Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Edward

Bartender
Doran said:
Believe it or not, I think the "like" usage occurs in Clockwork Orange. The book, at least.

That's proper horrorshow.

People who say "cheap at half the price" in contexts where they actually mean "cheap at twice the price" irritate me. W'll not even go near "the proof is in the pudding." :rage:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"We'll beat their price, or its free!" :eusa_doh:

Of course you will beat their price! It will NEVER be free, you're not that stupid a business person. Those who believe that saying are are that stupid.

LD

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
"We'll beat their price, or its free!" :eusa_doh:

Of course you will beat their price! It will NEVER be free, you're not that stupid a business person. Those who believe that saying are are that stupid.

LD

Agreed. The problem is, most people see the word "free" in its usual colourful, blown-up, and bubbled portrayal in an advertisement and think "OMGAH its free! I have to check that out!"
Yes, I too have fallen victim and been attracted to the apparent freeness of things. I felt so dumb, I have stayed wholly cynical of advertisements ever since.

MrNewportCustom said:
You mean, "Believe it or don't", I presume. :D

Lee

Ripley has invaded the language.
robert-ripley-243x328.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
In certain circles it's used as a true statement for an accidental Political Correctness faux pas.

In others it's used to indicate a disdain for the same Political Correctness.

I think from Seinfeld usage, it is even more subtle than that. It is denying being something vehemently, which might be construed as an insult by virtue of political correctness.

But the speaker wishes to stress that they do not pass any judgement. The joke from the show was that they felt the need to repeat it every time they said someting about (I think) homosexuality. As in "I'm not gay!!! Not that there's anything wrong with that." I have never heard anyone use it in anything but a facetious manner. I find it hilarious and have used it more than once.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
Now just how did that catch on? Were California-born citizens saying "like," such as that (to avoid another usage of the word "like") decades ago? When did this "like" phenomenon originate, exactly? Was it during the 1960s from the hippie movements or something? I've heard some say 1980s too.

It originated in the 40s and 50s, in the black jazz hipster scene. It was used to indicate a subtle suggestion that mere words are not quite good enough to describe certain complex ideas.

It worked its way into the white community as black slang always does, through white interest in this black music scene. It took hold with the beatnik jazz afficianodos who probably found it very slick in terms of their esoteric philisophical posturing, etc. to suggest a sophistication of thought beyond language.

from there, it worked it's way into the hippie and all around youth culture in the 60s. After that, i don't know much, but in the 80s frank zappa's daughter moon unit did a comedy recording called valley girl which spoofed the language patterns of the san fernando valley "valley girls" who were middle class girls who only cared about shopping, boys, etc. Probably evolved from the seventies stoner, surfer, stoner LA scene.

Any other ideas?

Cobden

Practically Family
The one that really irritates me is describing things from the 1910's as "Titanic Era". May seem like a strange thing to get annoyed about, but it strikes me as a tad odd that when people think of elegant clothes from that decade they automatically are supposed to think "ah, this reminds me of the most infamous and one of the most horrible maritime disasters in history". It wasn't even the defining event of the decade, what with a big war a couple of years after the Titanic's sinking. Is this a trend that is going to continue to other eras? The fifties being described as "Andrea Doria" era, the 30's as "Morro Castle", the 70's as "Edmund Fitzgerald", 80's as "Dona Paz", etc.?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Cobden said:
The one that really irritates me is describing things from the 1910's as "Titanic Era". May seem like a strange thing to get annoyed about, but it strikes me as a tad odd that when people think of elegant clothes from that decade they automatically are supposed to think "ah, this reminds me of the most infamous and one of the most horrible maritime disasters in history". It wasn't even the defining event of the decade, what with a big war a couple of years after the Titanic's sinking. Is this a trend that is going to continue to other eras? The fifties being described as "Andrea Doria" era, the 30's as "Morro Castle", the 70's as "Edmund Fitzgerald", 80's as "Dona Paz", etc.?

Hate to say it, but someday, will our children call contemporary clothes "so 9/11"

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Foodie

When I use the word "foodie" I'm using is derisively. There is a whole generation of people who have discovered this or that aspect of connoisseurship, and use it as a raison d'etre for their entire existence (was that redundant?). Many of them really know a lot about their topics, but they lay it on so thick, and use all the affected "in" terms (e.g. "plating" your food) that it just comes out obnoxious as hell. It's all about "Look how smart I am". Not the same as gourmet or gastronome, which means a real expert on food, or gourmond or glutton, which means someone who never stops stuffing it down. It's the attitude and posturing that annoys me. Not that they're all little snots, let me make that clear. But even the really nice sincere ones are just so callow about it.
I think the Titanic reference is simply because that general population's sole exposure to the style of that era comes from a single blockbuster movie from 13 years ago. Other eras will be known by whatever event or show or whatever becomes associated. So maybe some day 70's clothes will all be called "Welcome Back Kotter" clothes.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Currently, I am hearing "Flapper" for any style above the ankle and before the hippies.
:eusa_doh:

"I think the Titanic reference is simply because that general population's sole exposure to the style of that era comes from a single blockbuster movie from 13 years ago. Other eras will be known by whatever event or show or whatever becomes associated. So maybe some day 70's clothes will all be called "Welcome Back Kotter" clothes."

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Miss Crisplock said:
Currently, I am hearing "Flapper" for any style above the ankle and before the hippies.
:eusa_doh:

"I think the Titanic reference is simply because that general population's sole exposure to the style of that era comes from a single blockbuster movie from 13 years ago. Other eras will be known by whatever event or show or whatever becomes associated. So maybe some day 70's clothes will all be called "Welcome Back Kotter" clothes."

Or more equivalent, that Seventies Show Clothes.

Cobden said:

I suppose you could use the Edmund Fitzgerald as an analogy of the 1970s. They belong in the same place that the Fitzgerald is now. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld