Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter

Practically Family
Pretty colorful shirt and fleece, Alan, gotta wear a hat to carry the batteries for those, I would imagine. In all seriousness, the hat is very, very nice! Just that I don't often see you dressed in such bright clothing.

T-Rick, nice Strat, I'm still looking for mine. I keep my eyes on your examples, as you and I seem to have the same general features, right down to the goatee (of course, mine is a little more.....errrrr.....blond.)

Mayser, that is a magnificent looking chapeaux, my friend! I am envious of you all!

scooter

Practically Family
Overlooked MichaelShane! You, my good man, seem born to wear a hat and have a wonderful collection. I have a nice Borso Homburg, but I would really like to eventually find a wide brim of my own. Yours is superb!

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks for all the compliments on the Strat guys, Stetson really did get it right with this model!

Great hats all, David the Tumwater is a very formidable hat, love the bound brim and big crown.

Bowlerman, that Milan is awesome (also glad to see that pug reference from David, I just bought a vintage Stetson straw with no band, I'll be needing one, though I also do have some I picked up at Henry the Hatter).

Al, great looking Optimo, and great to see another time or three for your great looking Panama.

Alan, that Featherweight Bors'o really shows it's weight. The brim looks to be paper thin, I'll bet it's as light as air and almost impossible to tell you're even wearing a hat!

Scooter, I hope you find the Strat you're looking for. They do come up, just looking diligently and being ready to pounce as needed should get it done.

WRT the goatee, mine is brown and/or white or a blend, depending on when you catch me. Not so young anymore, I guess I can admit it actually gets some color from time to time. Not totally vane (at least I think not), it's just that it's been turning color for nearly 15 years, while my hair stays mostly brown (a bit of gray/white is creeping in, but nothing like the beard, which goes nearly full white if left to it's own devices). I've been dying it since around 1998, and yet have not dyed the hair at all. TMI? Well, I had a full beard for over 20 years, went to the goatee about two years ago.

Here's a pic of me from Christmas Day 2006. You'll note the beard is nearly full white. I was in Iraq, working on the US Embassy, and figured why bother taking my dye with me? After seeing this pic, I sent for some from home (didn't see anything appropriate at the PX or local Barbers). And yes, that's Kid Rock in the Santa hat... was there to entertain the Troops, and on Christmas Day, showed up to dish out chow to them at lunch time (this was at the DFAC in a FOB I can't recall the name of near Checkpoint 12 in the Green Zone or IZ).

standard.jpg

I learned about Lexol here in the Lounge a few years ago. I've tried it on a couple sweatbands but don't think much of it. I have come to prefer using a touch of pure shea butter. Shea butter is the active ingredient in many top-shelf skin-care products. It's non-toxic and, in my view, more effective at conditioning and softening sweatbands.

I was also unimpressed with the results from Lexol. A bought a container of Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing - I believe it was mentioned in a post by Buler. Shea butter sounds interesting, too.

My grandmother would have recommended chicken fat, I think. That might leave a residual odor.

Pretty colorful shirt and fleece, Alan, gotta wear a hat to carry the batteries for those, I would imagine. In all seriousness, the hat is very, very nice! Just that I don't often see you dressed in such bright clothing.

Actually I wear that Patagonia vest all the time. I considered converting the photo to B&W, but then I said naaaaaah.

scooter

Practically Family
Well, I'm sure you know I was just pulling your chain a little. Upon reflection, perhaps that's why I am unaccustomed to seeing you in such colorful garb. Many of your pics are in b/w. Didn't think about that, but I will say, you seem as if you could have been a hat model. You seem to be able to wear anything and look sharp!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
T Rick: Fantastic looking Strat, and you wear it with real panache! Thanks for the kind words on my Optimos. :yo:

David: Thank you for the compliments on my Silverbelly, I appreciate them.

Alan: Luscious felt on your Borsalino. When the vest comes out you know Autumn is upon us!

zetwal: I would caution against the use of Lexol on leather sweats. Despite its popularity, much has been discussed previously on automotive detailing fora regarding its possible deleterious effects on stitching, and I generally steer clear of it for my car leather and hat sweats. I have had exemplary results with Obenaufs for my leather apparel, car seats and hat sweatbands for years, and would not hesitate to recommend the product.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I would caution against the use of Lexol on leather sweats. Despite its popularity, much has been discussed previously on automotive detailing fora regarding its possible deleterious effects on stitching, and I generally steer clear of it for my car leather and hat sweats. I have had exemplary results with Obenaufs for my leather apparel, car seats and hat sweatbands for years, and would not hesitate to recommend the product.

You may have misunderstood my earlier post (35677). While each of us prefers a different product at this point, alanfgag, delectans, and I are in agreement that we don't like Lexol.

T Rick

Practically Family
Okay, Lexol not the universally approved product I thought. The sweat on the Strat is certainly on the edge with several small tears at the top. I may go on to try some other items. Shea Butter? Maybe I'll try that or some Obenauf's or Pecard's. The process needed is obviously more than just protection, but rejuvenation (a small piece of the sweat has already flaked off on me, it's even possible I am too late to save it, though it really doesn't look too bad).

I also have a product on hand called Renaissance Wax. It's highly recommended for things such as restoring old artwork and other valuable antiques, a very cool product. Tony Kanally of Milt Sparks Custom Holsters recommends it exclusively as the only product to ever put on their fine leather holsters. I wonder if it might be the way to go?

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
You may have misunderstood my earlier post (35677). While each of us prefers a different product at this point, alanfgag, delectans, and I are in agreement that we don't like Lexol.

My bad. I had intended to respond to T Rick's earlier post referring to Lexol, which you had quoted, but somehow addressed my comment to you instead. I was in the agonizing process of sorting through several hundred photos and selecting and uploading them in preparation for an upcoming post, and was a bit frazzled when I checked in on this thread!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Going to break some rules today. I feel like my black Dennis Brooks Beaver fedora today. Yes, with blue jeans and a t-shirt.

013copyo.jpg

pretentious artistic shot:
009copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust