Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Today I'm wearing my Resistol "Sub-Thompson"

I've been wearing this hat for about a week now and have received more, "nice hat," "hey man I like that hat," "where can I buy a hat like that?," than any other hat that I own. This hat has pretty normal crease heights in front and back, but the peak of the crown (creased) stands at 5 5/8. I think people notice the hat because of the 20's/30's proportions. I really have to make more of these in different colors.

Sub Thompson? Wow, that's very evocative of the gangster era! A very tall crown indeed, but you wear it confidently.

A whole collection of great short stories there AL - did you tell us what piece(s) you were playing?

Josh, LOVE that high hat... I can see why it's a crowd pleaser. Are there more pictures of it somewhere?

Kiltie, I like that picture.

JTL, so good to have you back in the rotation.

cheers!
Alan

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Sovereign Stetson Twenty

P1020791.JPG

Really enjoyable set of photos, Alan, once again. Thanks for posting them, and tell me, how did you pack the Strat? I'm curious for upcoming travels, not wanting to pay for an additional piece of luggage, etc.

No packing for the Stratoliner... it was the only hat I brought and I wore it on my head. On the plane, I kept it under the seat or on my lap. It was actually a fun exercise to choose one hat for a short trip.

AL - thank you. I wish I'd had time to poke around more. Resort stays don't inspire the photographer in me. They all kinda look the same.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thank You Everyone!!!

Josh: Now THAT is a crown! Are you sure the hat is the "Sub-Thompson" and not "Thompson-Sub" lol. Should be required headwear for any self-respecting tough guy. Wow, I did not realize that you play jazz & blues guitar, I would love to hear you play next time we head down to Chicago. We have heard some incredible jam sessions at Kingston Mines.

Thanks Al! I've actually been playing around with some names for the hat, and I figure it has to have something to do with the gangster era. Maybe I will rename it to the "Chicago Typewriter."
I LOVE the Kingston Mines. There are so many places to see some great Blues and Jazz in Chicago. I would be honored to play guitar for you, but you have to promise to bring your Violin as well. :) One of my favorite kinds of music is Hot Club Jazz from the 30's with Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli. Their combination of guitar and violin was just phenomenal.

Josh - Nice lid, but that little grin makes me wonder if you're about to bust my kneecaps.

....and I agree, there is something decidedly mischievous and elfin about Josh's grin! I mean, just look at him!

LOL. Well, for todays picture I figured I had to give some sort of mischievous stare to go along with the hat. LOL
Some of my favorite early 30's movies are the ones with James Cagney and Edward G. Robinson. Before I took the picture, I reminded myself of the movie "Public Enemy" with James Cagney and that grin was what came out.

Love that high crowned Thomson, Josh, you could probably hide a machine gun in there!

It's nice to see so many talented folk on this forum. I am a rank amatuer guitar player, but I have a love for all kinds of music. You could have quite a jam with Kiltie's pipes, Josh's guitar and Al's violin!

Thanks, Perry! Well, I probably couldn't fit a machine gun, but I'm sure a Colt Model 1911 would do the trick. :)
I think anyone who is going to be at Fedora Fest 4 this coming year should bring their instruments. It would be a blast!

I'd be careful wearing that hat Josh, you'll end up with guys in suits following you in a plain dark Crown Victoria. Did you notice any conservatively suited guys around you talking to their wrists when you wore it?

You know, now that you mention it.......:):);)

Sub Thompson? Wow, that's very evocative of the gangster era! A very tall crown indeed, but you wear it confidently.

Thanks, jlee562! I actually had a gentleman walk up to me on the street the other day and strike up a conversation about hats for 20 minutes. He told me that he noticed me from the other side of the street because he said I looked like, "Al Capone.....or that other guy.......Elliot Ness."

Josh, LOVE that high hat... I can see why it's a crowd pleaser. Are there more pictures of it somewhere?

Thanks very much, Alan!! There's pictures in the "The Conversion Corral" thread. I made the hat about a week ago.

That's such a great story Josh, don't know how I missed it. Thanks for pointing me to the thread. You really pulled all the silver linings out of that piece of felt and old ribbon. I love it.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Al! I've actually been playing around with some names for the hat, and I figure it has to have something to do with the gangster era. Maybe I will rename it to the "Chicago Typewriter."
I LOVE the Kingston Mines. There are so many places to see some great Blues and Jazz in Chicago. I would be honored to play guitar for you, but you have to promise to bring your Violin as well. :) One of my favorite kinds of music is Hot Club Jazz from the 30's with Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli. Their combination of guitar and violin was just phenomenal.

Somehow, "The Butcher" comes to mind when I see your hat, and I mean that as a compliment and in reference to its intimidating presence! :eyebrows:

Will bring my fiddle down to Chi-Town next time. Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli, now those two could really heat things up! :eusa_booh

Justin B

One Too Many
Thanks, Perry! Well, I probably couldn't fit a machine gun, but I'm sure a Colt Model 1911 would do the trick. :)
I think anyone who is going to be at Fedora Fest 4 this coming year should bring their instruments. It would be a blast!

Right, bring machingun to Fedorafest...wait, no. Just the 1911? Awww...forget it I'll just listen to you guys play.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That's such a great story Josh, don't know how I missed it. Thanks for pointing me to the thread. You really pulled all the silver linings out of that piece of felt and old ribbon. I love it.

Thanks very much, Alan!! These 70's Resistol Stagecoaches really make great conversion pieces. They are finished very well for a late model hat and the crown is fairly pliable. Of course the brim is stiff, but its somewhat flexible at the same time. It holds shape excellently. Even though I can't "snap" the brim because its always "snapped," its nice to have a brim that wont get all out of shape in different weather conditions.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Somehow, "The Butcher" comes to mind when I see your hat, and I mean that as a compliment and in reference to its intimidating presence! :eyebrows:

Will bring my fiddle down to Chi-Town next time. Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli, now those two could really heat things up! :eusa_booh

"The Butcher" would be a great name too! Well I guess I will just have to make more Resistol conversions and call them all these great names.

Maybe on your next Chicago trip we could play a couple Django tunes! :)

delectans

Call Me a Cab
I love the felt and ribbon color on this Homburg, Alan. It reminds me of your Knox that I adore.

A whole collection of great short stories there AL - did you tell us what piece(s) you were playing?

I played Borodin's Polovtsian Dances, Nos. 8 & 17, with the Minnesota Orchestra. Will post additional photos and write-up to Fedoras Afield shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82