Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Neo, check out the movie "Wild Bill" made in 1995....

... with Jeff Bridges. You'll LOVE his hats. The grey one especially ! And all the rest of the BOPs in it as well !! :)

freefalling

New in Town
There's some great looking hats on this thread :D

This is a Serratelli 20X Solid Gold Felt
HhV8i.jpg

Right here you've got an Akubra Territory. Great hat to take out fishing, camping, hiking, etc..
yjlpl.jpg

zyMrl.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
I posted more pics of these over in the Resistol roundup thread (if I remember correctly); I need to work with a hatter to do some additional work on these. This Stagecoach has a nice leather hat band, but it disappears into the deep cordovan brown:
071310009.jpg

So, I want to put a lighter colored band on that Stagecoach and move the dark leather band onto this Roundup Collection (and lose that ugly shag carpet hat band - yuk!):
072310001.jpg

I put the flare crown in both of these Resistols; really a tedious process that resulted in a less-than-optimum crown in both cases. I figured out (I think) from talking with others that a true flare crown can only be done by really stretching the felt hard over a proper puzzle block, a process not likely to result in preservation of the vintage sweatband, so I resorted to experimenting, realizing that I would end up with a compromise one way or the other.

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I put the flare crown in both of these Resistols; really a tedious process that resulted in a less-than-optimum crown in both cases. I figured out (I think) from talking with others that a true flare crown can only be done by really stretching the felt hard over a proper puzzle block, a process not likely to result in preservation of the vintage sweatband, so I resorted to experimenting, realizing that I would end up with a compromise one way or the other.

These hats look INCREDIBLE, and you did an excellent job with the crowns, compromise or not! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Neophyte

Actually, you accidentally repeated your second pic (Jeff Bridges). Got another link? (Love to see the one you're talking about).

Sorry, T Rick. It seems that all the photos on the page have the same exact link. However, if you want to see what I'm talking about, follow the link. At the top of the block of thumbnail pics, there is a link that says "View All". Once you click on that link, there are a bunch of additional links on the right side of the page that allow you to limit the picture selection by movie. Click on the "True Grit" link and ENJOY! :)

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks, Neophyte. The crowns of my 'flares' just are not taut as you would expect of a flat top, with just a slight sag showing, and the edges are not crisp. However, after messing with these two hats, it becomes clear to me that I just cannot wear a flare crown, the 'look' does not fit me as well as a regular fedora.

Neophyte

However, after messing with these two hats, it becomes clear to me that I just cannot wear a flare crown, the 'look' does not fit me as well as a regular fedora.

I know what you mean. I fell in love with the flare-top shape after watching Clint Eastwood's "Preacher" character in Pale Rider. As much as I like the shape, I still don't know if I could pull it off. On top of that, for my first western I am yearning for a more traditional hat, and I haven't seen enough examples of flared crowns in the old photos to accept it as an option.

For some reason, my face shape is complimented by hats with large crowns and straight lines, with what I would describe as an "aura" of authority. The Akubra Camp Draft/Stetson Open Road, for example, fits me perfectly. Fedoras, however, don't fit the rest of my wardrobe as well as I like (being very utilitarian, my style of dress is what I would describe as "cultured country", "smart casual", or "city-fied woodsman."

I'm hoping that a high-crowned, flat-brim BotP style of hat will work for me, something akin to this Marshal Leigh Johnson's character artwork from the video game Red Dead Redemption:

1391818-rdr_marshal_super.jpg

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
I know what you mean. I fell in love with the flare-top shape after watching Clint Eastwood's "Preacher" character in Pale Rider. As much as I like the shape, I still don't know if I could pull it off. On top of that, for my first western I am yearning for a more traditional hat, and I haven't seen enough examples of flared crowns in the old photos to accept it as an option.

For some reason, my face shape is complimented by hats with large crowns and straight lines, with what I would describe as an "aura" of authority. The Akubra Camp Draft/Stetson Open Road, for example, fits me perfectly. Fedoras, however, don't fit the rest of my wardrobe as well as I like (being very utilitarian, my style of dress is what I would describe as "cultured country", "smart casual", or "city-fied woodsman."

I'm hoping that a high-crowned, flat-brim BotP style of hat will work for me, something akin to this Marshal Leigh Johnson's character artwork from the video game Red Dead Redemption:
1391818-rdr_marshal_super.jpg
Two I've seen online recently come to mind (both reminiscent of the original Boss of The Plains). This Stetson (though the band is quite different, and the crown may be taller) and this BOTP clone from River Junction Trading Co. (though I call it a clone, I've no idea how accurate it is).

barrowjh

One Too Many
Neophyte, you must report to the Major with your concerns. Major Moore, that is, aka Mike Moore, proprietor of Buckaroo Hatters. Here is a pic of the Major with Art Fawcett at the March 2010 Fedorafest in Monteagle, TN. The Major is sporting a hat similar to what you speak of, Art is in the whiskey color fedora:
mikenart1.jpg

Check out the gallery of hats on his website, the Major will build a hat to your specification - and you will not beat his price considering product quality. The Major is a fair expert on western hat styles, so he can provide you with a wealth of advice as well. PM him and strike up a parley.

Neophyte

Neophyte, you must report to the Major with your concerns. Major Moore, that is, aka Mike Moore, proprietor of Buckaroo Hatters. Here is a pic of the Major with Art Fawcett at the March 2010 Fedorafest in Monteagle, TN. The Major is sporting a hat similar to what you speak of, Art is in the whiskey color fedora:
Check out the gallery of hats on his website, the Major will build a hat to your specification - and you will not beat his price considering product quality. The Major is a fair expert on western hat styles, so he can provide you with a wealth of advice as well. PM him and strike up a parley.

Thanks for the suggestion :). I've been through that picture gallery umpteen times :D. have in fact been talking to Mr. Moore, and I will be heading across the stateroom his store in early January. I have full confidence that Mr. Moore will help set me straight. It'll be a goo thing, too, as I've been pestering my fellow Loungers about this for well over a month ( maybe two lol)!

Last edited:

Neophyte

Two I've seen online recently come to mind (both reminiscent of the original Boss of The Plains). This Stetson (though the band is quite different, and the crown may be taller) and this BOTP clone from
River Junction Trading Co. (though I call it a clone, I've no idea how accurate it is).

Wow! Thanks for the link to the RJT Company. I'm surprised that I haven't heard or read of them, as their products seem to be right up my alley :D!

freefalling

New in Town
I guess those are useful in the elements, especially bright sun. I can't use one, but you can pull it off, so congratulations on that.

Indeed. It's hard to state just how big the brim is on the Akubra Territory.

I'd take the Serratelli over the Akubra any day. Whenever I go hunting or camping I never even use the Akubra. Felt is too heavy and gets hot too fast in the heat, better to use a hemp or a straw hat.

btw, Happy new years everyone !
:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld