Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lounge's CORNER BOOTH ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foofoogal

Banned
Ok, I want to clarify and hope someone can clarify.

I have no idea why the OP started this thread or the intention. I guess the word offended was a little strong.
I don't live under a bridge. I have lived more than a half of a century. People are different everywhere.
The OP was pretty innocuous.
I think my original ? was also. I just am not sure if I stay out of the room since I don't really fit then I may not know where to go.
News flash. I am conservative but I do not wish for the seperation signs back then and do not care for that part of our history but it is ludicrous to think that since I care more for vintage values that it is all packaged into one big package.
I also apologize as my meltdown was less about this thread or the FL as my having a total life change lately. Sorry.
I may of instigated this thread with the housing comment on another thread but I think even that was misunderstood. I was not speaking of the current situation. :eek:fftopic:
I like all you people. Liberals, conservatives whatever type you think you may be.
I will just stay out of the room. How about that. [huh]

donCarlos

Practically Family
I think that my moral is very modern, or a 1930´s gangster´s :)

However, even my very close friends are not willing to understand that the style I adore does not affect me as a person too much. In fact, I think that it affects me a bit, but only in a good way of knowing manners and good behaviour, which may annoy them.

just_me

Practically Family
I don't think this thread has anything to do with liberals or conservatives. You brought that into the discussion. I'm sorry you're having issues in your life, but you started a brouhaha over nothing.

The OP wanted a place where those of us who like the styles, music, movies, cars, etc. of the golden era but were not interested in a vintage lifestyle, or living in the golden era, could meet. That's my take on it.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
The way all yous talk is as if being old fashioned is a bad thing. Old fashioned doesn’t mean to be a racist, a sexist or a bigot. Many people I have met from the age we seem to steel their styles from are genuine people. A lot of what most of the “Corner Booth” associates with the golden era is still going on today in many parts of the world! Louisiana is still rather racist and there’s still lots of prejudice around us.

What makes me wince about my generation is the laziness, want it now, make it cheaper and faster and unfixable mindset that we know today. Also, there is little to no respect for others… and people I find are easily offended and are almost looking for a fight these days. It’s like walking on glass most of the time around some people. Especially on the road today! Golly, one can’t mind his or her own business without some one behind them thinking they’re better then everyone because they drive a BMW or what have you… and in stead of going around, they get so close they could be sitting next to you and then if you slow down, you get high beams flashed at you and a finger to match when the lazy bum finally decided to go around! All this misplaced anger is really sad.

I’m not going to say the 20s -40s was the best time to live, but, I think there was a more focused, genuine group on what’s important in life and people knew how to make due with what they have and how to enjoy life without a lot of things. People worked, and worked hard. Kids played and played hard. You didn’t see a lot of obesity in schools among children in those days; kids didn’t walk around with cell phones and playing video games every waking minute. There was discipline in the home and in the schools. People weren’t afraid of the word God. Today, a child could be suspended and kicked out of school for praying! People, what is that I ask you? Isn’t that what our Founding Fathers wanted? Freedom is nearly dead… if you don’t believe me, watch the news and really listen to what’s happening in this country of ours.

You can all have your “cool corner booth” call me an old curmudgeon, I’m stickin’ to my guns in the old fashioned, genuine, wholesome, God fearing way. And if ya all think I’m backwards and un educated, so be it. I wouldn’t want to be a sheep anway.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
Foofoogal said:
talk about discrimination and then doing it is very strange indeed. I think we all have got along swell mostly so I am quite stunned really.
I don't really have the strength anymore to go around this bush again.
Do we need a conservative room?

Yea see thats the thing just because I call my black friend black, doesn't mean I'm being discriminatory.

I celebrate diversity instead of forcing equality.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Chevalier's Conga Room - where loungers come to shimmy, shake, & mingle

This could be just the place for a liberative (liberal person with consertaive tastes), a conservable (conservative person with liberal proportions), or a liberconvable (liberal person with conservative tastes and liberal proportions). They just need to locate their appropriate corner.

Now, who can point me toward the liberconvable booth?

donCarlos

Practically Family
Madcap72 said:
Yea see thats the thing just because I call my black friend black, doesn't mean I'm being discriminatory.
How can anyone say that it´s discriminatory? Is he black? He is. So what´s that? It´s the truth. And who says anything else lies to themeselves.
(oh god... how many people will misunderstand that...)

just_me

Practically Family
carter said:
This could be just the place for a liberative (liberal person with consertaive tastes), a conservable (conservative person with liberal proportions), or a liberconvable (liberal person with conservative tastes and liberal proportions). They just need to locate their appropriate corner.

Now, who can point me toward the liberconvable booth?

lol lol lol lol

$ally

One Too Many
I don't think we need a corner both to cast aside the ignorance of the past.
I'd like to aspects of it, but I love that all people now have more opportunities. I feel there is still a general lack of respect for others in our society that could be improved.
As to etiquette, that isn't so much a then and now matter. Some people try to be polite, some don't. I don't feel that has changed drastically. Common courtesy still exists, just less common.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He ain't heavy he's my brother
icon14.gif

IMG_3079.jpg

No reason to fret[huh]

ortega76

Practically Family
Madcap72 said:
IPolitical correctness is a joke, I think people are starting to get over it. Case in point, I used to introduce my Black Friend as, "My Black Friend" he thought it was funny, since we both watched "Colbert Report"

Ha. I have two very good friends both named Chris. Years ago, we were all watching "Andy Richter Controls The Universe" and the episode revolved around a new guy (who happened to be black) joining their office who was also named Andy. The new guy suggests they call Andy R. "Big Andy". Andy R. doesn't like the jab at his weight so he suggests calling new guy "Black Andy", to the horror of everyone else.

Long story short, we still call one Chris "Black Chris" and the other is "Big Chris". Since we all went to college together, even their wives call them by their nicknames. lol

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is addressed at the idea of the thread and not in any one person in particular.

I see the Lounge as one large community with a vast diversity of members who are free to exchange ideas about the style, sounds, and culture of vintage life. All are welcome to exchange ideas freely, unmolested from personal attacks.

Debate may be spirited, we’re a passionate bunch, but the line is drawn at the ad hominem.

Generally, I see the Lounge as a way to bring people together from various places around the world that would not have normally met.

I am saddened to see any effort to marginalize or segregate people based on any inherently personal criterion, beliefs or otherwise, made further ironic by a thread based on progressive principals.

In short, I would fit in this group, but I wouldn’t sit here. I would stay with the group at large and encourage everyone to mix together so that in seeing how different we are, we acquire a deeper understanding of the stream of humanity that ties us together.

So let’s leave the divisiveness behind and concentrate on all of those things we have in common; the love of vintage styles, clothes, architecture, music, travel, food, friends, and good conversations. Let’s concentrate on being a stronger community.

And since this thread is so far off track, let's leave it at that.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld