Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Royal Scot Playfellow Featherweight

IMG_20230920_171102392_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230920_171108246_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230920_171211757_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230920_171218284_Original.jpeg

IMG_20230920_171154729_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Unlined Cavanagh while out for lunch with my son at a “joint” that has been around forever (holds the city’s oldest liquor license), but goes up for auction next week. Hope the new owners don’t change a thing.

b95d9be4efe0f3b8be91559e52feadd1.jpg

My son and I retracing our steps and back at this "joint" for a burger, a pulled-pork and a beer. The new owners didn't change much after the auction ... a bigger selection of beer on tap to appease the college locals. I stayed with the PBR. Wearing a Camp Draft for the outing. Four years has not changed us much. I have more hair and my son may have even less.

1695246524825.png

hambone71

Practically Family
My son and I retracing our steps and back at this "joint" for a burger, a pulled-pork and a beer. The new owners didn't change much after the auction ... a bigger selection of beer on tap to appease the college locals. I stayed with the PBR. Wearing a Camp Draft for the outing. Four years has not changed us much. I have more hair and my son may have even less.

View attachment 547398
He looks like a chip off the ol' block! Enjoy the good times and the PBR's.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Randall, this is a very comfortable Knox, it’s true.

It’s also my only hat with a 2 3/8 inch brim. I’m not keen for another one with this brim size, but I’m definitely not thinking to let go of this one, either.
Leisure Flex. I’ve seen that before but forgot what it was called. At least that’s what Dobbs called the feature, but I’d bet Knox used the same name.

Attachments

• 0F349D5B-6396-42A9-AA7B-261A53E2065B.jpeg
    0F349D5B-6396-42A9-AA7B-261A53E2065B.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 95E0947C-97BF-483C-866A-A66958E383BA.jpeg
    95E0947C-97BF-483C-866A-A66958E383BA.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 36

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Leisure Flex. I’ve seen that before but forgot what it was called. At least that’s what Dobbs called the feature, but I’d bet Knox used the same name.
Is that from a Dobbs? The patent number is exactly the same as in the Knox 20 I showed and the little bow is exactly the same and so is the patent imprint (font, color, everything). Makes me think the patent belonged to the sweatband manufacturer (implying that Knox and Dobbs did not manufacture their own sweatbands, which makes sense once I think about it but I never thought about it).

But if all that is true (if...) then why is the feature called differently (Knox says "Comfit" while Dobbs says "Leisure Flex")? Because they each demanded their own name? Or did the design name change over time? Does an invention not have a name attached to the patent? I would have assumed the name was part of the patent, like the title of a book is part of the copyright - but maybe the title is not part of the copyright either?

So many questions.....

PS: for convenience, here’s the photo again of the Knox 20 imprint :
IMG_8648.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that from a Dobbs? The patent number is exactly the same as in the Knox 20 I showed and the little bow is exactly the same and so is the patent imprint (font, color, everything). Makes me think the patent belonged to the sweatband manufacturer (implying that Knox and Dobbs did not manufacture their own sweatbands, which makes sense once I think about it but I never thought about it).

But if all that is true (if...) then why is the feature called differently (Knox says "Comfit" while Dobbs says "Leisure Flex")? Because they each demanded their own name? Or did the design name change over time? Does an invention not have a name attached to the patent? I would have assumed the name was part of the patent, like the title of a book is part of the copyright - but maybe the title is not part of the copyright either?

So many questions.....

I'm 99 44/100% sure both hats were manufactured when Hat Corporation of America had taken ownership of both brands, among others.

HatCorp likely owned the patent and marketed them under different names.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I'm 99 44/100% sure both hats were manufactured when Hat Corporation of America had taken ownership of both brands, among others.

That makes sense. One answer for so many questions!

Here’s another one that’s a bit off topic: are HatCorp (Cavanagh et al) and Hatco (Stetson et al) two different entities? They are definitely confused in my head.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Don’t ask me. I can fill an entire mega trailer park with misinformation and and things I’ve forgotten about hats—alone.

Here’s another one that’s a bit off topic: are HatCorp (Cavanagh et al) and Hatco (Stetson et al) two different entities? They are definitely confused in my head.

I concur with Jim. This is similar to what HCA did with their Cavanagh edge IP. Dobbs version was called Guild Edge and Knox version Custom Edge.

Hat Corporation of America was the company John Cavanagh created to encompass his own brands Crofut and Knapp Cavanagh and Dobbs.. along with acquired brands Knox and Dunlap In about 1932. So any hat of these brands mid 30s and on is a an HCA product… though I do believe they kept separate factories for some time. Later they add Champ and I believe some others. I’m not exactly sure when the demise of HCA is.

Hatco is a separate entity that currently owns the brands Resistol, Stetson and Dobbs and manufactures hats at the original Resistol factory In Garland, TX

The similarity in the names had me questioning the same.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I concur with Jim. This is similar to what HCA did with their Cavanagh edge IP. Dobbs version was called Guild Edge and Knox version Custom Edge.

Hat Corporation of America was the company John Cavanagh created to encompass his own brands Crofut and Knapp Cavanagh and Dobbs.. along with acquired brands Knox and Dunlap In about 1932. So any hat of these brands mid 30s and on is a an HCA product… though I do believe they kept separate factories for some time. Later they add Champ and I believe some others. I’m not exactly sure when the demise of HCA is.

Hatco is a separate entity that currently owns the brands Resistol, Stetson and Dobbs and manufactures hats at the original Resistol factory In Garland, TX

Thank you. Those kind of big picture history facts are important to get right. Like the 2nd Battle of the Bulge and the Biblical book of Hezekiah. If we can’t get that stuff accurate….? ;D

Kidding aside, that helps clarify hat history in a way I could not find on Google. Thanks.

I think after all the twists and turns of acquisition, all of the HCA brands are now owned by Hatco. I know they own Knox, as well as the others you mention.

And of course, somebody owns Hatco, and somebody owns them, and so on.

Whoa!!!!!
Rehfus & Cie. "Zephyr" "Extra Extra Qualität". I believe this Stiff Felt is post WWII but made from old stock. The Rehfus & Cie factory was heavily damaged in WWII and didn't go back into production until 1951. It's in NOS condition. I found this Stiff Felt back in 2019.

53202165323_95ac8b3a44_h.jpg

53201936771_f85111e036_h.jpg

53202251130_093c0ae1e1_h.jpg

53200965757_235b740d9f_h.jpg

53201918506_493cd6c859_h.jpg

53202259880_6aaa833356_h.jpg

It came with an original shop Hat Case and Hat Brush.

48976594927_f81d5d10f1_b.jpg

48976421071_220c19e1b7_b.jpg

48976612562_a1104caa21_b.jpg

48975888318_65af933bf9_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads