Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Not sure what 'large' size is going to end up meaning, but it's a Cross-Country supposedly in good shape:

1950's Dobbs Cross-Country

!Bg9m81!!2k~$(KGrHqQH-DoEsMEvR6giBLHF8IoQQg~~_12.JPg
Good Luck--nice price--generally excellent felt--probably the same as a Knox Vagabond. This is more recent than the ones I have.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Good Luck--nice price--generally excellent felt--probably the same as a Knox Vagabond. This is more recent than the ones I have.

Yep, yours were old. I have been hoping to land a Cross Country and a Vagabond in my size, just to check them out.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
A Dobbs of dubious heritage...

This Dobbs arrived today. It was sold on eBay as a 1940's fedora. It isn't of course, but I knew that when I bought it. The liner logo is the one they used for decades so it doesn't help us much. The sweatband is blank and modern, so it's possible that it's a replacement. Does Hatco now use blank sweats on its Dobbs line?

The Union tag behind the size label (which is dual sized 7 1/4, 58) is for the Amalgamated Clothing & Textile Workers Union (founded in 1976 and merged with another Union in 1996). Again, it's possible that this tag belongs with the replaced sweat.

Most likely, though, is that it's a hat from the 80s. That's the vibe it gives me.

It is a lovely soft, pliable felt that holds whatever crease it's given. It arrived open crown and I gave it a centre dent and pinches.

Brim: 2 1/2 " unbound
Crown: 4 1/2 creased; 5" open
Ribbon: just over 1"

SDC10414.jpg
SDC10413.jpg
SDC10411.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
This Dobbs arrived today. It was sold on eBay as a 1940's fedora. It isn't of course, but I knew that when I bought it. The liner logo is the one they used for decades so it doesn't help us much. The sweatband is blank and modern, so it's possible that it's a replacement. Does Hatco now use blank sweats on its Dobbs line?

The Union tag behind the size label (which is dual sized 7 1/4, 58) is for the Amalgamated Clothing & Textile Workers Union (founded in 1976 and merged with another Union in 1996). Again, it's possible that this tag belongs with the replaced sweat.

Most likely, though, is that it's a hat from the 80s. That's the vibe it gives me.

You're spot on with the age. I'm positive that's the original sweatband, but I'm not sure why it isn't stamped "Dobbs" in gold, as the hats I've seen from Garland during the era are stamped.

Just for comparison, I went and looked at my Stetson that I purchased new in late 1983 or early 1984 (my first new fedora!), and it still has the UHCMW International union label on the size tag. The UHCMW merged with the Amalgamated Clothing & Textile Workers Union sometime in 1983, so mine's from earlier in 1983, before the merger. Yours, then, is post-merger, after 1983. Narrowed down to less than a decade!

Nice-looking Dobbs, Mr. Tutt!

Brad

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Many thanks for that Brad. I agree with all you've said. I still can't figure out why the sweat is blank. Most makers will supply blank replacement parts if asked (as Akubra do), but for some reason Dobbs seems to have released this hat with a blank sweatband. Maybe their stamper was in for repairs that day!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
4147467341_f702d33b12_b.jpg

Heather Mix of blue and green felts with green ribbon. 2" overwelt brim with Derby-style flanging, 6" open crown. Hat is incredibly dirty and somewhat missshapen and no clue as to original crease if any. Many dirt lines and dirt circle at top of crown. Interior of crown photo is closest to the correct color. Early Dobbs stamp and taped sweatband seam. I'll revisit after cleaning.
After cleaning:
4185947060_c0745eb5ef_b.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

(Optimo, I presume?)

Sue
Thanks, Sue. Another Optimo transformation. I was a bit worried when I received the crushed filthy mess described "The hat is in bran new condition and it has never been worn" by the seller.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Dobbs 5th Ave. Straw

I'm going to be listing this hat on eBay in the next few days, and was wondering if anyone could give me some idea as to the age of this hat?

4173002586_0b6302a77c_o.jpg

4173002592_22acc4b33f_o.jpg

4173002600_d6dd4caa47_o.jpg

The sweatband has what I assume is a store name stamped in it, but it's mostly worn off. Goudchaux's is what it looks like to me.

It's labeled as a 7 1/4 but fits much smaller, so it's gotta go.

Anyone have an idea it's age? Thanks in advance!

Randy

rlk

I'll Lock Up
mid-50's Chocolate Dobbs

4195913924_d3cc914549_b.jpg
4195914126_6e19f8ace6_b.jpg

4195157415_5736e2bc99_o.jpg
2-1/4" Guild Edge. The moths nibbled the underside but left the top alone. Accordion type leather sweatband is fine and true to size.

amynbebes

New in Town
I came across a gorgeous Dobbs 20 derby in my parent's attic the other day. It's absolute perfection on the outside and just shows a bit of wear on the label on the satin(?) inner liner. My parents have no clue where it came from and think they must have gotten it an an auction. I'll have to take a pic of it this week :)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
amynbebes said:
I came across a gorgeous Dobbs 20 derby in my parent's attic the other day. It's absolute perfection on the outside and just shows a bit of wear on the label on the satin(?) inner liner. My parents have no clue where it came from and think they must have gotten it an an auction. I'll have to take a pic of it this week :)

Looking forward to seeing it!

Brad

Marc-Ange Draco

New in Town
I have just noticed that my newly acquired Dobbs Fifteen has "made in Italy under license" stamped under the Dobbs logo, a search was fruitless (but that could be me), is there a consensus about the made in Italy varieties?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Marc-Ange Draco said:
I have just noticed that my newly acquired Dobbs Fifteen has "made in Italy under license" stamped under the Dobbs logo, a search was fruitless (but that could be me), is there a consensus about the made in Italy varieties?

No consensus yet, as this is the first one to turn up. You'll have to be the judge.:)

We've seen Dobbs hats made under license in Canada, and also West Germany. So who had the license in Italy?

Brad

Marc-Ange Draco

New in Town
I am vastly under qualified to judge the quality since this is my first older hat.

I did wear the hat for Christmas day though and it looked wonderful and performed great so i guess that is all that matters :)

It would be fantastic to find out more about it of course...

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
Picked up these 2 Dobbs hats on the bay recently.
First one was listed as a "Baskin" and I have no idea when it is from. It is a taupe colour with black ribbon. It is in great condition, if slightly dusty. It is the firmest fedora I own and I was surprised by how stiff it is. As you can see in the pics, the sweatband is pretty beat up. It leaves little black pieces stuck to my forehead.

S8001530.jpg

S8001529.jpg

S8001531.jpg

S8001533.jpg

S8001528.jpg

S8001550.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe