Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
That's everything you want to see outside and inside a vintage 7x.If it fits, you will be a happy man.

Agreed. Based on those photos, chances are good that your lid dates to around the early 50's (but, we'll have to see). That would make for some damn nice felt. Congrats.

Agreed. Based on those photos, chances are good that your lid dates to around the early 50's (but, we'll have to see). That would make for some damn nice felt. Congrats.

Yep... the proof will be with the hat - will post pictures when it arrives. It is so tempting, though, to do a full CIS analysis using the seller's pictures and all the great Stetson dating theories on FL. I've enlarged the pics and studied the details in the liner logo, the beaver's orthopedic posture... One thing it does not seem to have is "Open Road" stamped on the sweatband. More to follow.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Yep... the proof will be with the hat - will post pictures when it arrives. It is so tempting, though, to do a full CIS analysis using the seller's pictures and all the great Stetson dating theories on FL. I've enlarged the pics and studied the details in the liner logo, the beaver's orthopedic posture... One thing it does not seem to have is "Open Road" stamped on the sweatband. More to follow.

Something tells me that the liner logo is going to look pretty much like this one:

LinerLogo-1.jpg

It will be interesting to see if the logo on the sweat is also the "stars" version (versus the "leaf" version).

Incidentally, it looks to me like there may be a chance that there actually is something printed on the front of the sweat (but, perhaps you have other photos confirming no such printing). Either way, it's an Open Road...;)

Looking forward to your update...

Cheers,
JtL

SteveAS

Practically Family
I Earlier that day I ran across this 7x clear beaver at a very low price... I'm hoping that it is old (Hanny's Mens Store in Phoenix has been closed since '86) and that it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures... and that I can get it on my noggin without a stretch. ]

If it's too small for you, I'm a size 7 . . . ;)

Something tells me that the liner logo is going to look pretty much like this one:

It will be interesting to see if the logo on the sweat is also the "stars" version (versus the "leaf" version).

Incidentally, it looks to me like there may be a chance that there actually is something printed on the front of the sweat (but, perhaps you have other photos confirming no such printing). Either way, it's an Open Road...;)

Looking forward to your update...

Cheers,
JtL

What a beautiful liner imprint - thanks for posting. I have one additional picture from the seller - it does show the Stetson XXXXXXX on the front of the sweatband.

Stetson_size_7_under_close.jpg

I will have the hat on Monday or Tuesday and will post better pictures.

Steve, thanks for the offer, but if it doesn't fit, I might try surgery first. 8^)

The hat arrived today... excellent condition but with a few "Arizona" issues to deal with. Some shrinkage evident - size is closer to 6 7/8. And though the sweat is fully attached to the reed, there is some loose stitching between the reeding and the hat. The felt is marvelous - I understand the moldable clay description now... I have no other hats that feel like this. So I will work with it a little before deciding whether to have it professionally cleaned, reblocked and restored. The latter would lose the original sweatband, I guess. The hat was affordably priced at eighty-five dollars so there is room for a few more dollars to restore it if needed. A few quick "before" pictures:

openroad.jpg

silk.jpg

inside2.jpg

bow.jpg

openroad2.jpg

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
The hat arrived today... excellent condition but with a few "Arizona" issues to deal with. Some shrinkage evident - size is closer to 6 7/8. And though the sweat is fully attached to the reed, there is some loose stitching between the reeding and the hat. The felt is marvelous - I understand the moldable clay description now... I have no other hats that feel like this. So I will work with it a little before deciding whether to have it professionally cleaned, reblocked and restored. The latter would lose the original sweatband, I guess. The hat was affordably priced at eighty-five dollars so there is room for a few more dollars to restore it if needed. A few quick "before" pictures:

Of course I am a thin ribbon man... but dang Alan.
That style hat is you!
All your hats look good but I have to say that I think this is the best!!!
Well done and good luck on your refurb.

Thanks!... It will need to be refurbished and I'm afraid I'll have to give up the nice sweatband. It's shrunk a full size in the Arizona desert.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Very very nice Alan. I recently picked up an old linerless 3x that has been used. Not "lovingly" used but used as meant to be. It has the nicest feel of any hat I own. Coaxed back to it's true size your hat will be an appendage not an adornment. Wear it in good health.
Tom D.

Thanks!... It will need to be refurbished and I'm afraid I'll have to give up the nice sweatband. It's shrunk a full size in the Arizona desert.

I have a Stetson Casual that the sweatband had shrunk considerably & pulled away from the inside of the crown. I used a regular stretcher & Lexol to condition the sweat. I didn't have to replace the sweatband as it returned to the original shape after a few weeks on the stretcher. If the sweat isn't brittle, give it a shot. HTH

Thanks for that suggestion... I wish I could have that success, but this one was a full 1/2" short of size and firmly locked onto the reeding. A very gently push with the stretcher snapped it immediately at the seam. It will be preserved in the hat museum (includes a very nice old $50 price sticker on the back side) while the refurbished hat will get a lot of display time on my head. cheers, Alan

Thanks for that suggestion... I wish I could have that success, but this one was a full 1/2" short of size and firmly locked onto the reeding. A very gently push with the stretcher snapped it immediately at the seam. It will be preserved in the hat museum (includes a very nice old $50 price sticker on the back side) while the refurbished hat will get a lot of display time on my head. cheers, Alan

Gotcha. The snapping at the seam is a clear indicator to replace that sweatband & archive the original.

The Good

Call Me a Cab

For what it's worth, my modern Open Road has a brown sweatband. Are they all like this now? You make it seem as if not too long ago, the sweatbands were black leather.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Photos of Moss brown/green OR, with green trim. Wore it over the weekend. It was originally creased in a cattleman's style, but I think it looks better with a diamond.

Does it say Open Road anywhere on the sweatband? To me this doesn't look quite like an Open Road. But I could be be wrong.

You know what, Zetwal, you may be right. I got this about 3 wks ago, around the time I got another OR, so I may have gotten them confused, and when I took the pics last night I didn't really look at the sweat to verify, I will check tonight when I get home.

On the other hand, I do have several ORs that say OR, but don't look like traditional OR's to me, and several thin ribbons that don't say OR, and look like a spittin' image. I guess, though,
if it don't say it, it ain't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82