Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dark Side to Vintage...have you 'that' urge for a Gothic look..?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jamespowers said:
If this one stared at me, I don't think I could sleep. :eek: :p

Regards,

J
He is beginning to speak to me...

Haversack said:
Those are great masks. Its good that Venice's mask-making industry is keeping those skills alive. Recreating skills is a slow process and you never know exactly if you got it right. Still, it is a great feeling when the researched technique works. My downstairs neighbor does Commedia and has made several moulded-leather masks using researched methods. He is currently working on a Capitano with a rude 7" nose.

Haversack.
Thank you very much. The rather elaborate one was made by the gentleman who made the masks for Eyes Wide Shut. He is a very interesting fellow and very passionate about what he does.

Email me some of your neighbor's work sometime. I would love to see it.

reetpleat said:
Actually, the goths who are into dressing rather period, drinking absinth and what not, and being kind of victorian dandies I like a lot. I feel we are kindred spirits feeling an affinity for a better time that we missed. O could easily get into that.

But as far as the more pedestrian scene, which involves dying your hair black and wearing big crosses, or the kind of bondage fetish look, well to each his own, but I have no interest or admiration.

Yes and I think there is a huge difference between the two. How they get lumped into one group really mystifies me. There should be a point of demarcation between the two.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Yes and I think there is a huge difference between the two. How they get lumped into one group really mystifies me. There should be a point of demarcation between the two.

The goth scenes like that though, there's a variety of styles within it. And ridiculous amounts of websites listing all the different styles.. and even more sites parodying those.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
I'm very into psychobilly music & the scene. It's music that is basically the mixing of rockabilly, surf, blues, country, etc. with punkish tendencies, and "dark" lyrics. It's pretty much all tongue in cheek though, songs about zombie attacks, hot rod demons, etc. It's great fun!

And the style of the scene is very cool too, it's like a mixing of punk, vintage and goth sometimes. here are two psychobilly guys:

457188771_l.jpg

Of course, it's a far cry from "vintage", but I'd say the styles and sounds of the past are at least 85% responsible for how the scene is today.

When you say, "tongue in cheek", do you mean in an exampled way? lol

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
TheKitschGoth said:
The goth scenes like that though, there's a variety of styles within it. And ridiculous amounts of websites listing all the different styles.. and even more sites parodying those.
Are there names and definitions to the subgroups? I'd be curious to know.

Novella

Practically Family
The Victorian period is definitely runner up favorite time period.

caillebotteparisarainyday.bmp

I like the dark moodiness associated with the period.

fsdaning.jpg

And the lighter elements. (Long live the British costume drama!)

But the goth look that derives its style from Victorian elements isn't my thing. I like black clothing, but not so much the kind considered goth. Just isn't my thing.

To everyone their own though. I respect others' fashion choices regardless of whether or not I would wear them myself.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Wow! How do they differentiate and is there a one group is better than another attitude among the subgroups?

Regards,

J

I can't say for sure, but I imagine there is a certain amount of snobbery amongst some, while others are more laid back. It tends to be a scene that is based on being in the know, and having your look just right, kind of like the 60s mod look. But I can't say for sure.

I think in smaller scenes, they are probably just glad to have other people to hang out with.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
I can't say for sure, but I imagine there is a certain amount of snobbery amongst some, while others are more laid back. It tends to be a scene that is based on being in the know, and having your look just right, kind of like the 60s mod look. But I can't say for sure.

I think in smaller scenes, they are probably just glad to have other people to hang out with.

Yeah, it's fairly elitest. Each group tends to assume they are the "true" goths, and the others are beneath them. Though there are plenty of people who think it's all very amusing and just want to dress up, get drunk and dance.

Very very silly definitions

The main splits in the scene really are..
Romantic/Victorian Goth
Traditional Goth
Deathrock/Post punk - Thats a bloke btw
Cybergoth

and not to be mistaken for a goth..
[Edit: a dead link was removed. -HJ]

B

BAZ

pigeon toe said:
I'm very into psychobilly music & the scene. It's music that is basically the mixing of rockabilly, surf, blues, country, etc. with punkish tendencies, and "dark" lyrics. It's pretty much all tongue in cheek though, songs about zombie attacks, hot rod demons, etc. It's great fun!

And the style of the scene is very cool too, it's like a mixing of punk, vintage and goth sometimes. here are two psychobilly guys:

457188771_l.jpg

Of course, it's a far cry from "vintage", but I'd say the styles and sounds of the past are at least 85% responsible for how the scene is today.
KING KURT???
There's a name from the old days. Used to be chums with them and follow 'em around back in the early 80's!!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
TheKitschGoth said:
Yeah, it's fairly elitest. Each group tends to assume they are the "true" goths, and the others are beneath them. Though there are plenty of people who think it's all very amusing and just want to dress up, get drunk and dance.

Very very silly definitions

The main splits in the scene really are..
Romantic/Victorian Goth
Traditional Goth
Deathrock/Post punk - Thats a bloke btw
Cybergoth

and not to be mistaken for a goth..
[Edit: a dead link was removed. -HJ]

I can not figure out if the emo look is an outgrowth of goth or not. It seems to have evolved nad be similar, but also seems to have a connection to the seventies prepunk look of New YOrk Dolls, etc. Not that most wearers these days have much of a knowledge of the past in any scene.

But I have been a casual observer of subcultur trends for years. Interesting to watch the evolution.

Ispent an evening on Wikipedia following all the sub permutations of the goth scene and its origins. Interesting.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
Here in Tejas we have an offshoot called Vatobilly, that's a blending of Rockabilly and Tejano. A friend of mine was a founding member of such a bank back in the 90's, The Dropkick Chijuajuas. We used to be really into it too, then that led so swing, and you know were that led, this whole vintage obsession:eusa_doh:

Vatobilly! I've never heard of that, but that's probably what LA psychobilly should be called, as the majority of psychobillies here are Latino! :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
TheKitschGoth said:

Agreed. It's just like on the vintage scene there's the rockabillys, the swing kids, etc... it seems lots of different social circles have their variences.

reetpleat said:
I can not figure out if the emo look is an outgrowth of goth or not.

Definately not. As TheKitschGoth noted, it's descended from Punk. i was into emo for a few good years, and it was really amusing when the venues our concerts were held at were the same as Goth clubs. Everyone gave everyone else the stare down. It was all rather silly. I always figured live and let live- I know my interests aren't compacted enough to make me not see the good things in many different interest groups.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
BAZ said:
KING KURT???
There's a name from the old days. Used to be chums with them and follow 'em around back in the early 80's!!

Ah yes! They are a great band. I have some of their albums, but they are one of those bands where, though a lot of psychobillies love them, I'm not sure if they fall 100% into the genre. That's cool that you knew them! A lot of the most popular and well-respected psychobilly bands are from the 80's, and luckily, most of them are still playing shows today.

Barry

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
A lot of the most popular and well-respected psychobilly bands are from the 80's, and luckily, most of them are still playing shows today.

I still like to go to shows although I get weird looks from some of the kids. "Uh, dude, what kind of jacket is that exactly?" "It's called a Hollywood jacket." "Uh, what's that??"

I saw the Phenomenauts (not really hard-driving psychobilly, but sort of the Man or Astro Man of rockabilly, I guess) and some guys that worked for XM radio came up and insisted that I looked like "Lou Brutus" from Fungus 53. I think it's because I was wearing a cap and I was also one of the older people there.

I insisted that they play more psychobilly and replay Hee Haw Hell more often. Had a nice conversation about Charley Horse and some other bands.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley