Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
William S. Hart.

Joe Hayman or Monroe Silver?

28sowo4.png

(Swing you Sinners) M.S.

Mort Sahl or Lenny Bruce?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Warner Oland, simply because it makes me smile to look at him. I always think of the Rebbe in "The Jazz Singer", besides which the Sidney Toler films look and smell cheap, and the utter contempt in which his Chan appears to hold all humanity sits not at all well with me.

Theodore Dreiser or Edith Wharton. And why. ;)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Chase, though I like Edgar Kennedy awfully well.

"limousine Love" and "Mighty Like a Moose" firmly secure Chase's place in my heart, though Kennedy does his usual stellar supporting job in "Limousine Love", it is only a supporting role.

"Wash Down" or "Syphon Jet"?

Chase, though I like Edgar Kennedy awfully well.

"limousine Love" and "Mighty Like a Moose" firmly secure Chase's place in my heart, though Kennedy does his usual stellar supporting job in "Limousine Love", it is only a supporting role.

"Wash Down" or "Syphon Jet"?

Yup, noting has changed in the world - I'd still need to Google both of these to know what they mean (my first thought was maybe booze; my second one, maybe scatologic), but either way, I'd have to, as always, look them up.

While I'm interpreting this way-beyond-my-small-brain erudition, I want to throw in a good word for one of my favorite authors of all time - Edith Wharton - who lost out in a recent "this or that." While her world was the super upper class, her characters were incredibly real and alive. I have no connection to the uber rich world of Wharton - then or now - but I feel it and live it visceral through her books, which is what a great author does.

Now back to the large-brain "This or That" of Vitanola.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yup, noting has changed in the world - I'd still need to Google both of these to know what they mean (my first thought was maybe booze; my second one, maybe scatologic), but either way, I'd have to, as always, look them up.

While I'm interpreting this way-beyond-my-small-brain erudition, I want to throw in a good word for one of my favorite authors of all time - Edith Wharton - who lost out in a recent "this or that." While her world was the super upper class, her characters were incredibly real and alive. I have no connection to the uber rich world of Wharton - then or now - but I feel it and live it visceral through her books, which is what a great author does.

Now back to the large-brain "This or That" of Vitanola.

We are talking domestic engineering, here. Wash Down:
image.jpeg

Syphon Jet:

image.jpeg

The Syphon Jet was incredibly popular between the 1920's and 2000's, for the action of the "Wash Down" toilet was both violent and noisy in comparison, and so it seemed old fashioned and déclassé. The "Wash Down" principle has recently come back into popularity, for it is well adapted to "low flush" operation. Hardly rocket science, but too trivial to be of any interest to most.

I asked the question about Wharton and Dreiser simply because I cannot myself decide between "Sister Carrie" and "House of Mirth".

Tonight, Graham, the show's gonna be different!

Hetty Green or Jay Gould?

Hey, I know this one (wonders of wonders - I checked, the sun is still moving east to west) - Hetty. A singular woman, mega successful in what was a truly man's world.

Staying with the theme: The New York Stock Exchange or The American Stock Exchange? (Extra points if you know the insiders nickname for the American Stock Exchange.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust