Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

1930artdeco

Practically Family
There has been a discussion on another car forum that I belong to about letting people sit in their cars. So I thought I would ask it here as well. Do people here go to car shows or in general let people sit in their cars? I will let people sit in my car (a Model A) and even take people for a ride if they wish. I only ask that they are respectful and ask first.

Mike

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't get people wanting to sit in my car as much as I get people wanting to see the engine. I don't do shows or anything like that, but just driving around town I can count on, at least twice a week, coming out of the store or whatever and finding some guy nosing around the car, and he either comes right out and asks if he can see the engine or hints strongly that he'd be interested in doing so. If I'm not in a hurry, I'll usually oblige. Usually they're astonished that (A) it's not a "small block Chevy," and (B) that I know enough about it to know that it's a Mopar flathead six.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
With the Flivver I get the same questions about the engine, along with the perennial "are the fenders fiberglass or steel?

By the way, Miss Maine, 'though I have some 14mm plugs they are all 3/4" penetration. I believe they were used in some sort of stationary application.

There has been a discussion on another car forum that I belong to about letting people sit in their cars. So I thought I would ask it here as well. Do people here go to car shows or in general let people sit in their cars? I will let people sit in my car (a Model A) and even take people for a ride if they wish. I only ask that they are respectful and ask first.

Mike

I have a neighbor who even borrowed the car for a birthday party---I just parked the 55 Chevy there. No keys. :p I just wonder how many people took pictures in that poor car. :doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I get a lot of people who want to sit on my 1930 Harley V. I think, it is almost primal! When I get the 1914 Sears Dreadnaught done, I will probably have a line around the block.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Here is my 1955 Fairlane being loaded onto the flatbed with me in her. I bought her off my Grandpa before he passed away from bone cancer, and am restoring her little by little. She has a 292 Y block from 1958, which offers more horses than a 292 that would of come in her from the factory.

73dc248d-aa38-4af5-94f3-9183af8f6a60.jpg

Here is my 1955 Fairlane being loaded onto the flatbed with me in her. I bought her off my Grandpa before he passed away from bone cancer, and am restoring her little by little. She has a 292 Y block from 1958, which offers more horses than a 292 that would of come in her from the factory.

View attachment 14119

Nice. Looks all there so not a bad job to get going again.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Thanks for the compliments. I have already started her, but a massive leak in the carburetors throttle rod keeps her from running for very long. I am currently looking for a decently priced Holley 94 or Stromberg 97 to replace the stock Ford carb. I have decided to do everything myself, and have settled on white leather for the interior. For the exterior, I am thinking of a metallic white with emerald green. She is in overall good mechanical condition, although the people who owned her before my grandpa performed some shoddy body repair and electrical work which will have to be remedied.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There has been a discussion on another car forum that I belong to about letting people sit in their cars. So I thought I would ask it here as well. Do people here go to car shows or in general let people sit in their cars?

Definitely not. Problem is, they don't just sit in it and take a few photos, they have just got to touch the panels, pull the choke out, flick switches, even get their feet on the seats. I saw a youngster, old enough to know better, squatting on the back seat of a car in order to photograph the dashboard. Imagine the state of your seats if that young teenager had previously trod in something disgusting? At general shows, we always dress in period style. We are the only ones who do, it attracts a lot of attention, getting us photographed as much as the car. I'm quite happy about upstaging the car if it detracts would be unintentional car vandals: "I didn't mean to break it, I thought it should have twisted to the left!" Yeah right. (pun intended.)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
At general shows, we always dress in period style.

& J makes 3 L.jpg

Aghh! I hope herringbonekid doesn't catch sight of this. The photographer asked us to put our jackets on and pose. We had just got back from lunch in the restaurant, I hadn't the time to button the expanders, I didn't realise until I saw this photo. Oh dear.

At that show, over the weekend was this treasured beauty:
A 1909 Paterson.

1909 Paterson 2.jpg

Would you let members of the general public sit in it?
My wife and I had to smile, thinking of this thread, when the owner of the car next to ours,
had a small sticker that read:
PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE CAR AS BROKEN FINGERS OFTEN OFFEND.

The setting for the show was Highcliffe Castle in the popular county of Dorset.
In case you want to search for it.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 14119

There were a lot of those imported Down Under and you saw a lot when I was a kid (I am 61!). My brother owned one back in the 1970s and I remember someone made the mistake of parking him in one day. 'Nuff said!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm not usually one to endorse products on the Lounge, but I'm going to make an exception in this case and say a few words in favor of the Redi-Rad.

This is a black box gadget that will change the way you use the original radio in your old car. Don't mess around with people who claim they'll "convert" your original radio for FM/Ipod inputs or whatever, they're doing no such thing. What they do is rip its guts out and rivet a cheap modern circuit board into the casing. Better you should keep the original radio, have it properly re-capped, and then use it with a Redi-Rad. The Redi-Rad takes any audio input you want to give it and generates an internal AM or FM signal, which it then transmits to your original radio for reception via the antenna lead. You attach the power lead to your ignition switch, ground the ground lead, and plug the antenna output into the antenna jack of your radio -- and then plug your antenna into the antenna jack of the Redi Rad. Velcro the box, about the size of a Band-Aid can, up under or behind your dashboard, and run the audio cable -- a standard 1/8 mini-plug cord -- thru the back of your glove compartment. Plug in your sound gadget -- a portable tape player, CD player, or IPod, and the Redi-Rad will sense the signal and turn on its internal transmitter. Tune your radio to the appropriate frequency, and you're listening to your music. Simple as that, anybody with half a brain can install it in less than fifteen minutes, and you can forget it's in there.

The maker of this product is from Wisconsin, and the gadget itself is made in the USA. He also stands behind his merchandise by offering an actual repair service if yours should be damaged or broken. I accidentally shorted mine out -- the end of the audio lead is electrically hot, and shorted against the doorframe of my glove compartment one morning when I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. But rather than sell me a new Redi-Rad, they insisted on fixing the old one -- which I think is a real Golden Era way of doing business, and well worth your attention.

They're in the midst of introducing a new range of Redi-Rads -- formerly there were separate units for 6 and 12 volt cars, but the new line will work with either voltage. They come in negative ground or positive ground, and AM only or AM/FM.

Well worth your notice if you want something to listen to in your car other than the junk you'll find on the modern radio dial, and if you want to keep your original radio original. They're at www.rediscoverradio.com. Tell him Lizzie with the Dodge sent you.

Well...it finally happened. We've been in our new house almost 3 months now, and some gomer comes knocking on the door wanting to know if the old car in the driveway is for sale. WTF is wrong with people. If it was for sale it would be sitting out front with a sign on it. Not around in back. Anyone else get as frustrated as I do with this kind of behavior?

Any of you engage in this kind of behavior?? If so- what is the thinking there?? Your like the fuller brush man in reverse? Hoping to talk me into taking your money (and ALWAYS some ridiculous low ball amount) for my ride??

Honestly this is just foolishness. Once at our old house some guy stopped and asked if I wanted to sell a toy pedal car - that my little boy was riding in and obviously enjoying!!! Yeah - let me just kick the kid out of it and give it to you for a quarter of what I paid for it. Please.

I wish these folks could find someplace besides my house to look for a deal.

I also recently installed a new water heater and the old one is still sitting out back. He asked if I "needed any help" hauling it off for scrap, in spite of the fact that I have a pickup truck sitting there. I told him he could have it, if he would get the broke down swing set the previous homeowner left behind too. He declined my offer. Too much trouble for free money I guess. What was he planning to buy my car with??

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

rjb1

Practically Family
I have a 1966 Chevy pickup that's parked beside the house. I get notes either on the truck or stuck behind the door asking to buy it every few months.
I wish they wouldn't do that, but I just ignore them. (What else can I do...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Too many of these "pickers" shows on cable TV inspiring people to think everything that exists has a price tag stuck to it. At least your people *ask* -- a close friend had her yard picked clean by people who backed up a truck in the middle of the night and carried off everything she had out there. There's a special place in hell waiting for them.

Nobody tries to make offers on my car. It's a big, slow 4-door sedan, and would look ridiculous with flames painted on the side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe