Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Slim Portly

One Too Many
"You guys," meaning any group of human beings, regardless of gender.

Potential employee, referring to my company: "Are you guys hiring?"

Waiter, approaching the table occupied by my lovely date and myself: "Are you guys ready to order?"

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
"Give back to the community." A smarmy phrase that should be replaced by simply writing a check or doing a good deed.

On a similar note, I don't like the office shakedown: being asked to money or gifts to coworkers you don't see socially, aren't inviting you to their wedding or weekend baby shower, and make more money than you do. That charming custom seems to have disappeared from my office--perhaps our new single, childless managing partner doesn't like it, either.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Slim Portly said:
"You guys," meaning any group of human beings, regardless of gender.

Potential employee, referring to my company: "Are you guys hiring?"

Waiter, approaching the table occupied by my lovely date and myself: "Are you guys ready to order?"

The death penalty should be put into effect against this monstrosity.

Not as bad, but related: people who use the possessive phrase "you guys's."

Example: "When I went over to you guys's house, it looked pretty creepy."

The English word "your" applies to both singular and plural second person possessors: "I love your hair." "I appreciate your collective efforts at making this work." Other languages make distinctions between a singular and plural second person possessors, but English does not, and if one needs desperately to be invented (if this distinction is deemed so TERRIBLY important) we must invent one less clumsy than "you guys's."

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
"I was gutted" - what most contestants say when voted off TV 'talent' shows, akthough the easy cure for this is to not watch the telly!

"At the end of the day" - mainly used by people complaining on the local news show.

"Tick all the boxes" - :rage: :rage: :rage:

I hear what you're saying but, with all due respect, it's not exactly rocket science. Basically, at the end of the day, the fact of the matter is you have got to be able to tick all the boxes. It's not the end of the world, but, to be perfectly honest with you, when push comes to shove, you don't want to be literally stuck between a rock and a hard place. Going forward we need to be singing from the same songsheet but you can't see the wood from the trees. Naturally hindsight is 20/20 vision and you have to take the rough with the smooth before proceeding onwards and upwards. The bottom line is you wear your heart on your sleeve and, when all is said and done, this is all part and parcel of the ongoing bigger picture. C'est la vie (if you know what I mean).

Taken from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/3632968/At-the-end-of-the-day-youve-given-110-per-cent.html

LordBest

Practically Family
I find the over-use and mis-use of the word buggery in Australia particularly annoying and on occasion, hilarious. Some examples I've heard during the past week. In public.

"It's hot as buggery."

"She's dumb as buggery."

"We're lost as buggery."

"Where in buggery is my shoe."

"This weather has got me buggered."

"Look, Jim made it!"
"Well, bugger me."

Dr Doran

Marc Chevalier said:

Two VERY annoying expressions: "trad" and "tradly". They infest the Ask Andy About Clothes forum.

I have noticed it there, on the very few times I have gone there. I am still a bit bemused by the term "trad" in that context. I only knew of the word "trad" meaning a kind of skinhead: a "traditional" skinhead who was not a Nazi skinhead, and who had slightly longer hair (not bald) and wore working-class, but neat and tidy, British fashions from the non-hippy portion of the 1960s. Conservative, but not racist. Listened to dance hall reggae and especially ska and rocksteady, and soul.

However, on "Ask Andy," the term trad seems to mean (as far as I care to investigate, which is not much) a sack-suit-wearing vaguely preppy style. Weirdly (again, as far as I can tell -- my impressions are shallow on this topic) there seems to be among these folk an idea that trad is a kind of culture of these sack-suit-wearing vaguely preppy folk.

If it is a culture, it sounds very boring to me.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LordBest said:
I find the over-use and mis-use of the word buggery in Australia particularly annoying and on occasion, hilarious. Some examples I've heard during the past week. In public.

"It's hot as buggery."

"She's dumb as buggery."

"We're lost as buggery."

"Where in buggery is my shoe."

"This weather has got me buggered."

"Look, Jim made it!"
"Well, bugger me."

My sister used to say "all buggered up" to mean "all messed up." [Cringe.]

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
Other languages make distinctions between a singular and plural second person possessors, but English does not, and if one needs desperately to be invented (if this distinction is deemed so TERRIBLY important) we must invent one less clumsy than "you guys's."

We dumped ours.....it used to exist.

Dr Doran

Miss Neecerie said:
We dumped ours.....it used to exist.

"Thy"?
"Thine"?
Lovely words -- but "you guys's" with the horrid double Z sound at the end (interrupted by a schwa: "yu gaizuhz") is very unpleasant and undeserving of entry into the acceptability canon of our lovely and versatile language.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
"Thy"?
"Thine"?
Lovely words -- but "you guys's" with the horrid double Z sound at the end (interrupted by a schwa: "yu gaizuhz") is very unpleasant and undeserving of entry into the acceptability canon of our lovely and versatile language.

Actually I simplified...

Ye, you yours has always been the plural.......

we had a singular...the thy thou thine......which we dumped...and put the plural in its place for all numbers....

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
The way my daughters say "No offence, but...." and then go on to say something like, "..your hair looks like possums are nesting there and your breath smells like old socks". :mad:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
This one is not so annoying, it's more used in beauty and make up talk .It sounds weird, very weird to me.

When they say for example " It makes my eyes pop out" _ This eyeshadow makes my eyes pop out.

Eyes pop out? Sure. Whatever. [huh]

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Anyone mention the term "bra" yet? Apparently it's recently become an offshoot of "bro", but I'm not sure if it's the plural version. I heard a guy use this on a friend at a mall last year, and it was the first time I heard it in public (prior to that, just on tv).

I asked a guy friend about the term, and whether or not it bothered him. He said it probably wouldn't, seeing as the word has another meaning (as in brassiere), and that he wouldn't mind being one of those. Smartypants. :rolleyes: :p

Miss Neecerie said:
Actually I simplified...

Ye, you yours has always been the plural.......

we had a singular...the thy thou thine......which we dumped...and put the plural in its place for all numbers....
Some of us from or influenced by the good parts of the country:p don't have this problem...
Singular: "you"
Plural: "y'all"

Y'all have a real good day now... :D

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Inflight Fight
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld