Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Bela, sounds good. With horshair in the Brim? For a stiffener brim, holds it better in shape?

Guess it will help to stiff it a bit... in the past they´ve used cork, leather and thicker fabric layers and stuff like that for brims. The stuff I use for the brim has leather-like qualities... together with the horsehair it will be a good thing... and as it´s from the 50s it means that it´s real horsehair and not what you can get mostly nowadays.
I avoid working with synthetics every where I can.

Those caps you´ve linked look nice... but the fibre mixture is not my taste.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I received my cap from Johnny yesterday but was way to busy to take pictures. So here they are the cap is a gray linen with a brown pinstripe.
Johnny%20cap%201.jpg

Johnny%20cap%202.jpg

side%20view%20of%20cap.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2028%2C%205%2003%2057%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2028%2C%205%2004%2011%20PM.jpg

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I am seriously considering purchasing my first cap. I just got an email ad from the Village Hat Shop and saw this newsboy. What do you cap experts think? Would this be a good starter?

http://www.villagehatshop.com/city-...+Sport+Caps+-+Summer+2012+Wave+1+(06/28/2012)

I'm a fan of the City Sport caps. The secret I think with buying City Sport caps, for me anyway, is to look for those with the extended brim - their extended size brims are really good. 2 and 5/8 seems like it is probably the extended size. With the newsboys they have three sizes... a smaller size that has the smaller brim, a size that is similar (that I have three of) but which has the extended brim, and there is also an oversize newsboy, which I've only seen sold on a US site - http://hats-plus.com/p-1154-city-sport-linen-newsboy-cap.aspx - Hats Plus individually sizes their City Sport Caps, which is always better than the M, X and L business.

Earland Bros on ebay has Donegal Tweed City Sport Caps at a good price, and the classic cap company website has them unbranded (they just say made in Europe) at a good price and with registered post that is as cheap as you will get for international shipping. Both these sellers have individual sizing, which I recommend - the sizing of City Sport are pretty snug, so if you are inbetween sizes, I'd go the larger. City Sport is a good choice for a first time cap buying - individual sizing, good value and attention to detail. They are not quite up there in style for the real hardlined vintage officianados, but they are blocked, patterns are carefully aligned, and they do have a bit of flair about them... oh yes, their fabrics seem very good... lots of variety.

Last edited:

Hepville

One of the Regulars
So the first fabrics for the new caps have arrived!
Some r´n´b from Lula Reed will give me a fine background music to start working with the caps :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe