Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The following is kind of annoying

dunce.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Carlisle Blues said:
it is tired and old.
To some....to others....Classic.....:p

But then, I still laugh at the Marx Brothers, Laurel & Hardy, etc.. while others roll their eyes...[huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Are we talking about the use of NTTAWWT in the current lexicon or the humor of Seinfeld? I'm referring to the latter.

Dr Doran

How about "thx" instead of spelling out the word "thanks" or better "Thank you"? I find this very annoying as it does not express genuine thanks. Only that the writer was in a hurry and wanted to say something that sort of sounded like thanks.

Carlisle Blues

Tomasso said:
Are we talking about the use of NTTAWWT in the current lexicon or the humor of Seinfeld? I'm referring to the latter.

Current......I love Seinfeld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hahahaha and Tomasso I find your humor and wit very refreshing as well....
icon14.gif
I also watch "Larry David" from time time on cable..lol lol lol

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
"Passing; Passed; Pass Away"

Has the world become so afraid to deal with death that we must "soften" the blow by using this "Passed away" nonsense? Is anyone else old enough to remember when people actually died?

"The soldier passed away after stepping on a land mine."

Kirk: "Bones, how is he?"

McCoy: "He's passed away, Jim."

I'd also like to see the end of using "I mean" as a placeholder in a sentence.

in Defense of banal terms: Passed Away is a term more used amongst the close relatives and friends not in a military situation. It obscurs the death concept a tad so that both those that pass along the info and the reciever of the info can do their best not to be overcome by grief and remain functional. Yup grief is funny that way. Ask anyone that's lost a close relative recently. WHich way is easier on a loved one: "I am sorry to hear he passed away. or "Word out is he died from lung cancer, wow sorry."

It just softens the blow a bit, as reserved and respectful referencing.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
in Defense of banal terms: Passed Away is a term more used amongst the close relatives and friends not in a military situation. It obscurs the death concept a tad so that both those that pass along the info and the reciever of the info can do their best not to be overcome by grief and remain functional. Yup grief is funny that way. Ask anyone that's lost a close relative recently. WHich way is easier on a loved one: "I am sorry to hear he passed away. or "Word out is he died from lung cancer, wow sorry."

It just softens the blow a bit, as reserved and respectful referencing.

My father died this past July.

Carlisle Blues

Nathan Dodge said:
"Passing; Passed; Pass Away"

These terms are euphemisms for dying, although the verb pass alone as well as pass away have been used in the sense of “pass out of existence, die” since the 1300s. The two variants—adding on [c. 1800] and over [c. 1900]—allude to moving to some other-worldly realm.

Depends on your perspective. I liked when Bones said. "Jim, they took Spock's brain!!!":eek: :eek: lol lol lol

Dr Doran

Lucretius says "joining the majority" for dying. I like that. I used it in a speech at a memorial for a dear friend of mine who died, and who was a young, bright latinist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld