Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Notes are easy enough to ignore, it's the guy who knocks on the door and proceeds to not take no for answer that drives me insane. Without fail, after I say it's not for sale, I'm pressed to give a price I'd consider, because "everything's for sale for the right price", but when I do shoot out a number they immediately set in to talk me down from it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Oh, and the car is a 61 Ford Galaxies. It's a 2dr ht but it's just a driver, not a show car or high buck resto or anything. I just can't understand the mentality behind that kind of behavior. If it's not for sale - end of conversation.
One time a dude knocked on the door (on Christmas morning, no less) and wanted to trade a guitar he claimed was once owned by Carlos Santana for the car, then got all testy when I told him no. Jeez!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Oh, and the car is a 61 Ford Galaxies. It's a 2dr ht but it's just a driver, not a show car or high buck resto or anything. I just can't understand the mentality behind that kind of behavior. If it's not for sale - end of conversation.
One time a dude knocked on the door (on Christmas morning, no less) and wanted to trade a guitar he claimed was once owned by Carlos Santana for the car, then got all testy when I told him no. Jeez!

Wow! You live in a weird area. I mean, yes I do get that stuff all the time with four classics parked in front of my house but I just ignore the notes and only answer the door when it is someone I know or called for. :p I have only gotten one nut with the everything is for sale line and sure everything I have is for sale--- at three times the going rate :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Notes are easy enough to ignore, it's the guy who knocks on the door and proceeds to not take no for answer that drives me insane. Without fail, after I say it's not for sale, I'm pressed to give a price I'd consider, because "everything's for sale for the right price", but when I do shoot out a number they immediately set in to talk me down from it.

This has never happened to me, perhaps it's my reply, perhaps it's unique to America. At shows and places, the question of what my car is worth will, from time to time, come up. I'll say that if they were to look on line, they would find the going rate somewhere between twenty & twenty five grand, depending on many variables like condition and mileage, even thirty grand for a concours winner. But then I add, that to me, the car is priceless, if it were for sale, I would have advertised it. Never had anyone argue that everything has a price.

Just an anecdote. Years ago, an absolute time waster was in the process of buying my house, he pulled out at the eleventh hour. It had cost me legal fees and agent's fees. I put it back on the market with a five grand increase. The couple who bought it did everything to knock the price down. I told the agent to tell them that if the asking price was beyond their budget, then lower their expectation and go for a cheaper property. They bought my house, at the asking price.

This has never happened to me, perhaps it's my reply, perhaps it's unique to America. At shows and places, the question of what my car is worth will, from time to time, come up. I'll say that if they were to look on line, they would find the going rate somewhere between twenty & twenty five grand, depending on many variables like condition and mileage, even thirty grand for a concours winner. But then I add, that to me, the car is priceless, if it were for sale, I would have advertised it. Never had anyone argue that everything has a price.

Just an anecdote. Years ago, an absolute time waster was in the process of buying my house, he pulled out at the eleventh hour. It had cost me legal fees and agent's fees. I put it back on the market with a five grand increase. The couple who bought it did everything to knock the price down. I told the agent to tell them that if the asking price was beyond their budget, then lower their expectation and go for a cheaper property. They bought my house, at the asking price.

You mean you wouldn't take $500,000 for it?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You mean you wouldn't take $500,000 for it?
Is that all? I love US dollars, at the current, one point six five to the pound, makes that deal worth almost three quarters of a million. OK, I know it's in US dollars, but let me feel smug for a while. Who knows, I could be a dollar millionaire before too long.

Is that all? I love US dollars, at the current, one point six five to the pound, makes that deal worth almost three quarters of a million. OK, I know it's in US dollars, but let me feel smug for a while. Who knows, I could be a dollar millionaire before too long.

I dunno. If I come across someone waiting to buy your car for $500,000, I'll act as your agent. Since the cash doesn't matter, I'll take a measly 25% commission. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I dunno. If I come across someone waiting to buy your car for $500,000, I'll act as your agent. Since the cash doesn't matter, I'll take a measly 25% commission. :p
Ahem, I was talking about the house! But there again, if you think that no windshield washers, no drinks holder, no seat belts, no two speed wipers, no electric window winders, no heated rear screen, no alternator, (dynamo only,) no side impact bars, no air bags, no radio, no demister, no rear view mirror dimmer, a sun roof, yay! But no hand crank or electric operation, no disc brakes, no electronic fuel management system, (you are the management system,) no diagnostic plug, no radial tyres, (tires) no laminated windshield, no, well I think you get the picture, is worth half a million bucks! Sell it for me.

So what does it have? A soul, and fun.................................by the bucketload.

Ahem, I was talking about the house! But there again, if you think that no windshield washers, no drinks holder, no seat belts, no two speed wipers, no electric window winders, no heated rear screen, no alternator, (dynamo only,) no side impact bars, no air bags, no radio, no demister, no rear view mirror dimmer, a sun roof, yay! But no hand crank or electric operation, no disc brakes, no electronic fuel management system, (you are the management system,) no diagnostic plug, no radial tyres, (tires) no laminated windshield, no, well I think you get the picture, is worth half a million bucks! Sell it for me.

So what does it have? A soul, and fun.................................by the bucketload.

All of those things it doesn't have make I so it break down that much less. :p

Oh, the HOUSE. I was talking about the car. :p

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I have bought many cars and trucks out of people's driveways and never got anybody mad.

For a start, I only ask about cars that are obviously out of commission, with no plates or expired plates.

I will go to the house on Saturday morning after 9, or on weekday evenings after 6. Knock on the door, when someone answers, take 1 step back and say, "Hi, I notice you have a car you are not using, I wonder if you would like to sell it?"

Usually the answer is no, I thank them politely and leave.

If they are interested in selling we can usually make a deal. If we are close to an agreement and they are thinking it over, I will say that if they sell to me, I will pay them cash at once and have the car removed by a tow truck. This usually clinches the deal. (I belong to the auto club)

No one has ever gotten angry or taken offence since I started using this technique. It seems simple but it took a few years to work it out.

If a youngster answers the door and says "It's my dad's car, I don't know if he wants to sell it, but mom has been after him to get rid of it" you know you can write your own ticket. I only had this happen once, but I bought a 1966 Dodge Coronet for $50. It had been stored in the garage for years and only had 34,000 miles on it.

I have bought many cars and trucks out of people's driveways and never got anybody mad.

For a start, I only ask about cars that are obviously out of commission, with no plates or expired plates.

I will go to the house on Saturday morning after 9, or on weekday evenings after 6. Knock on the door, when someone answers, take 1 step back and say, "Hi, I notice you have a car you are not using, I wonder if you would like to sell it?"

Usually the answer is no, I thank them politely and leave.

If they are interested in selling we can usually make a deal. If we are close to an agreement and they are thinking it over, I will say that if they sell to me, I will pay them cash at once and have the car removed by a tow truck. This usually clinches the deal. (I belong to the auto club)

No one has ever gotten angry or taken offence since I started using this technique. It seems simple but it took a few years to work it out.

If a youngster answers the door and says "It's my dad's car, I don't know if he wants to sell it, but mom has been after him to get rid of it" you know you can write your own ticket. I only had this happen once, but I bought a 1966 Dodge Coronet for $50. It had been stored in the garage for years and only had 34,000 miles on it.

That last deal was a GREAT one. How did you see the car when it was in the garage?!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I only had this happen once, but I bought a 1966 Dodge Coronet for $50. It had been stored in the garage for years and only had 34,000 miles on it.

Did it have the good old Slant 6 in it? That's the first car I drove, indestructible engine! What a tank of a car.

Like this one? :D

slant6.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
That last deal was a GREAT one. How did you see the car when it was in the garage?!

It was in the garage for 13 years. Then the owner pushed it outside so he could put his new Hobie Cat in. I saw it as I drove past, it was on a suburban street just off the road that I take to go home.

After a couple of weeks I couldn't stand it any longer. So, one Saturday I stopped in and bought it. I didn't know it had 34000, I thought it must be 134000. But the owner was the grandson of the original owner and had the service records back to the day it was delivered by the local Dodge dealer.

This was about 15 years ago, I still have the car.

And yes it is a slant six. The leaning tower of power lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe