Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

RickP

Practically Family
Have a grey misty morning here, so starting the day out under a Grey Beaver Brand
Compress_20240901_084809_9523.jpg

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Hello friends,
It has been a very busy two weeks for us in Melaka. I leave here on Tuesday for two months of intense physical therapy in Thailand; but before I go, I'd like to share what we've been up to this last fortnight.

Every year we have a performance art festival in Melaka. Most of the performers are from Australia but we also have many from Indonesia and also local Malaysians. This year we had something like 70 artists taking part (counting musicians).

Usually I perform, but my health has kept me from it this year, though it has been a real blessing to be in the audience. Most of the performances are dance/movement oriented. We have a number of sites around the old town in Melaka where artists can choose to perform. Some of them use spoken word elements and one duo performed a short theater piece. We also had a handful of purely musical performances. Tonight we will end the festival with a 2-3 hour production where all artists will take part, called "Eulogy for the Living."

For the event, I finally broke down and purchased a cheap straw hat. You can see it in the first photo. It is just too hot and humid out to be attending performances all day in the Fed IV. I don't care too much for the design of the hat at all, but it works for what I need and it cost all of $2.50 US. The second photo is of me dancing at one of our venues in the Fed IV.

I am also including just a very very very small sample of photos from the event to give you a taste of what it is like. Every year the festival produces thousands of professional photos - I chose most of these from photographers who signs their photos, but I could have randomly chosen many others of just as good or even better quality. The photos that aren't signed are my shots.

I don't know another festival of this kind in the world (though I know they exist), but I have been part of this one since 2011 and am very blessed to be here again this year.

Happy Sunday friends.
View attachment 636641
View attachment 636640
View attachment 636638
View attachment 636637 View attachment 636642 View attachment 636643 View attachment 636639 View attachment 636644
View attachment 636647
View attachment 636636
Looks like an amazing experience Nathan! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the PT — sending positive vibes your way.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
This morning's pick is from Lamson Hubbard out of Baltimore. Dove Gray with matching brim edge binding and grosgrain ribbon hatband. The unreeded sweatband is nice too. I especially like how they did the brim binding as it is wider on the top side than the bottom.
This hat caught my eye the other day, mostly because of the "Whippet-ness"
( not sure you'll find that in the dictionary. lol. ) I had never seen a hat from these folks but a little research here at TFL tells me they have been around a very long time.

View attachment 636798 View attachment 636800 View attachment 636801 View attachment 636802 View attachment 636803 View attachment 636806 View attachment 636807
What a great lid! I have a panama from them but couldn’t find much about it. Maybe we need a Lamson Hubbard thread? Your hat would be a great kickoff piece!

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Hello friends,
It has been a very busy two weeks for us in Melaka. I leave here on Tuesday for two months of intense physical therapy in Thailand; but before I go, I'd like to share what we've been up to this last fortnight.

Every year we have a performance art festival in Melaka. Most of the performers are from Australia but we also have many from Indonesia and also local Malaysians. This year we had something like 70 artists taking part (counting musicians).

Usually I perform, but my health has kept me from it this year, though it has been a real blessing to be in the audience. Most of the performances are dance/movement oriented. We have a number of sites around the old town in Melaka where artists can choose to perform. Some of them use spoken word elements and one duo performed a short theater piece. We also had a handful of purely musical performances. Tonight we will end the festival with a 2-3 hour production where all artists will take part, called "Eulogy for the Living."

For the event, I finally broke down and purchased a cheap straw hat. You can see it in the first photo. It is just too hot and humid out to be attending performances all day in the Fed IV. I don't care too much for the design of the hat at all, but it works for what I need and it cost all of $2.50 US. The second photo is of me dancing at one of our venues in the Fed IV.

I am also including just a very very very small sample of photos from the event to give you a taste of what it is like. Every year the festival produces thousands of professional photos - I chose most of these from photographers who signs their photos, but I could have randomly chosen many others of just as good or even better quality. The photos that aren't signed are my shots.

I don't know another festival of this kind in the world (though I know they exist), but I have been part of this one since 2011 and am very blessed to be here again this year.

Happy Sunday friends.
View attachment 636641
View attachment 636640
View attachment 636638
View attachment 636637 View attachment 636642 View attachment 636643 View attachment 636639 View attachment 636644
View attachment 636647
View attachment 636636
That sounds like an INCREDIBLE event to attend, Nathan! Nothing wrong with a cheap straw hat, used for a specific purpose. And, actually, it looks pretty good in that shot. You're KILLIN' it dancing, my friend. And those other photos are incredible to look at; thanks for sharing them. Prayers and positive thoughts enroute to you for your upcoming PT.

VoodooSan

One Too Many
This morning's pick is from Lamson Hubbard out of Baltimore. Dove Gray with matching brim edge binding and grosgrain ribbon hatband. The unreeded sweatband is nice too. I especially like how they did the brim binding as it is wider on the top side than the bottom.
( not sure you'll find that in the dictionary. lol. ) I had never seen a hat from these folks but a little research here at TFL tells me they have been around a very long time.

View attachment 636798 View attachment 636800 View attachment 636801 View attachment 636802 View attachment 636803 View attachment 636806 View attachment 636807
Yowza!!! That is a STUNNER, Timmy!!

Mighty44

One Too Many

Gorgeous!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good afternoon. Yard work, lawn cutting, burning cuttings and fallen limbs, grocery store errand, prepping gym shoes (disenfecting/cleaning/scrubbing/treating fabrics) and garage cleaning found me enjoying many hats. I changed when I began to worry about my perspiration damaging the hat.

A Gannon w/gills (green moss beaver felt).

i-Mf4PFFR-M.jpg

i-HR8dPT6-M.jpg

A Gannon Wanderer (green moss).

i-vzk7htD-M.jpg

i-WN2wnhc-M.jpg

A Gannon Wanderer (charcoal beaver felt).

i-pJmssVL-M.jpg

i-3bTW6pV-M.jpg

A blue Stetson Whippet.

i-36XgCff-M.jpg

Cutting/burning ball cap. Same for my Fall gym shoe clean-up.

i-FKh4Gr8-M.jpg

i-brkTffR-M.jpg

Sunbody.

i-ZtDFsw7-M.jpg

Marathon.

i-FCfcx4m-M.jpg

i-CWbS59m-M.jpg

i-5NHZNdv-M.jpg

More to do. Who knows what headgear will tapped for use yet today.

Cheers, Eric -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I’ve obviously seen a few of your Tina-made Aloha shirts. In fact I’ve been inspired to look for a nice aloha shirt for myself. I haven’t had much luck finding one that speaks to me. After hearing about Tina’s difficulty with staying still, I actually thought that maybe she’d like to sit down at the sewing machine and make one for me! I’m sure there are some other Loungers that would be interested in her handiwork.
Thank you for the compliment, it's much appreciated. Years ago Tina got herself seriously stressed out when making a bride's dress, along with the four bridesmaids. She vowed then that her hobby would remain that, a hobby. Sorry to disappoint you.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Good afternoon. Yard work, lawn cutting, burning cuttings and fallen limbs, grocery store errand, prepping gym shoes (disenfecting/cleaning/scrubbing/treating fabrics) and garage cleaning found me enjoying many hats. I changed when I began to worry about my perspiration damaging the hat.

i-Mf4PFFR-M.jpg

i-HR8dPT6-M.jpg

i-vzk7htD-M.jpg

i-WN2wnhc-M.jpg

i-pJmssVL-M.jpg

i-3bTW6pV-M.jpg

A blue Stetson Whippet.

i-36XgCff-M.jpg

i-FKh4Gr8-M.jpg

i-brkTffR-M.jpg

Sunbody.

i-ZtDFsw7-M.jpg

Marathon.

i-FCfcx4m-M.jpg

i-CWbS59m-M.jpg

i-5NHZNdv-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
taupe.jpg

The Marathon has got that certain something Eric.
I love the way it can change it's hue, on which ever
way the light catches it.

VoodooSan

One Too Many

i-Mf4PFFR-M.jpg

i-HR8dPT6-M.jpg

i-vzk7htD-M.jpg

i-WN2wnhc-M.jpg

i-pJmssVL-M.jpg

i-3bTW6pV-M.jpg

A blue Stetson Whippet.

i-36XgCff-M.jpg

i-FKh4Gr8-M.jpg

i-brkTffR-M.jpg

Sunbody.

i-ZtDFsw7-M.jpg

Marathon.

i-FCfcx4m-M.jpg

i-CWbS59m-M.jpg

i-5NHZNdv-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Good Lord, Eric! A 6-pack of awesome hats, a baseball cap, ALL the shoes, and a metric crap-ton of work, too? Are you a caped super-hero on the side, as well? THAT sir, is one incredible Sunday! Thanks for taking the time to photo those amazing lids!

DiamondJimLA

New in Town
The calm after the storm (the typhoon wasn’t half as bad as expected). Very pleasant outside, wearing the Akubra Blue Mountains. I find this one an awkward one in my collection. I wanted a big brim and I love the hat band with the feather. I like the hat a lot, but it’s difficult to find a place for it. With the deep dip front and back, it’s not one for going out.. I already have a couple of Akubras for the garden and barbecue. I do barbecue a lot, so maybe it goes into the barbecue rotation.
View attachment 636564 View attachment 636565
Nice. I have a Blue Mountain myself, but haven't worn it much.

Every time you post, I miss Japan! I've been there at least 16 times, mostly for business but not all, I love Japan! I had a very close friend in Ashiya and usually would take a day when in Tokyo and visit him, up and back in one day, but I don't think I was ever in Wakayama. かんぱい

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigdog42