Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Theoretically speaking...

manton

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
On reflection, I may have judged him harshly by his book Making the Man, which I read some 25 years ago. I got some good advice out of it but rankled at the tone of it all, which seemed to purr regally (and now and then hiss a little) that these were eternal verities on the lines of the earth revolving around the sun.
I didn't mind Making the Man. The one I found most off-putting was Style and the Man, which really has that high-handed tone. It grated at the time, and has not aged well. Still, there is a lot of good info in it, and I take my hat off to him for that.

Some take exception when opinion is presented side by side with history, whether or not the intent was to pass it off as history. And any authority is going to take a brickbat or two from those who feel differently.
Why and Why? I don't see any valid objection to Flusser's approach, except "I don't care." In which case, why get so upset?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hemingway Jones said:
...I cannot tell you all how many times I have been in a mens shop trying on a suit and have had a sales person say something along the lines of, "You can wear a DB suit because you are tall and lean" with the implication clearly being that if you are short and portly you cannot. Upon pressing them, the stated reason is that Double-breasted suits inherently add bulk around the midsection because it is a double layer of fabric, and broad peaked lapels add visual weight to the chest because it emphasizes that area.

It must have been tempting to point out that this would be true "of the rack of shapeless sacks you are selling here."

Feraud

Bartender
I walked out of a Men's Warehouse last Summer and have not returned due to a salesperson who told me, "what you want is over there..."
Really? Buh-bye. :kick:

Jovan

Suspended
Holy ****! My computer's borked at home and I didn't expect anyone to reply after my edit, much less start a long discussion. I've merely skimmed through the last couple pages, but I thank everyone for the helpful comments and discussion. I may just go for that two button peak lapel someday. It sort of represents this romantic ideal I have of the 1930s-50s with English gentlemen wearing three piece peaked lapel suits in Prince of Wales fabric.

To answer the question, there were a couple of people on Style Forum who said this. That, coupled with my overwhelming concern for my body type (I just recently started exercising again) led me to believe I couldn't make it work.

Jovan

Suspended
I don't see why I worried about it in the first place. I break so many "rules" to behin with... low socks with dress shoes, button down collars with suits, etc. I don't think I have much to fear by having different lapels.

Jovan

Suspended
Another rule stated as THE definitive by certain denizens of Style Forum. I'd make a reference to the Nazi party, but it'd get me banned for sure after last time. :p

scarmebb

Suspended
Jovan said:
Another rule stated as THE definitive by certain denizens of Style Forum. I'd make a reference to the Nazi party, but it'd get me banned for sure after last time. :p

Well if this isn't the widdle teapot calling the kettle black. Where have I heard such sartorial gems as "I would never wear patch pockets", only white linen hanks acceptable...

What I really want to know is whether peak lapels go well with a Santa hat. Sometimes I think that they are best "come siamo nati". Ya know what I mean.

manton

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
button down collars with suits are a rule breaker? Oops! My bad. :) ;)
In England, you would not see this. In the US, it has been common at least since the advent of the trad era in the early 50s. One iron rule, however, was no BD collar with a DB suit. Yet Astaire broke that one all the time. Not being Astaire, I personally don't dare. But with SB, and a pesudo tradly tie, I will do it from time to time.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

In Boston, you will see more button-down collars than anything else. It has been like this for years, even at a time when button-downs were considered casual or country wear.

Jovan

Suspended
Hemingway Jones said:
In Boston, you will see more button-down collars than anything else. It has been like this for years, even at a time when button-downs were considered casual or country wear.
Interesting.

I've fallen in love with the button-down in the last year. I know it's really "common" and all, but you can distinguish yourself with a fitting shirt in 100% cotton rather than the flood of JC Penney tents you see everyone wearing. What astounds me is most everyone buys the 60/40 polyester blend and it's quite hot out 90% of the time here.

scarmebb

Suspended
Baron Kurtz said:
I dunno, the general tone reminds me of Biltmore Bob, a long-since banned agitator. Might be, might be not.

D'you have a bead on who it is? That statement about the santa hat seems absurdly specific, and may be a spill-over from another board, maybe?

bk

I can assure you that I have no idea who Biltmore Bob is. I am just here to learn and post on the hat forum and hope not to disturb anybody. I realize that santa hats are a bit of an obscure reference, but it is a hat forum, no?

Anyways, I like the look of buttondown collars quite a bit. I like them with french cuffs sometimes as well. I know that it is a little off, but I find it to be disarmingly chic.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

There are regional differences to style.

I remember reading an issue of GQ back in the 80s that said, button-down collars are considered too casual, except in Boston where it is considered de rigueur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe