Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Viola

Call Me a Cab
And not all fast slurred dialects are interchangeable - going from my native Philly style to my fiance's Australian accent (his I'm fine with but a lot of his friends I can't always track) has been both challenging and hilarious.

I just don't understand how they can slur so much AND talk so slowly. lol

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
In many places the concept that a students feelings might be put upon struggling with a public speaking class makes for another dropped requirement.

Yes, just like studying History makes individuals feel bad if they come from a society that didn't feature as many inventors as some societies did -- whoops, that's off topic (and un-PC to the max).

How about the horrible expression "Yowsers"? Has this been covered?

Doran said:
Yes, just like studying History makes individuals feel bad if they come from a society that didn't feature as many inventors as some societies did -- whoops, that's off topic (and un-PC to the max).

How about the horrible expression "Yowsers"? Has this been covered?

Blame Inspector Gadget. Its not bad enough that, when you wear a hat, you are called Inspector Gadget but you also have to listen to Inspector Gadget from the dope calling you Inspector Gadget. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
Blame Inspector Gadget. Its not bad enough that, when you wear a hat, you are called Inspector Gadget but you also have to listen to Inspector Gadget from the dope calling you Inspector Gadget. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

I have yet to see that show; but I have noticed that if I wear a fedora and a light colored overcoat (whether it be a tan trenchcoat or my yellow cashmere coat) I hear little idiots mumbling something in my wake. I did not know that "Yowsers" comes from that too.

LizzieMaine said:
Keep in mind too that a run-together fast, slurry dialect can be an effective way of keeping "outsiders" outside -- think about how impenetrable something like stereotypical Cockney dialect can be to those who don't natively speak it. Perhaps for a lot of kids today they don't always *want* adults/authority figures to understand what they're saying.
Teens and young adults tend to lock onto Fad expressions to seperate them from adults. Much of the new language comes as a developement of various "scenes" which these days gets wide transmission thru TV and MTV. The need for retaining youth drives the use of fad language thru the culture and then you have somebody's grandfather using the term PHAT or Jiggy you know it has gone too far. (There are some hilarious scenes in the cult hit movie "Ghost Dog" of the elder gangsters doing Rap stuff from watching MTV that comes to mind here.)

Dr Doran

John in Covina said:
Teens and young adults tend to lock onto Fad expressions to seperate them from adults. Much of the new language comes as a developement of various "scenes" which these days gets wide transmission thru TV and MTV. The need for retaining youth drives the use of fad language thru the culture and then you have somebody's grandfather using the term PHAT or Jiggy you know it has gone too far. (There are some hilarious scenes in the cult hit movie "Ghost Dog" of the elder gangsters doing Rap stuff from watching MTV that comes to mind here.)

No wonder I married a Pole. There is none of that nonsense (or very, very, very little) in Poland.

Feraud

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
Keep in mind too that a run-together fast, slurry dialect can be an effective way of keeping "outsiders" outside -- think about how impenetrable something like stereotypical Cockney dialect can be to those who don't natively speak it. Perhaps for a lot of kids today they don't always *want* adults/authority figures to understand what they're saying.
And it is great to see old people totally miss that point! lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:

Ah. Next time I'm trying to conduct a transaction with a young person I can't understand, I'll ask to talk to a grownup.

As for non-English speakers...lo siento, no hablo espanol.

Feraud

Bartender
Paisley said:
Ah. Next time I'm trying to conduct a transaction with a young person I can't understand, I'll ask to talk to a grownup.
Not to speak for LizzieMaine because she is more than capable of doing so, but I do not think she is trying to justify the inability of young people to communicate during business transactions. Lizzie manages a business with young workers and would not stand for that cr@p at all. I think her comment was made to broaden the discussion past the "young people talk stupid" finger pointing sentiment that gets thrown around here a lot.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I'm aware that Lizzie manages young people. I'm not sure that all incoherent young people are aware that they're being unclear. I don't think they'd deliberately be unclear in a business situation.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We have one kid who had a tendency to mumble, and I'd yell "WHAT?? SPEAK UP!" when he fell into that habit. He doesn't mumble anymore.

Any kid who can't -- or won't -- speak articulate standard English doesn't get past the interview with me. Our patrons are mostly older folks who won't stand for any nonsense or attitude, and I make it clear that I won't either.

When we speak of conditions today and it has to do with people of an age group or regional type of focus, they all fall into some type of Bell Curve response. There will always be a segment the doesn't mumble just as at the other end the segment that always mumbles. The dynamics of youth sociology may shift as to details but some themes will remain constant.

The response to groups outside their group usually is one of learned behavior. Some kids that have to deal with the slighly deaf elderly may have learned to slow down and speak clearly if the want to communicate with grandma, that may translate to a near automatic response to speak up with all of the elderly. Others may not know but need to learn.

B2TFgrandfather: " He's an idiot, probably came from a family of idiots! Lorraine if you have kids like that I'll disown you!":eusa_doh:

Carlisle Blues said:
Basic speaking skills equal communication. Without which society would be in disarray.

Very true! Still, I am always amazed in business that in spite of speaking clearly or writing clearly the hearer or recipient still does not understand. Most often disregards what was written or said and acts on their pre-conceived notion is regarding the communications. The ability to listen and comprehend seems to suffer a lot these days also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld