Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I don't know... I think things got in a vicious circle. Things will not change until the one who owns the world's money looses it to everyone.

There's nothing wrong with having money. I just wish I had more of it, a lot more of it! Do you know how many 4-5 inches wide brim Westerns you could buy with a million dollars? A lot!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
There's nothing wrong with having money. I just wish I had more of it, a lot more of it! Do you know how many 4-5 inches wide brim Westerns you could buy with a million dollars? A lot!
I could save them all from being trimmed.
I also wish I earn more money. Like I say to my friends, I only need 1 work day of Cristiano Ronaldo to live 1 year without work and to buy some hats.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I could save them all from being trimmed.
I also wish I earn more money. Like I say to my friends, I only need 1 work day of Cristiano Ronaldo to live 1 year without work and to buy some hats.

Ha! You could start a Wide Brim rescue shelter! If I had that kind of money I would definitely be making my contribution to the hat economy! I wouldn't have to worry about being outbid on ebay either! I would buy up all the hats and then I would have a hat monoply! Everyone would have to come to me for a vintage hat!...In me power!!!! BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!.....sorry, the moment got away from me :D

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Ha! You could start a Wide Brim rescue shelter! If I had that kind of money I would definitely be making my contribution to the hat economy! I wouldn't have to worry about being outbid on ebay either! I would buy up all the hats and then I would have a hat monoply! Everyone would have to come to me for a vintage hat!...In me power!!!! BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!.....sorry, the moment got away from me :D

Western hat rescue shelter! Now please step down to earth ;) Even if I had a lot of money, I wouldn't just "throw it in the air". It's not good to monopolize something.

Back on topic (sort of):
Finished sewing the sweatband to the hat. Not a perfect job (I think not even a good job) as this proved to be harder than I expected, so it was made like in "express mode". Might try to tighten the stitches later as they became a bit loose. What matters to me is that it is not glued and can be easily fixed later.
30xsweat09.jpg

30xsweat10.jpg

30xsweat11.jpg

With it on:
20140503.jpg

Might try some vintage ribbons I got from Ole as this hatband makes it look like a "motorhead hat".

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Western hat rescue shelter! Now please step down to earth ;) Even if I had a lot of money, I wouldn't just "throw it in the air". It's not good to monopolize something.

Back on topic (sort of):
Finished sewing the sweatband to the hat. Not a perfect job (I think not even a good job) as this proved to be harder than I expected, so it was made like in "express mode". Might try to tighten the stitches later as they became a bit loose. What matters to me is that it is not glued and can be easily fixed later.

30xsweat11.jpg

With it on:
20140503.jpg

Might try some vintage ribbons I got from Ole as this hatband makes it look like a "motorhead hat".
I struggle sewing in sweat bands too. I have pretty large hands and wrists plus a touch of arthritis in each of my thumbs. I try to do as good of job of it as I can. Regardless, my sweat sewing, more than likely, wouldn't meet the standards of some here. But I don't care. I want to wear my hats. So as long as I can get it on my head comfortably with no major issues, and the hat still looks good, I'm the only one who has to be satsfied as far as I'm concerned. It may not be the prettiest sewing job, but if it does what you want it to do and you can't see it on the outside, you're the one who matters.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I struggle sewing in sweat bands too. I have pretty large hands and wrists plus a touch of arthritis in each of my thumbs. I try to do as good of job of it as I can. Regardless, my sweat sewing, more than likely, wouldn't meet the standards of some here. But I don't care. I want to wear my hats. So as long as I can get it on my head comfortably with no major issues, and the hat still looks good, I'm the only one who has to be satsfied as far as I'm concerned. It may not be the prettiest sewing job, but if it does what you want it to do and you can't see it on the outside, you're the one who matters.
That is what I was thinking when I was doing it. Because I did it by hand, the stitches are not tighten as if it was done with a machine (or similar contraption). Maybe I can sew it again better because now it is in place. As long it doesn't fall off, not being held with glue and be comfortable to wear, I think it's a win-win situation.

If the sewing is functional that's all that matters Lemmy ;)
Ahahahah lol. As long the thread doesn't break and the sweatband doesn't fall off, I think it's good to go. ;)

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Just don't put a huge metal skull and crossbones on the front of the crown, like the lead singer from The Cult used to have his big black western hat.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm skull and bones on my hat... let me see some pictures :)

EDIT: no, too big. That thing is too big and must be heavy making the hat uncomfortable to wear.
A cowboy hat here already turn heads... with too much bling it may became ridiculous.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Another conversion done! I really like this one...This was a 3X Open Road. I reblocked the crown to make it more straight sided with deep dents, pounced it, sewed in a new sweat, (my thanks to John Galt), and added a contrasting medium brown mid-ribbon with double bow, (my thanks to Ole). I went with a C-Crown crease, 4 1/2 inches tall at the pinch and shaped the brim to give it something of a Raiders swoop...I tried to give the hat a bit of a Raiders / LC look to it when viewed from the front...(but obviously, with my own touches)...

The_3_X_01.jpg

The_3_X_03.jpg

The_3_X_04.jpg

The_3_X_05.jpg

The_3_X_06.jpg

This is a real comfortable sweat.

The_3_X_07.jpg

Thanks again John G. and Ole for your help...

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Ha! I guess that's one way to put a smile on my face! Although I kinda look constipated in that picture! :D

Yeah, I agree there's too much Mona Lisa in that smile. Like Leonardo, I skipped my "Paint A Smile" classes lol

Nice to see, you didn't skip any classes. I really like the result ;)

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I retrieved a hat from the clutches of the dreaded USPS this morning. They decided it wasn't acceptable to drop it at my office, so they re-routed it to the local branch office for pick-up in person.

Here's a couple of shots of the sorry state of the hat before John got his hands on it.

As received from the seller. Note the care with which the hat was packaged.
Worth 3.jpg

And after pulling it from its cramped container.
Worth 4.jpg

The staff at the Post Office took a while to locate the package, but eventually handed it to me. I wasted no time opening the box and trying it on.
Worth_Rescue _1.jpg Worth_Rescue_2.jpg

It now sits proudly on my desk wating to protect me from the afternoon sun.
Worth_Rescue_3.jpg Worth_Rescue_4.jpg

Many thanks to John Galt for taking this basket case and turning it into something worth wearing again. We exchanged emails over a period of time after he had a chance to review the hat and develop a basic plan. His suggestions to trim the brim, change the ribbon and create a Playboy clone were spot on. He took the time to do it right, replacing the sweat and preserving the liner. Looks like his flanging rig worked perfectly for this one.

Thanks again, John! I'll probably be following up with you about working on the hat that's slightly off-center in the near future.

- Mark (S-4-C)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82