Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Borsalino Ta Fazara fedora in Mirtillo colour. Size 58 with the triple stitched overwelt brim at 6cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Sold to me as a black hat, this is not the first time the hat turned out to be a dark blue Mirtillo coloured one. The model has been seen before, but it is rare. What is even more rare are the purple liner and white sweatband. Extremely cool. The hat is lightweight at 100 grams, is very soft with a great hand to the felt. Works brim up, like I photographed it here, and brim down (better up, I think).
I'm bummed out though, because it isn't my size and I will be letting this one go. Imported by Ferner Jacobsen of Oslo, Norway.

borsalino ta fazara_01.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_02.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_03.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_04.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_05.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_06.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_08.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_09.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_10.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_13.jpg

Mighty44

One Too Many
Borsalino Ta Fazara fedora in Mirtillo colour. Size 58 with the triple stitched overwelt brim at 6cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Sold to me as a black hat, this is not the first time the hat turned out to be a dark blue Mirtillo coloured one. The model has been seen before, but it is rare. What is even more rare are the purple liner and white sweatband. Extremely cool. The hat is lightweight at 100 grams, is very soft with a great hand to the felt. Works brim up, like I photographed it here, and brim down (better up, I think).
I'm bummed out though, because it isn't my size and I will be letting this one go. Imported by Ferner Jacobsen of Oslo, Norway.

borsalino ta fazara_01.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_02.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_03.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_04.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_05.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_06.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_08.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_09.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_10.jpg

borsalino ta fazara_13.jpg
o_O

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This purchase was a matter of mere curiosity
MAcciaio 5.jpg MQuaglia 6.jpg
Two hats with the same shape, differing in the color of the felt, same size sold in Cortina d'Ampezzo, the queen ski resort in the Dolomites
MAcciaio 4.jpg MQuaglia 1.jpg
Borsalino Qualità Extra Eextra Superiore Size 7 or 61 cm. but suitable for a head size 60 or 7 1/2 in the USA. The felt is a mixture, one called "Misto Acciao" (Mixed Steel), the other "Misto Quaglia" (Misto Quail)
MAcciaio Interno.jpg
MQuaglia interno.jpg
The linings are of different colors and the finishes denote quality hats and certainly high priced hats sold in Cortina d'Ampezzo
MAcciaio 7.jpg MQuaglia 9.jpg
The ribbons are one of the examples of Borsalino's "creativity" in a period of great change in the aesthetics of hats.
Presumably the 1960s from the shape and proportions of our subjects. Bought in a branch of a shop of which I can't find any trace, probably during a holiday stay
MAcciaio marocchino.jpg
Let's talk about felt which is one of those to remember in the immense production of Borsalino, when marketing research required having particular products different from the competition.
The Misto (Mix) is a combination of fur and wool to be able to obtain this type of melange colors with the stitching on the sides to embellish the workmanship.
MAcciaio particolare feltro A.jpg

I think this is one of the last purchases, out of pure curiosity, in this period of my life as a collector. We'll see what the future temptations will be :)

Borsalino extra Lusso fedora in black. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 7cm and the crown at 10,5 cm at the center dent. Bit of an oddity this one. No label behind the unreeded sweatband and the liner is not a Borsalino liner, so I'm thinking it is a replacement. Still sewn in, so an early replacement. The size label on the sweatband is the same as the ones we find on the earlier Borsalinos separates from the main label. The Borsalino logo is the smaller one we also see sometimes on earlier Borsalinos. The has me thinking this is likely from the late thirties or early forties. Great hand to the felt and it weighs 108 grams.

borsalino lusso_01.jpg

borsalino lusso_02.jpg

borsalino lusso_03.jpg

borsalino lusso_04.jpg

borsalino lusso_05.jpg

borsalino lusso_06.jpg

borsalino lusso_07.jpg

borsalino lusso_08.jpg

borsalino lusso_09.jpg

borsalino lusso_10.jpg

My hat maker told me today that Borsalino is trying to build back the old quality back into their hats. Is this true, are things getting better quality wise?
I couldn't tell you about the quality of their current hats, because I don't have one. No doubt they still produce very fine hats, but I think it wouldn't make much sense for them to strive for "vintage" quality felts. The fur trade is only a fraction of what it once was and there no longer won't be a large quantity of premium furs to choose from. The number of hatters has declined as well to make those truly high end hats and most of their clients are only interested in a recognisable "brand" anyway and likely couldn't tell a quality felt from their elbow.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
My hat maker told me today that Borsalino is trying to build back the old quality back into their hats. Is this true, are things getting better quality wise?

I couldn't tell you about the quality of their current hats, because I don't have one. No doubt they still produce very fine hats, but I think it wouldn't make much sense for them to strive for "vintage" quality felts. The fur trade is only a fraction of what it once was and there no longer won't be a large quantity of premium furs to choose from. The number of hatters has declined as well to make those truly high end hats and most of their clients are only interested in a recognisable "brand" anyway and likely couldn't tell a quality felt from their elbow.

I agree with, Stefan.

I do own a couple of modern Borsalinos. One of them I bought new in 2016. I'm glad I bought it, but quality wise, my vintage Borsalinos are much better.

Price wise, I could have bought 3-4 better quality vintage Borsalinos.

Emotionally, I'd be sad to see Borsalino go out of business. But the only way they can survive is on their name alone. They can produce vintage looking hats, but they can't go back to vintage quality. It would be too time consuming and cost ineffective.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
But, perhaps... but it's a chimera.
It may be that Borsalino "recovers" some vintage hats in the shapes and finishes and the felt is adequate for the purpose, but I see this marketing operation as very limited by the needs of the current clientele reduced to putting a brand on their head, no matter what its support is .
I agree with Stefan and Steve's analysis who, as good Europeans, have an eye accustomed to the trajectories of Borsalino. As an Italian I can tell you that I might be surprised by Borsalino's moves, but after the Bogart which has the appearance of a vintage hat nothing more remarkable has arrived on the market.
We'll see...with little hope
The current felt collection is not impressive :) at all

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az