Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Absolutely
Ask women on the streets of NYC what happens when a man approaches her with a, "you look delicious today young lady" and the woman doesn't respond.
The utter hated of the woman is palpable.

Or as a local newsman used to say, "Let's go to the videotape!"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...assed-108-times-as-she-walks-around-new-york/

"Smile sweetie/honey/darling/cutie! You're so beautiful when you smile! Smile for me."

if I had a dollar for everytime I heard that one I wouldn't have a car payment. <sarcasm> But, you know, it could be worse, they could be vulgar. At least they want me to look pretty for them. I should be grateful, right?</sarcasm>

Last edited:

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
"Smile sweetie/honey/darling/cutie! You're so beautiful when you smile! Smile for me."

if I had a dollar for everytime I heard that one I wouldn't have a car payment. <sarcasm> But, you know, it could be worse, they could be vulgar. At least they want me to look pretty for them. I should be greatful, right?</sarcasm>
:) Maybe he liked you?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
%2055952016_zpsnyuospao.jpg
[video=youtube;35BwwzqNb3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BwwzqNb3g[/video]

...Voting is often like being on a jury...and it may come down to a choice of the lesser of the 2 evils...
"May come down to a choice"??? I've voted in every Presidential election since I was old enough to do so--that's nine elections so far--and I can honestly say that I've never voted for the candidate who I thought would be the better person for the job. But in every one of those elections, I did vote for the person who I thought would be the lesser of two evils and cause the least amount of damage.

...I watch Fury, and I understand why my father, grandfathers, and everybody else I know that served don't like talking about the battles...
One of the special features on the Fury Blu-Ray is about four men who were brought in as advisors because they each served as part of a U.S. tank crew in Germany during World War II. At one point during the feature, one of the actors commented that they had heard stories that these four men had never even told their own families. I've never been in the military, but I'm certain re-living the horrors of war can't be a pleasant thing to do.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I watched Fury last night based on Bushman’s recommendation. Excellent film and I’m glad I did. My uncle was at Normandy and fought all the way to Berlin. He didn’t talk much about it. In fact…he was over 80 before I ever knew he was at Normandy!

Sadly he passed on a couple of years ago. Choked on some food in a nursing home and the freaking staff did nothing to help him. What a hell of an end….

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"May come down to a choice"??? I've voted in every Presidential election since I was old enough to do so--that's nine elections so far--and I can honestly say that I've never voted for the candidate who I thought would be the better person for the job. But in every one of those elections, I did vote for the person who I thought would be the lesser of two evils and cause the least amount of damage.

That's what you end up with in a two-party system. Sure, you'll see third-party candidates on the ballot, and one of them might appeal to you, but deep in the back of your head you hear that little voice saying "he's just a spoiiiiiiiiiiiiiiler. Don't throw your vote awayyyyyyyyyyyy!"

So you choose between Comic Sans Bold or Comic Sans Light, and walk away from the polls muttering "yahhh, they're all the same anyway." If that's what The Founders, may their names be blessed, had in mind, I think they really needed to go outside for a bit and take a break until their heads cleared.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
:) Maybe he liked you?

No, they want a response. If they wanted to be friends with me, date me, sleep with me, etc. they would put a little more effort in than yelling at me in public in front of their friends.

Perhaps this is a lesson that some men need to be taught: if you like a woman and want to strike up a friendship, start having sex with her, date her, etc. the way to start that relationship is NOT TO scream "smile baby!," "work it baby!," or "you're pretty baby!" from across the street. Cross the street, introduce yourself, etc. Don't yell "compliments" about her body (even her pretty face) in an attempt to make her blush just to look like you own the street in front of your friends.

I can tell you, no woman in her right mind is going to go home with a man who yells at her out on the street. Save that kind of talk (including vulgar talk) for private times once you have established she's into you.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's what you end up with in a two-party system. Sure, you'll see third-party candidates on the ballot, and one of them might appeal to you, but deep in the back of your head you hear that little voice saying "he's just a spoiiiiiiiiiiiiiiler. Don't throw your vote awayyyyyyyyyyyy!"

So you choose between Comic Sans Bold or Comic Sans Light, and walk away from the polls muttering "yahhh, they're all the same anyway." If that's what The Founders, may their names be blessed, had in mind, I think they really needed to go outside for a bit and take a break until their heads cleared.

Last ballot I submitted (local, house of represenratives) I didn't vote for a single candidate on any of the lines. I won't vote for someone whom I don't like or whom I really disagree with. I also won't vote for someone who is running unopposed. So my ballet was plastered with "none of the above."

Don't let them tell you in NYS that you can't do a write-in with the new machines. You can. If the machine refuses it, demand your first ballot be spoiled and get another.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In Britspeak, 'love' has become a generic term when addressing a woman. A man will get called Sir, but Ma'am or Madam seems to have disappeared. Shame we don't soften madam to the French, madame. but that's not my point.

30 years a paramedic, my wife got all the usual comments: Sweetie/Love/Darling, to which she would respond: "I'm not your love, there is only one love for me, my husband." She would accompany her remarks with a withering stare of pure napalm.

There was one classic occasion when, on night duty, she was called to a young man who had collapsed in the street. (He hadn't, he was just feigning.) My wife started medical procedures, pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, that sort of thing. The guy was well known to the ambulance service. He lived a short distance from the Accident & Emergency hospital, so after drinking all his money away, an ambulance was his blue light taxi service home.

He started calling my wife, darling. She bristled, but went about her duty professionally. On and on he went, but she held back, cooing and clucking over him, treating him like he was really suffering from something life threatening. She told me that he lapped it up. So much so, that by the time they had arrived at the hospital, she had convinced him to lay still on the stretcher whilst she and her partner carried him in. He did just that, adding a few groans for effect.

The reason she wanted him laying down was so that he was disorientated, he didn't recognise the hospital that way. Well he wouldn't have recognised it sitting up. Instead of taking him the ten or twelve miles south to the hospital near his home, she had called control, who also knew of his abuse of the system, and with permission, taken him to a hospital ten miles in the opposite direction.

Call my wife darling and you can expect a twenty mile walk home.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Around here, "dear," pronounced "deeah," is the all-purpose form of address for people you don't know by name, and is often applied to both men and women. *But it's only acceptable when it's used by a native Mainer over the age of forty or so.* If some middle-class guy from Connecticut called me "dear," pronouncing the final "r", I'd tell him exactly where to get off. If a sixty-year-old electrician calls me "deeah" I never give it a second thought. If his twenty-five year old son calls me "deeah" I tell him where to get off. It's as much a cultural issue as it is a gender issue.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I had a plumber call me "little lady" the other day. I am six inches taller than he is.

Aside from a really corny John Wayne impression, I usually reserve that term of address for the daughters of friends who are under the age of four. I'd say that there's at least one plumber in the state of Maine who needs to learn more than "hot on the left, cold on the right, and s*** flows down."

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
No, they want a response. If they wanted to be friends with me, date me, sleep with me, etc. they would put a little more effort in than yelling at me in public in front of their friends.

Perhaps this is a lesson that some men need to be taught: if you like a woman and want to strike up a friendship, start having sex with her, date her, etc. the way to start that relationship is NOT TO scream "smile baby!," "work it baby!," or "you're pretty baby!" from across the street. Cross the street, introduce yourself, etc. Don't yell "compliments" about her body (even her pretty face) in an attempt to make her blush just to look like you own the street in front of your friends.

I can tell you, no woman in her right mind is going to go home with a man who yells at her out on the street. Save that kind of talk (including vulgar talk) for private times once you have established she's into you.

I can't imaging a woman in her right mind wanting to end up with something like this, even back in the day:
Jimmy Cagney.jpg

For the record: Cagney never said this, in character or in real life. It's an ongoing joke between one of my best friends and lodge brother, and our wives. We both married educated and ambitious women: his wife is currently in grad school, mine has two masters, and they both tolerate (sometimes, barely) their husbands' humor. The idea was to come up with "an old time movie actor" who'd come up with an obnoxious, sexist, patronizing spiel. It came down to Bogart and Cagney, and we decided that the women that Bogie attracted in his films were too sophisticated to fall for it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I can't imaging a woman in her right mind wanting to end up with something like this, even back in the day:
View attachment 25982

For the record: Cagney never said this, in character or in real life. It's an ongoing joke between one of my best friends and lodge brother, and our wives. We both married educated and ambitious women: his wife is currently in grad school, mine has two masters, and they both tolerate (sometimes, barely) their husbands' humor. The idea was to come up with "an old time movie actor" who'd come up with an obnoxious, sexist, patronizing spiel. It came down to Bogart and Cagney, and we decided that the women that Bogie attracted in his films were too sophisticated to fall for it.

The only thing that could make this funnier is if his wife is played by Blanche Payson.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
With the Props Department providing the sufficient number of rolling pins, of course.

2642475-jigg19.jpg

In all seriousness, this type of image -- the dominant wife keeping the scheming husband under her thumb -- was *the* dominant image of marriage in the popular culture of the Era, going all the way back to the early years of the 20th Century. Women held far more power than modern revisionists want to admit -- with husbands working long hours at the factory or the mill, women essentially made all the decisions in the home about how the money was to be spent, how the children were to be raised, and on and on. With women also gaining political power outside the home during these years, the anxiety many men felt over rapidly-changing roles came thru again and again in the popular culture. The Era was very much *not* the "man's world" a lot of men today like to fantasize that it was, and gender roles were changing and evolving in just about every way long before the Sixties.

Last edited:

I believe that ego also plays a part in the whole thing because everybody wants to be on what they perceive to be the "winning team," even if that particular team had lost, whether it's the Tweedle-dumb or Tweedle-dumber Party. A mentality that ensures that any third party will never grow and mature into a significant political force.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az