Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I found this in the bottom of the hatbox.

P1060004.jpg
[/IMG]
P1060003.jpg
[/IMG]
P1060002.jpg
[/IMG]

It looks like it was $50.00.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hey everyone! First of all, those are fantastic Open Roads you've got there! They're great hats, and I admire the style. Now, I would like to ask, compared to an Akubra Campdraft, though it was once an "Open Road" labelled hat, is the modern Stetson Open Road tapered along the sides, somewhat? Could someone show me a comparison picture between the two lids if you happen to own both of them? I would appreciate it, as I am almost definitely considering an Open Road-esque hat in the future.

For those who are curious, the reason I'm asking about taper, is that I think it may suit my face shape, just not extreme taper, something more subtle...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I know I posted elsewhere but it belongs here too, I know Rusty & Jimmy would agree.;) I bought this one on ebay I think back in 2006. It was NOS from around the late 1950's and had never been worn or creased. The store it was originally sold at is still in Phoenix, AZ. I believe it is a place that sells supplies to Mormon Missionaries.
Took a little stretching to get it to fit just right, but it does now.:)

100_5686.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
J B said:
For those who are curious, the reason I'm asking about taper, is that I think it may suit my face shape, just not extreme taper, something more subtle...

JB: You might want to take a look at ebay and type in Stetson Open Road. You will get a bunch of vintage show up but you will also get a slew of newer hats in the mix as well. The liner on the newer Open Roads I have seen have sort of a water mark in them. As far as taper goes just look at the images there and you'll get a good idea of what it'll be like. Also, tale a look at the Akubra Campdraft (the modern Open Road clone), they have a bit of taper to them that might suit your proportions.
Anyway, that is my suggestion. If you can afford it I would start with ebay first. Who knows? You may just find a mad deal there in exactly what you want.

Cheers!

Dan

J B said:
Hey everyone! First of all, those are fantastic Open Roads you've got there! They're great hats, and I admire the style. Now, I would like to ask, compared to an Akubra Campdraft, though it was once an "Open Road" labelled hat, is the modern Stetson Open Road tapered along the sides, somewhat? Could someone show me a comparison picture between the two lids if you happen to own both of them? I would appreciate it, as I am almost definitely considering an Open Road-esque hat in the future.

Modern OR has a lower crown than vintage or the Akubra Campdraft. It does taper in where the CD has straighter sides. I have a moder OR, a modern Roadmaster, a couple of vintage ORs & 4 Campdrafts. For my money & the style, it is CD over modern OR all the time. They just shellac the moder OR too much like the Stetson westerns. The Roadmaster is not but only comes in 1 color of felt.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones said:
I know I posted elsewhere but it belongs here too, I know Rusty & Jimmy would agree.;)

Agreed! :) You are lucky to have found a vintage OR from the 50's in mint, open crown condition. That's like going back in a time machine and picking one off the shelf. Fantastic! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Congrats, Hatophile. From what I have seen, an olive Open Road is a rare find indeed. Great hat! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

frussell

One Too Many
You Lose Some....

This one was a heartbreaker. I bid the little bugger up way past my comfort zone, since 7 3/4 is hard to find. Too tight to begin with, but the main issue was the seller forgot to mention some pretty obvious mothbites. Nothing too horrible, but enough to keep me from selling it to a smaller headed friend. It's on its way to Optimo for some blocking. The sad part is that the sweat and liner are nearly pristine, just looks like someone left it out where the moths could chow down. Even had the wind trolley and JBS branding iron pin. Bummer. After Optimo, this will be a "user" for me, as I don't have to worry about it getting dinged here and there. You can see some of the moth tracking in the ribbon detail photo, right above the bow. There's several more all around the crown and brim. Says Stetson Twenty Five inside. Frank
P9200062.jpg
[/IMG]
P9200070.jpg
[/IMG]
P9200065.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have a question for the members of the guild.

A little while back I was in New Orleans, and I stopped in Meyer the Hatter. I was checking out the hats, and there was one, which was regrettably in the wrong size, that was an open road, but with a soft crown, and side dents instead of a cattleman's crease.

Well, the guy at the desk said it was an open road, and he said it was a newer model. Being absent minded, I didn't bother to look at the actual label (d'oh!).

Does anyone know anything about a soft, modern open road?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yeps,
Just to clarify, when you say "soft", do you mean that it feels smooth when you "pet" it (having a nice "hand"), or are you talking about pliability - easily putting in a crease that stays?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Yeps,
Just to clarify, when you say "soft", do you mean that it feels smooth when you "pet" it (having a nice "hand"), or are you talking about pliability - easily putting in a crease that stays?

Pliability, although it did have a rather nice hand. The salesman referred to it as the open road with a shapeable crown. Seems like something we should know about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82