Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dark Side to Vintage...have you 'that' urge for a Gothic look..?

The frock coat is a good look. As someone pointed out earlier it does tend to bring some baggage and assumptions with it these days. If i really had guts i'd dress like this:

1.jpg

but i prefer this:

Incroyables.jpg

bk

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those are great prints.

I was thinking of this:

I am going to get a frock coat. I want one with the buttons in the back and the interesting vents. I haven't quite decided how to incorporate it in with everything else, but I will.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Baron Kurtz said:

*swoons* One of my favorite looks on men. No joke.

I dig the Goth style. I like the whole idea of it and I find I'm pretty drawn to it. I know lots of wonderful people into the Gothic subculture and people who were goth before. I suppose in high school I was borderline goth. I would totally dress in corsets and skirts everyday if I thought I could get away with it. I love it to death. (muahaha. ok. bad joke).

But seriously, I think it's beautiful and I really admire a lot of the gothic people I know for their love of history and the ones into the Victorian time period for remembering what composed so much of that time period. It wasn't just tea parties and flowers and big poofy dresses. It was a time of a lot of darkness- in stories, in life, etc.
I know I've posted them before, but here's some of me in my black victorian:
mourningfinished.jpg

victorian2_000.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
But of course the Victorian era was also a time of spectacular color and high style. So much of what we believe about that time comes to us from dark old photograph. Lauren - have you seen some of the amazing textiles from that time? Neat stuff. The night Lincoln was shot, he was wearing new boots with shocking red goatskin tops!
But the excessive mourning of Queen Victoria also provided a dark palette. Which makes the whole period very fascinating indeed.

And, Lauren, I love seeing those pics every time. Wonderful!

Haversack

One Too Many
Mr. Jones wrote: "Seriously though, not really Goth, but certainly dramatic, I am in the market for a frock coat for that 19th Century look and I am going to assemble a full Venetian 17th Century Carnivale costume with a white La Bauta mask. I already have the mask."

I did a little looking and noted that there is a design studio in Venice specializing in historic Carnival costumes which has an English-language. It is at: http://www.pietrolonghi.com/

If that is a little rich, then you might want to check out the 18th C. civilian coats which James Townsend makes and sells. They are not fancy, but are decent value. It can be seen at:
http://jas-townsend.com/product_inf...d=472&osCsid=ccb9597356498692fe22405fdede1506

Haversack.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the links, Haversack. I appreciate it. ;) Great stuff.

I picked up my love for this look in Venice when I was there in November. I spent nearly as much time in the mask and costume shops as I did in the museums.

Here are the masks that I bought in Venice. They state at me while I sleep:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
*swoons* One of my favorite looks on men. No joke.

I dig the Goth style. I like the whole idea of it and I find I'm pretty drawn to it. I know lots of wonderful people into the Gothic subculture and people who were goth before. I suppose in high school I was borderline goth. I would totally dress in corsets and skirts everyday if I thought I could get away with it. I love it to death. (muahaha. ok. bad joke).

But seriously, I think it's beautiful and I really admire a lot of the gothic people I know for their love of history and the ones into the Victorian time period for remembering what composed so much of that time period. It wasn't just tea parties and flowers and big poofy dresses. It was a time of a lot of darkness- in stories, in life, etc.
I know I've posted them before, but here's some of me in my black victorian:
mourningfinished.jpg

victorian2_000.jpg

Actually, the goths who are into dressing rather period, drinking absinth and what not, and being kind of victorian dandies I like a lot. I feel we are kindred spirits feeling an affinity for a better time that we missed. O could easily get into that.

But as far as the more pedestrian scene, which involves dying your hair black and wearing big crosses, or the kind of bondage fetish look, well to each his own, but I have no interest or feel no particular affinity. But hey, vive le difference.

Around Seattle there don't seem to be much of the historical look. I will bet in London or New York there is a lot more of that.

Haversack

One Too Many
Those are great masks. Its good that Venice's mask-making industry is keeping those skills alive. Recreating skills is a slow process and you never know exactly if you got it right. Still, it is a great feeling when the researched technique works. My downstairs neighbor does Commedia and has made several moulded-leather masks using researched methods. He is currently working on a Capitano with a rude 7" nose.

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley