Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Guy Weadick Stetson

Mid WWll-1948
guyweadickstetson001.jpg

guyweadickstetson002.jpg

guyweadickstetson003.jpg

guyweadickstetson004.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
On ePrey, last night, I bought a sterling silver decorative hat band with inset turquoise stones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260950429834?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
I have never seen one, but then, I'm new to this western hat scene. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with these, and especially any advice for affixing it to a hat. I assume it would be tacked as normally done, but note that the decorative insert has buckles on BOTH ends, probably necessitating that this section be tacked as well.

Is there a way to have open/close loops on the hat(s) so that I could move it to another hat?

Also, is it so rigid that it needs to be bent into my long oval shape, or is the sterling soft enough to mould its own shape?

Finally, I'll judge when I see it if I want to polish it or not, but if it winds up an a light hat, I assume tarnish will tarnish the hat too.

Any guidance, thoughts? Thanks and I'll post decent pics once in hand and on hat.

I think most of your questions will be answered once the band arrives and you have time to examine it. Looking forward to pics upon whichever hat it lands. :)

TipTop

Practically Family
I think most of your questions will be answered once the band arrives and you have time to examine it. Looking forward to pics upon whichever hat it lands. :)

Major disappointment Randall, he mis-measured--it's only 23" and can only serve as a halo above my 25" crown, so I trust he will be taking it back.

However, the vintage horsehair beneath it was opened up and loosened enough to get it around my eBay Australia (by way of Barney's NYC) 8X hat. Nice colors in it.

15217253-lg.jpg

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Cowboy hats shade you from the sun....

I was on the Dorer Hats site and as a hat-wearing photographer, really loved this cowboy-customer photo. A little fill-flash would have gone a long way to show their eyes, but otherwise, those are some serious working cowboys and Dorer's are some serious hats!

Hurst~1.jpg

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Wow! Now those are some fine hats.:) The big surprise for me is that this outfit is just up the road a piece from me. Until I saw your link, I had never heard of them. Of course, I don't know many cowfolk who would be in the market for a $1200 hat.:D

99benzman

New in Town
I have a few western hats but this is my favorite. I worked with the hatter to design this hat which makes it that much more my favorite. The photos are taken with my iPhone and they are not to good so please take that into account. The hat is a silver belly
western1.jpg

western2.jpg

I love the mule kick!!
western3.jpg

western5.jpg

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I have a few western hats but this is my favorite. I worked with the hatter to design this hat which makes it that much more my favorite. The photos are taken with my iPhone and they are not to good so please take that into account. The hat is a silver belly

Good looking hat! Who is the maker?

TipTop

Practically Family
Wow! Now those are some fine hats.:) The big surprise for me is that this outfit is just up the road a piece from me. Until I saw your link, I had never heard of them. Of course, I don't know many cowfolk who would be in the market for a $1200 hat.:D
I'd never heard of them either and wholly agree with your price assessment, but these guys above look like satisfied customers. Judging from the google photos of the town, doesn't look like much is going on there. If you go, please take pics of the shop. I have asked for a catalog, but I'm not sure they have one; sounds like one-on-one to me.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm well aware of the fact that anything you're selling is worth what you can get somebody to pay you for it. ONE THE OTHER HAND, exactly how much better can a 100% beaver hat be that say a 100% beaver hat? I know you an sand a while longer, but really. Right now, Major Moore's 100% beaver cowboy hats cost $435.00 US Dollars. Butch's are $1200.00 US Dollars. For one of Butch's, I can get one of Major Moore's in each cowboy color (Black, Brown, and Silverbelly). Hummmmm.

Later

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I'd never heard of them either and wholly agree with your price assessment, but these guys above look like satisfied customers. Judging from the google photos of the town, doesn't look like much is going on there. If you go, please take pics of the shop. I have asked for a catalog, but I'm not sure they have one; sounds like one-on-one to me.

Quemado is the kind of place that defines New Mexico, both past and present. Truly cowboy country! I will make a point of looking into this outfit and taking some pics if possible. Good excuse to take a ride!:D

TipTop

Practically Family
Hi

I'm well aware of the fact that anything you're selling is worth what you can get somebody to pay you for it. ONE THE OTHER HAND, exactly how much better can a 100% beaver hat be that say a 100% beaver hat? I know you an sand a while longer, but really. Right now, Major Moore's 100% beaver cowboy hats cost $435.00 US Dollars. Butch's are $1200.00 US Dollars. For one of Butch's, I can get one of Major Moore's in each cowboy color (Black, Brown, and Silverbelly). Hummmmm.

Later

Hi Mike, Thanks for that comparo. I noticed that all of Dorer's have sterling silver buckle sets on the self-band. You might also note that Ritch Rand's all beavers are between $680 and $1600, (silver buckles extra) and even the commercial brands like Resistol are about $800 as I recall. I have a 100% beaver custom job by a little guy down in Tennessee and he gets $200 for his on eBay, so, you are right: It's what the market can bear. But, just like a cashmere sweater--there are all cashmere price points, (number of plies, gauge, knitting, etc) and beyond a given grade of felt, there is usually a significant difference in craftsmanship and internals. Only you can decide if the "extras" are worth the money.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82