Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Fleur, stunning! Are the trousers made from one of the EvaDress overall patterns, or are they purchased?

Fleur De Guerre said:
Here is me today!

3432733220_eaf61f014b.jpg

Bad idea to eat my Easter roast in these very fitted overalls, the wait button is currently undone! lol

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Joan Holloway, Round 2

My life has been insane lately-- sorry I couldn't thank all you sweeties the compliments sooner!

Diamondback, you're too sweet!
Cherrylips, you always know how to make me blush, love!
Macheath you're a doll, thanks!
Dahling, thanks! I always love you're dresses!

So today it's the same song, second verse. I had a photographer on my hands, so the pictures are quite a bit better.
IMG_9909-1.jpg

IMG_9910-1.jpg

IMG_9903.jpg

joan2-1.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
I'm not sure whether that's the most appropriate name there is for that dress - I'm sure you end up saying it a lot when you're wearing it.... though I suspect any such request would be largely futile, given how good it looks. ;)

Thank you Edward!! lol lol lol Someone said the dress should come with a stick..

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
To give poor Slims health a break, I dressed more subtle today (yesterday actually, it is way past twelve here).

Old pic - same outfit

Wine colored silk blouse
Ivory skirt
Nude seamed stockings
Grey suede shoes

DSC_0009.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
What's cookin' good-lookin'?;) I love the pink and black cloth, is it a floral pattern?
100_2455.jpg

P.S. I think I'd faint if I met you in reality, of pure happiness!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
fun vintage outfit for Thursday 4/16

worn Thurs to visit 90yo widow of WWII pilot in afternoon, and for dress rehearsal of California Pops Orchestra in evening.

Vintage pieces:
late 30s red raffia hat with veiling
1940s eyeglasses
clip earrings
chinese print blouse
30s mens' wool tuxedo pants (altered to fit me)
black gloves with pearls
crocodile purse
black pumps

New pieces:
Miriam Haskell VI pearl cuff
361643633.jpg

Edward

Bartender
scotrace said:
Just a quick note: Edward, great frames! maybe a tad smaller size? they seem a little over-large for your face. Also, where did you get them and do they come in sunglasses? :)

They came from eBay, actually - a dealer based in HK - they turn up very easily on eBay UK if you run a search for "vintage glasses" or "vintage spectacles". FWIW, I also have a couple of pairs of cheaper Clubmaster copies from a US dealer (again, eBay Wayfarer Clubmaster I think was the titling they used) for those situations when I'm wearing lenses but don't want to risk my real RayBans. These appear to my eye to be virtually identical frames.

Size-wise is the issue I'm experimenting with these first, really.... they are a touch larger than I'm used to over the past few years, though I suspect some of the visual gain in size is down to my having elected to go hairless in recent years. Oddly enough, it also made a pair I have with rather small (almost Victorian-small) lenses look tiny. lol I really like how the heavier browline draws the eye, though, making them seem smaller than, say, a Wayfarer style in the same size. Shuron now make a model which is like the traditional Ronsir but with a shallower lens. They look nice enough, but there's just something that doesn't sit quite right with them to my eye. mind you, soon enough I'll be needing the extra depth for practical purposes, I'm sure (read: varifocals lol ).

When it comes to sunglasses, I love Wayfarers for a more casual outfit, though Clubmasters definitely have a certain je ne sais quois, and are ideal for wearing with a suit. Wayfarers with a suit are just a little too immediately Blues Brothers / Reservoir Dogs for me. Both films I love, but I don't want to ook like I'm trying to dress like Elwood and Jake, or Vic and Larry, on a daily basis. lol

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Macheath said:

Great look! I'm just not sure about the blue pocket square.

:eek:fftopic: One of my friend's grandmothers attended a deception awareness seminar by Frank Abagnale Jr. (which he gave as payment for a portion of his debt to society) when she worked at a bank. That day, his pocket square was a pair of lavender silk ladies underwear.

chanteuseCarey said:
Great shirt!

Macheath

One of the Regulars
maggiethespy said:
Great look! I'm just not sure about the blue pocket square.

:eek:fftopic: One of my friend's grandmothers attended a deception awareness seminar by Frank Abagnale Jr. (which he gave as payment for a portion of his debt to society) when she worked at a bank. That day, his pocket square was a pair of lavender silk ladies underwear.

Thanks! I do understand your qualm about the blue square. It's a slightly softer blue than it appears in the picture, and I think it's earthy enough to go with the ensemble. Others may still think it clashes, and they might be right.

There was just so much green and brown in that look that I wanted to break it up with a contrasting element. Besides the whole thing being just plain drab, it was bordering on looking like camouflage!

Nothing frilly in my breast pocket, though, alas! :rolleyes:

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Macheath said:
---Which is here: http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=40167

hack4.jpg
hack1.jpg

While I'm waiting for Marc's assessment, I'd like to know what you guys think. :)

Looks great, but my following comments may just be based on a bad photo. The sleeves look a little short, but they're also bunched up all down the arms - I'll pull both at the wrist so they're taut and the fabric's smoothed out. Ditto the body of the jacket - it looks a tiny bit short, but a few good tugs around the bottom of the jacket might solve that. It looks like it might also be a little tight at the button...but again, that could just be from a quickly taken or bad photo. It may also be that everything's got a little static cling to the shirt? just a thought.

I may have something to post tomorrow. We're off to a 40s-style fundraiser with a bit of a Guys & Dolls theme. I'm wearing my navy double-breasted peak lapel blazer and tan slacks, blue shirt with white collar & cuffs. A friend said go with the tan since it's more "spring-y" than the light grey flannels ("It's spring - put the flannels away." "Is there a rule about that?" "Isn't it good enough I'm telling you? You need to see it inscribed in print somewhere?"). I've been debating regular or bow tie all afternoon (bow is maroon, with medium blue and small yellow stripes, and I've got a maroon and gray 40s regular tie), and also debating grey fedora or the new Monticristi or the Federation. I think the latter would give me more of the Howard Hughes walking off the float plane to ask Hepburn out in Aviator. Decisions, decisions.

I think the main reason I got the mandate to attend day before yesterday was I make three in the car for the floating bridge (3 needed to use the carpool lane). :eusa_doh: Supposedly, one of the organizers said I have to come because then she'll know at least ONE person who'll be properly dressed for the occasion and era. :rolleyes:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
what we wore to the (old) movies...

The films we saw in Palo Alto at the Stanford Theater were the 1928 silent "The Wind" starring Lillian Gish with accompaniment on the Mighty Wurlitzer and a Wurlitzer wind machine, along with the 1948 movie "Portrait of Jennie" with Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones with Lillian Gish is a cameo role.

Chuck had on his full WWII summer Army Air Corp Captain's uniform and Daniel had his stingy brim on with modern dress clothes. I had on all vintage clothes, hat, accessories and fur. DD Sarah wore the skirt and blouse made from vintage sewing patterns and her vintage stroller fur. We did get people commenting and admiring our clothes, and a few people started up conversations with us regarding the clothes as the starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe