Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Olumin

Familiar Face
Thought Id snatch up this Dobbs "Twenty". Ive also ordered a cream coloured vintage ribbon that Ill put on it, I think that'll make it look quite fresh. This is the first hat I'll own with a taller crown, at 5,1", so I'll see how I like that aswell.

IMG10337.jpg
IMG10334.jpg
IMG10336.jpg
IMG10335.jpg

IMG10356.PNG

Last edited:

Monte

Practically Family
Thought Id snatch up this Dobbs "Twenty". Ive also ordered a cream coloured vintage ribbon that Ill put on it, I think that'll make it look quite fresh. This is the first hat I'll own with a taller crown, at 5,1", so I'll see how I like that aswell.

View attachment 626462 View attachment 626464 View attachment 626465 View attachment 626466

View attachment 626489
Alright. This is my opinion as usual, and many will disagree to be sure. I think hat makers are still pumping out out brown hats with matching ribbons (or some black) because the ribbon material is all the contrast you really need. A cream panama w a brown ribbon would look fine. The other way around, I'm not so sure. It was definitely done in a period of time to achieve dramatic contrast. If you want to be a conversation starter beyond just wearing a vintage Dodds Twenty, then I genuinely want to see the conversion. If you want a classic formula that still works, I think that is a killer hat, which a lot of us search for or try to emulate our whole adulthood, but sometimes never actually find. Let the pics and disagreements start now. Hehe.
Screenshot_20240712_123443_Chrome.jpg

Olumin

Familiar Face
Alright. This is my opinion as usual, and many will disagree to be sure. I think hat makers are still pumping out out brown hats with matching ribbons (or some black) because the ribbon material is all the contrast you really need. A cream panama w a brown ribbon would look fine. The other way around, I'm not so sure. It was definitely done in a period of time to achieve dramatic contrast. If you want to be a conversation starter beyond just wearing a vintage Dodds Twenty, then I genuinely want to see the conversion. If you want a classic formula that still works, I think that is a killer hat, which a lot of us search for or try to emulate our whole adulthood, but sometimes never actually find. Let the pics and disagreements start now. Hehe.
Ill post a picture once its done for sure. I just love the look of contrasting light coloured bands on darker hats. My favourite hat I own also sports a golden/beige band with medium brown felt.

Its like you said, there are already so many brown fedoras with matching brown bands. As is its basically an Indiana Jones hat. There is nothing wrong with it as it is, but I simply want something different. I also already own a brown/brown Borsalino, so that fills that niche for me.

Here is another hat Ive replaced the ribbon on. I like the "3-dimensionlity" of the bow compared to factory bands.
IMG10022.jpeg

Monte

Practically Family
Ill post a picture once its done for sure. I just love the look of contrasting light coloured bands on darker hats. My favourite hat I own also sports a golden/beige band with medium brown felt.

Its like you said, there are already so many brown fedoras with matching brown bands. As is its basically an Indiana Jones hat. There is nothing wrong with it as it is, but I simply want something different. I also already own a brown/brown Borsalino, so that fills that niche for me.

Here is another hat Ive replaced the ribbon on. I like the "3-dimensionlity" of the bow compared to factory bands.
View attachment 626529
That throws a little more light on your pursuit. I really like that hat you've fitted w a new contrasting ribbon. Some grays and browns and khakis go well together. Also true enough observations about common brown on brown hats. I understand where your coming from. I recently commissioned a similar colored hat w ash or charcoal trim in an attempt to achieve some interest in the overall asthetic, since the factory ribbon matched so identically. I'm eager to see your vision. Thanks.

RickP

A-List Customer
Woo hoo! was looking at a listing for a Tan Hemp Stratoliner, and noticed that the seller also had a dark brown and a Sage Green one. We worked out a deal for all three! I already have a Sage Green one, so I think the Sage will end up being my brothers early birthday present lol. He needs a good lid for sitting around at his car shows

tan.jpg
brown.jpg
sage.jpg
tan.jpg
brown.jpg
sage.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
Currently have 3 on order. Wow, 9 years since I posted here? Way too long!

On a buying binge it seems. Currently awaiting an Akubra Fed IV Deluxe in dark brown, a Stetson Hemp Stratoliner in Sage and a Stetson Vented Open Road straw in Cognac.

Last edited:

RickP

A-List Customer
Currently have 3 on order. Wow, 9 years since I posted here? Way too long!

On a buying binge it seems. Currently awaiting an Akubra Fed IV Deluxe in dark brown, a Stetson Hemp Stratoliner in Sage and a Stetson Vented Open Road straw in Cognac.
Stetson Hemp is a really nice hat as long as the front brim behaves. Fortunately if it misbehaves, a can of hairspray fixes it! Love the feel of the Hemp Stratoliners.. soft but has a substantial feel

T Rick

Practically Family
Stetson Hemp is a really nice hat as long as the front brim behaves. Fortunately if it misbehaves, a can of hairspray fixes it! Love the feel of the Hemp Stratoliners.. soft but has a substantial feel
Thanks for that tip, I'll remember it! I got out of hat buying for a long time, but I have a ton. Just started back recently, in the last year. Didn't even know the Hemp Strats existed until a few weeks ago. Love my vintage felt Strats, and really enjoy the Poly Florentine Straws too. Great for Summer heat and rainy days, been wearing them a ton the past few weeks, that's what prompted the Hemp purchase.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Stingy brim Knox Forty. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a real fan of short brimmed hats, but Knox Fortys come up for sale so seldom that I had to get this one. I think the brim is like 2 inches.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240716-112033~2.png
    Screenshot_20240716-112033~2.png
    547.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20240716-111915~2.png
    Screenshot_20240716-111915~2.png
    619.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

MikeinRome

Practically Family
1950's Knox One Hundred. Has 2 1/2 inch brim. Has Custom Edge instead of Cavanagh Edge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240723-225012~2.png
    Screenshot_20240723-225012~2.png
    987.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240723-225110~2.png
    Screenshot_20240723-225110~2.png
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240723-225312~2.png
    Screenshot_20240723-225312~2.png
    828.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240724-114019~2.png
    Screenshot_20240724-114019~2.png