Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Don't try wearing ANYTHING past a 2.5: brim in almost ANY Pick-Up made past '75 :) I CANNOT wear my Cattleman or Bushman in my freinds 2009 Ford F150 PU, nor in the 2003 GMC that they use out at the stables I go to !! Most of the guys who wear Western hats take 'em off when getting in their trucks and use those wire racks up on the inside top to hold 'em while they drive !!! Onward thru the fog :)

I wear Campdrafts in my 2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab all the time, with no problems = brims = 2 7/8"...

T Rick

Practically Family
I think Alan has an advantage... he takes a great photo (the model helps no foubt), and he's buying some really great hats! Bottom line, the man's got great style and taste. Well done again Sir.

DRB

One Too Many
Alan: I have to say that You have style. Congratulations. (RE: Midwestern... a Churchill hat made for Neiman-Marcus - pheasant trim band.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I wear Campdrafts in my 2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab all the time, with no problems = brims = 2 7/8"...

Yea a CREW CAB works fine but not in a single cab :) I have access and occasionally use a friends '67 Ford F150 and have NO PROBLEM wearing a full-on 4" brim western hat in that truck. But that was when they made trucks for work and the workers wore hats. Times change. Onward thru the fog:)

majormoore

Vendor
I have two full crew cab trucks both 04,one Ford and one Chevy, I wear a 4 1/2" brim cattleman crease, no problem, some times even my 5 1/2" brim low crown hat.

Major Moore

I noticed the M9 is now selling for $6,995.99 at B&H Camera up your way. Locally here in Dallas I saw the M8 at $8,000.00 and change back before Christmas. That's ALOT of customs from Major Moore :)

An M8 should be available used in like new condition for about $2500. It's a very good camera. Today I shot pictures with the Canon point and shoot. It's not nearly as much fun.

openroad2.jpg

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Try your 5 1/2" brim in a single cab with the seat back for a 6'-1" person. :)

You break out the rear glass. You don't need it with a proper fitting 100% beaver hat.

I have a Volvo I drive when I don't drive the truck. I had to modify the headrests. I MIGHT get whiplash from rear end collision but I'M GUARANTEED a sore neck if I let those headrests stay as they were. Hat off is not an option as there is no good place to stow a hat if others are in the car other than on my noggin.
Has anyone done studies as to the the G force dampening afforded by the rear of a hat brim?
The Big Three all re-did the headrests late in the 2000's and the headrests on F 150's, Ramm 1500's, and GM 1500's all are higher and have more forward location........damn hat haters!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Looks like Stetson did not design the Boss of the Plains ! Seems it was a design of a hat made by Christy's in England at that time ! Stetson fought them in court for several years and eventually lost the case, but won the "Cowboy hat" market :) Found several referals to this while surfing tonight. Here's a link to one of em.

http://www.hitching-post.net/history2.php
Onward thru the fog :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like Stetson did not design the Boss of the Plains ! Seems it was a design of a hat made by Christy's in England at that time ! Stetson fought them in court for several years and eventually lost the case, but won the "Cowboy hat" market :) Found several referals to this while surfing tonight. Here's a link to one of em.

http://www.hitching-post.net/history2.php

That's not the first I've heard of this. I believe that The Last Best West hat company mentions this in the description of their "Boss of the Town" hat. Just didn't know whether or not there was anything to it at the time.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm gonna check into this more. Try to find out what the lawsuit was, details etc. Historicaly, the Chinese weren't the only ones to disregard patents etc. American business back in the 19th century felt what ever was available was fair game for business. It was a pre "truth in advertising" sort of an era. This sort of thing is what makes things interesting :)

Neophyte

Well, I did it. Here I am in front of Mike Moore's shop in Covington, TN. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to go in, as the store's only open on the weekend.
I did see the Major in the market, but as he seemed in a hurry and the shop wasn't open, I decided to forego introductions until tomorrow. I'm pretty excited to see how this trip turns out!

InFrontofBuckaroo.jpg

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well, I did it. Here I am in front of Mike Moore's shop in Covington, TN. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to go in, as the store's only open on the weekend.
I did see the Major in the market, but as he seemed in a hurry and the shop wasn't open, I decided to forego introductions until tomorrow. I'm pretty excited to see how this trip turns out!

InFrontofBuckaroo.jpg

Thats NOT NICE !!!! To show a pic of that "helmet Head" of hair you have to the rest of us follicaly challanged :) You need to keep your hat on :) (hope your trip is productive :) )

Neophyte

Thats NOT NICE !!!! To show a pic of that "helmet Head" of hair you have to the rest of us follicaly challanged :) You need to keep your hat on :) (hope your trip is productive :) )

Thanks, sir! And I will make sure to keep a hat on in all photos here on out :D. It was too windy here in Covington to wear my hat (those buildings REALLY mess with the weather at ground level!).

majormoore

Vendor
You should have said hello to me, I just got in from Nashville, and had to meet someone at another shop, Rusty will be here Sat morning.

Mike

Neophyte

You should have said hello to me, I just got in from Nashville, and had to meet someone at another shop, Rusty will be here Sat morning.

Mike

I wasn't totally sure it was you, and I didn't want to yell across the street. In hindsight, that was silly, as you were the only person I'd seen wearing a hat (a great black one at that) in the area...I did nod to you, though, and you nodded back. You were headed across the street and a car was coming :).

I apologize if it seemed rude; that was not my intention. At the time my concentration was on finding the shop for reference, and then to find a hotel, a meal and a bathroom :D.

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
I wasn't totally sure it was you, and I didn't want to yell across the street. In hindsight, that was silly, as you were the only person I'd seen wearing a hat (a great black one at that) in the area...I did nod to you, though, and you nodded back. You were headed across the street and a car was coming :).

I apologize if it seemed rude; that was not my intention. At the time my concentration was on finding the shop for reference, and then to find a hotel, a meal and a bathroom :D.

I will see you Saturday.....:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld