mine.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, John. That Mossant you were wearing has a great shape to it. I'm guessing it's the Biset one.

No one can ever accuse you of a lack of style, Robert!
Coming from someone who defines style, that is a much appreciated compliment. Thank you Stefan.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
That's the way mine is too, episodial. Every few years I do something and twist the wrong way causing my back to mess up. It's a pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It's very dibilitating. I'm still not able to stand up straight and I had to sleep sitting on the edge of my bed. I couldn't lay down to sleep because of the pain. I was able to get in to my doctor yesterday and she gave me a steroid injection and prescribed some Valium and Percocets to help with the pain. Still haven't had much relief yet, but I just started them yesterday. Hopefully things will get better soon. Like you, I don't want to have to go through back surgery unless there's no other options. Also, regarding steroids, @VoodooSan reminded me that if anyone has diabetes, they need to avoid steroids because it'll make the diabetes much worse. I may try some ice, as you suggested, to see how that works out. I've been using heat and it doesn't seem to help out at all.

Last edited:
Simply.Freaking.Wow. That is absolutely STUNNING, Alan!
Thank you Mark... Keith is a cap whisperer. This one was a fun journey - I purchased this fabric from an eBay auction that Keith directed me to and sent the fabric to Australia in exchange for a hat from the winnings. There was enough to do a handful of hats which are all made and sold at this point I guess. The homespun fabric is beautiful and a nice weight for a three season cap.

That's the way mine is too, episodial. Every few years I do something and twist the wrong way causing my back to mess up. It's a pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It's very dibilitating. I'm still not able to stand up straight and I had to sleep sitting on the edge of my bed. I couldn't lay down to sleep because of the pain. I was able to get in to my doctor yesterday and she gave me a steroid injection and prescribed some Valium and Percocets to help with the pain. Still haven't had much relief yet, but I just started them yesterday. Hopefully things will get better soon. Like you, I don't want to have to go through back surgery unless there's no other options. Also, regarding steroids, @VoodooSan reminded me that if anyone has diabetes, they need to avoid steroids because it'll make the diabetes much worse. I may try some ice, as you suggested, to see how that works out. I've been using heat and it doesn't seem to help out at all.
I hope you find some relief for your pain shortly and can get back to your adventures in hatting.

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
On this 78 degree day, I am wearing my Mallory Fifth Avenue produced for Kraus Mens Wear. As you can see, the liner has a very trippy design. This styling along with its plastic tip liner, lead me to conclude that this hat was made sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s before the appearance of the "Mallory by Stetson" brand.
1000024378.jpg

1000022696.jpg

1000022697.jpg

1000022693.jpg

1000022691.jpg

1000022695.jpg

1000022698.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1