Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this part of California where "walking" for most people is defined as taking the least amount of steps possible between their car and whichever facility happens to be their destination, the trend among these slobs is to honk their car horn as they drive past and maybe follow that up with a whistle or some form of shouted idiotic comment, and I've never understood that mentality. What, do they think these women are going to break into a sprint and try to catch up to them because they (the guys) were so suave and smooth??? :twitch::der:

That is not confined to only men. Groups of women in cars do the same thing here. Some of them will chase you down. lol lol Never bothered me one bit. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actually, a four vote state means your vote carries much more weight than a vote in a larger state, as designed.

Except when the electoral totals come around, it really doesn't tend to matter one way or another.

The point Bros. Powers and Brunswick made about one-party states is also quite valid. My state has generally been very much a one party state when it comes to Presidential elections. For many generations it always went one way -- we even went for Alf Landon, despite all reason to the contrary -- and now it always goes the other way. And even if I tend to be sympathetic to the way it goes now, that doesn't give much of an incentive for the candidates or the lobbyists who pay their way to care about us. As Maine Goes, so goes -- ah, who gives a damn, what's happening in Ohio?

Increasingly, the only votes that truly matter are those in a few so-called "Battleground States," and that's an extremely dangerous situation for any nation that bleats on and on about "democracy." One reason the Corn Lobby has such inordinate power in government today is that industrial corn farming dominates several of the swing states. I don't think that represents my interests, as an American, at all. Getting rid of the Electoral College would cut ADM and Cargill and that bunch of fine upstanding organizations down to size mighty fast.

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm...I never thought of telling someone "Bugger off, you're too friendly" as raising the standards of behavior, but everyone's mileage varies.

It isn't "friendliness" in the minds of most people in the North, the UK, and western Europe, although no doubt it is to some well meaning buffoons, bless their hearts.

Seriously, and all sarcasm aside, I understand the fact that cultural norms vary in different locales, and that what is "being friendly" to some is intrusive rudeness to others. Hence my preference for avoiding venues where asking that sort of thing to a total stranger is considered appropriate, let alone an exercise in friendliness. And not to worry: blarney being the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a pleasantly diplomatic manner that they'll look forward to the trip, I think I could muster enough that feelings would be spared.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wouldn't I love the chance to get five minutes alone with the Clowns. I forced one of our two senators to stand out in the snow and cold to buy a ticket this winter. Imagine the fun I could have with the presidential candidates.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I don't think I'd say "bugger off" in such a situation. But I'd have to bite my tongue really hard to avoid looking the inquisitor dead in the eye and saying "I was born a snake handler and I'll die a snake handler. Are you saved? I've got one right here in my bag..."

I do remember telling one particularly sweet but incredibly naïve young lady that I attended "The First Church of the Gooey Death & Discount House of Worship" in beautiful downtown Del Rio, Texas (thank you, Imus) : she thought I was serious and that was the name of an actual church.

O
And not to worry: blarney being the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a pleasantly diplomatic manner that they'll look forward to the trip, I think I could muster enough that feelings would be spared.

I understand if someone asks a too personal question responding with "I'm sorry, that's personal". What I don't get is the "how are you today?"..."it's none of your GD business how I am. Mind your own." And I'm not suggesting you'd be that way, just that it does happen. I don't see it as elevating civility.

I am a Southerner, and I cerainly am familiar with, and appreciate, the veneer of good manners that accompanies day to day interactions. The church question, though, is a line crosser. Really, as friendly a manner in which it may be framed, the only answer which won't bring instant judgment and a souring of the conversation is if your answer lies in line with their own personal beliefs. Its no different than asking about political persuasion. It instantly colors the conversation the wrong hue if you don't answer accordingly.

As for snake handling Pentacostals, Lizzie, we have those here, so that answer wouldn't raise an eyebrow anymore than answering Catholic or Synagogue or Kingdom Hall. It is an underhanded question.

I usually tell the asker that having faith is like having an *sshole, life would be fairly rough without it, but it's not really the kind of thing I like to discuss with strangers.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Indeed. I think the reason we Northerners tend to react so strongly to that question is that it's simply inconceivable up here to ever ask that of someone in casual conversation. It would never occur to a Northerner, under any circumstance to ask that, and it has nothing to do with the religious beliefs of the questioner. My close friends run the religious gamut, including people who are, or have been, Catholics, Episcopalians, Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Scientists, and Jews, and the only time religious affiliation comes up is when we're actually having serious discussion about comparative religion, which isn't all that often.

In the Northern culture, it's an irrelevant question, akin to asking someone, out of the blue, what kind of birth control they use. Not only is it irrelevant, it's offensive and in poor taste. And that's what promotes sarcastic reactions.

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
There was some of that in the Era, especially in radio. If you listen to a lot of prewar soap operas, as I have, you'll develop an abiding dislike for certain announcers, who deliver their commercials with an oily insincere chumminess that makes you want to shove the mike down their gullets. James Fleming and Ralph Edwards, who pushed Proctor and Gamble products on many different soaps during the late thirties, are the towering offenders, and the agency drones who wrote their copy were pitching it straight to their delivery style. The resulting "hey ladies" drivel alienated a great many women during the Era -- whenever a radio magazine or a research organization analyzed womens' attitudes about broadcasting they came back with a finding that the commercials in daytime radio were pretty much universally loathed.

I remember the "Hey Kids!" spiel that was employed on television in the 50's. My mom used to complain about commercials telling kids to ask their parents to buy products, but the show that really used to get her seething was a pre-Sesame Street production geared for preschoolers called "Ding Dong School." The star of the show was professional educator (Dr. Frances Horwich, "Miss Frances" to the kids) and it's held up by educators to this day as an example of what educational TV is supposed to be. Miss Frances used to earn my mother's wrath when she'd tell the kiddies, "Now, tell your Mom we're going to cook..." The last thing that we needed in our apartment was a 4 year old playing with a kitchen stove.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I am a Southerner, and I cerainly am familiar with, and appreciate, the veneer of good manners that accompanies day to day interactions. The church question, though, is a line crosser. Really, as friendly a manner in which it may be framed, the only answer which won't bring instant judgment and a souring of the conversation is if your answer lies in line with their own personal beliefs. Its no different than asking about political persuasion. It instantly colors the conversation the wrong hue if you don't answer accordingly.

As for snake handling Pentacostals, Lizzie, we have those here, so that answer wouldn't raise an eyebrow anymore than answering Catholic or Synagogue or Kingdom Hall. It is an underhanded question.

I usually tell the asker that having faith is like having an *sshole, life would be fairly rough without it, but it's not really the kind of thing I like to discuss with strangers.

I’m a Southern Baptist and even *I* have always thought it was a little rude to just blurt out “what Church are you going to?”. It always made me uncomfortable. But to be fair, I really think most who do that just don’t know any better. That they feel they are trying, at least, to fulfill the Great Commission which is important to a lot of the faithful.
I think there are better ways though. J
As for snake handlers…I’ve heard about them but never seen them in real life. And since I’m terrified of snakes, I wouldn’t be caught anywhere near them. lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I remember the "Hey Kids!" spiel that was employed on television in the 50's. My mom used to complain about commercials telling kids to ask their parents to buy products, but the show that really used to get her seething was a pre-Sesame Street production geared for preschoolers called "Ding Dong School." The star of the show was professional educator (Dr. Frances Horwich, "Miss Frances" to the kids) and it's held up by educators to this day as an example of what educational TV is supposed to be. Miss Frances used to earn my mother's wrath when she'd tell the kiddies, "Now, tell your Mom we're going to cook..." The last thing that we needed in our apartment was a 4 year old playing with a kitchen stove.

My mother had the same point of view about Mister Wizard, after I ruined her best enamelware saucepan carbonizing sugar like he taught me to do.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Theologically speaking, paganism is alive and well. ;)

However, strict construction tethers law to the document itself; disallowing the introduction of inane constitutional penumbra.
And the work of the actual drafting of the Constitution is reflected in The Federalist Papers penned by Hamilton, Madison, and Jay,
long held as the primary source for discerning original intent.

Original intent is one of the most intellectually dishonest shibboleths ever fabricated. If it were applied to the Free Exercise clause of the First Amendment, for instance, only those who adhere to a form of religious belief that existed in the United States in 1789 should be entitled to its protection. As a Presbyterian I'd have nothing to worry about, but if you happen to be Mormon, Seventh Day Adventist or even embrace Dispensationalist eschatology, well... none of that existed in 1789 so, too bad for you. Not a good idea at all, if you look at it honestly.

Respectfully dissent.
The First Amendment Free Exercise clause does not limit religious belief or opinions thereof; however, the actual application of
prohibited conduct, such as polygamy, is prohibited-the Court in Reynolds and later examination by the Warren Court
as to compelling interest stated such standard; which does not obviate discernment of original intent. Incorporation of
First Amendment religious rights extended to admitted states and religious faiths, such as Mormonism underscore this.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you admit to being a Christian, whichever denomination, on this side of the pond, at best it would get you patronised, worst cast though, you're a weirdo. Religion has become such a hot potato that it's only ever spoken about in hushed terms.

One subject I have learned to keep my mouth well and truly shut about, is that of children. More than once I have been questioned why I don't have any. It seems to rankle some parents that two people can get married with the intention of living childless. I have respect and admiration for parents, forever juggling their family needs, but that's not for me.

Two of my three siblings feel the same. One of my sisters has no children and is happy being a crazy cat lady, a brother had just one child, born twelve years after they married, not planned but much loved. It's probable that our childhood coloured our outlook on life. Mother died just before my tenth birthday. Dad not only raised four small children, I am the eldest, he had to fight the authorities all the way. In the 50's it was inconceivable that a man was capable of doing such a thing.

"Got any kids?" is an innocent ice breaker of course, A question I turn around: "No, what about you?" I will hear about their children and then just carefully guide the conversation away from the subject.

"Got any kids?" is an innocent ice breaker of course, A question I turn around: "No, what about you?" I will hear about their children and then just carefully guide the conversation away from the subject.

My girlfriend of 18 years and I also decided early on not to have children and have found that, that decision can provoke some people so, like you, we turn it around immediately, ask sincere questions of interest about their children and it seems to abort any issues. It seems, at least this has been my experience, once they see that we have interest in their children and are positive about children in general, they are comfortable.

I have a very close friend who has children and I've told him about this phenomenon and he says that it is, in part, because parents invest so much time, energy, emotion and money into raising their kids that some feel defensive if somebody else has made a different decision - he says that there is so much invested in the kids and it is wonderful but exhausting, that some parents get preemptively defensive if you don't have kids because they think you might be questioning their decision to have them. That's his opinion, I'm not sure, but I put it out there.

I do know that, like you, I redirect the conversation away from why we don't have kids as fast as possible and things seem to go better.

Edward

Bartender
It does seem that some parents have a significant problem with those of us who choose not to be. In my experience it seems to be mostly folks who maybe aren't entirely sure they made the right choice themselves; either that, or they're just the sort of people who need reinforcement and intepret different opinions in general as criticism of their choices. It does seem to be changing on that front, here in London at least... I think, for all sorts of reasons, we're slowly moving away from kids being an automatic norm rather than an individusl choice, which is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centurionslut