Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

It was in the garage for 13 years. Then the owner pushed it outside so he could put his new Hobie Cat in. I saw it as I drove past, it was on a suburban street just off the road that I take to go home.

After a couple of weeks I couldn't stand it any longer. So, one Saturday I stopped in and bought it. I didn't know it had 34000, I thought it must be 134000. But the owner was the grandson of the original owner and had the service records back to the day it was delivered by the local Dodge dealer.

This was about 15 years ago, I still have the car.

And yes it is a slant six. The leaning tower of power lol.

That was pretty darned lucky to find it like that. :D :clap:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
You aren't kidding. I needed another old car like a hole in the head but it kept calling out "save me! save me!" every time I drove past. After about 6 weeks I finally succumbed and bought it. I have a feeling it would have gone to the junk yard soon if I hadn't.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Did it have the good old Slant 6 in it? That's the first car I drove, indestructible engine! What a tank of a car.
I had a pickup with a slant 6 in it--I was indeed indestructible but you had to wait til noon to drive it so it wouldn't have to pull it's shadow around.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Sent the 39 Dodge off to the local car doctor. Needed some clutch work and a master cylinder rebuild. Should be back home next week!!
5ybuda5u.jpg
y9avy7y5.jpg

My baby on the lift

a6eda6y2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's been running fine all summer -- I've put about 2500 miles on it so far this season. Every Tuesday afternoon between shows one of the theatre kids and I go for a drive around the peninsula and down to the shore for an hour or so. Pretty much the only relaxation I get these days.

The only real issue at the moment is the gas gauge -- when I replaced the fuel tank I had to bend up the arm of the fuel sender to get it to work with the baffles in the tank, and then the calibration of the gague seemed to be off. So I tried to adjust that and made the problem worse, and have been putting off doing something about it because I don't see well enough to get the screws out of the back of the dash cluster without spending an hour poking around in frustration. Eventually I'll sort it out, but now is not the time.

It's been running fine all summer -- I've put about 2500 miles on it so far this season. Every Tuesday afternoon between shows one of the theatre kids and I go for a drive around the peninsula and down to the shore for an hour or so. Pretty much the only relaxation I get these days.

The only real issue at the moment is the gas gauge -- when I replaced the fuel tank I had to bend up the arm of the fuel sender to get it to work with the baffles in the tank, and then the calibration of the gague seemed to be off. So I tried to adjust that and made the problem worse, and have been putting off doing something about it because I don't see well enough to get the screws out of the back of the dash cluster without spending an hour poking around in frustration. Eventually I'll sort it out, but now is not the time.

Driving an old car is relaxing. :p

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After I finished working around the house, garden, and yard today, I got cleaned up and took the old '48 Plymouth Special Deluxe out for a nice, leisurely drive along the back roads. I was having a relaxing time motoring along when some jack ass starts riding my bumper. After a while I think to my self, one quick foot move to the brake and my all steel bumper will completely demolish your all plastic front end. With this in mind, I just slowed down a little bit more and let them stew.

Someone told me that by doing that I was driving aggressively. I said, no, if I'd been driving aggressively I'd have stopped, got out, and took my .45 cal Colt 1911 and ventilated their radiator. :D But nooooo, I'm not an aggressive driver, I just enjoy a nice slow drive through the back roads of the countryside in a big, heavy sedan.

After I finished working around the house, garden, and yard today, I got cleaned up and took the old '48 Plymouth Special Deluxe out for a nice, leisurely drive along the back roads. I was having a relaxing time motoring along when some jack ass starts riding my bumper. After a while I think to my self, one quick foot move to the brake and my all steel bumper will completely demolish your all plastic front end. With this in mind, I just slowed down a little bit more and let them stew.

Someone told me that by doing that I was driving aggressively. I said, no, if I'd been driving aggressively I'd have stopped, got out, and took my .45 cal Colt 1911 and ventilated their radiator. :D But nooooo, I'm not an aggressive driver, I just enjoy a nice slow drive through the back roads of the countryside in a big, heavy sedan.

Ventilated! :rofl:

1930artdeco

Practically Family
GHT, I will have to have my car shipped to England to see what happens. Over here all I get are thumbs up and smiles. Not bad, I agree but I really like what your car gets.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe