Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The American Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You know, those "ignorant" voters.

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises.

A. Lincoln

Pilgrim said:
Here's one more thought that should give US residents pause: Winston Churchill said "In a Democracy, people get the kind of government they deserve.” Sometimes I wonder what we've done to deserve the current one. But there's still that future promise, isn't there?

Churchill was right but we are a Republic not a Democracy. There is a huge difference. Check Athens versus Sparta. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Here's one more thought that should give US residents pause: Winston Churchill said "In a Democracy, people get the kind of government they deserve.” Sometimes I wonder what we've done to deserve the current one. But there's still that future promise, isn't there?

I still wonder what certain areas of the country did to deserve their local governments.:D

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Churchill was right but we are a Republic not a Democracy. There is a huge difference. Check Athens versus Sparta. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Well, even though Athens fell, Sparta's no great ideal eiather. Give me Corinth any day!

Briscoeteque said:
Well, even though Athens fell, Sparta's no great ideal eiather. Give me Corinth any day!

I didn't say Sparta was great. What I was illustrating is how a pure democracy cannot adequately serve its people because it is always changing its mind as Athens did. They should have won that war easily but they did one thing and then withdrew the next day and second guessed themselves constantly. Corinth? before or after Lucius Mummius, the Roman consul, leveled the city in 146 BC? He killed the men and sold the women and children into slavery. Corinth really had a strong government then. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: Uh, no thanks. I am pretty sure the Corinth you are referring to was the period after 747 until 657 BC right? That didn't even last as long as the US has so far--not even 100 years. :eusa_doh:
We are a Republic as Franklin said "if you can keep it." [huh] :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Father of the Constitution had this to say...

Democracy is the most vile form of government... democracies have ever
been spectacles of turbulence and contention: have ever been found
incompatible with personal security or the rights of property:
and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent
in their deaths.

-James Madison -(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution of the United States of America, 4th US President​

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon said:
Democracy is the most vile form of government... democracies have ever
been spectacles of turbulence and contention: have ever been found
incompatible with personal security or the rights of property:
and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent
in their deaths.

-James Madison -(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution of the United States of America, 4th US President​

-dixon cannon

I am glad we had him and others of like mind to thank for our form of government and thus the American Way. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Further, he said....

jamespowers said:
I am glad we had him and others of like mind to thank for our form of government and thus the American Way. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

[When reading the Constitution...] Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government.
-James Madison

I think we're beginning to see what's gone wrong with the American Way!

-Dixon Cannon
Neo-Jeffersonian Constitutional Fundamentalist

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Dixon Cannon said:
[When reading the Constitution...] Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government.
-James Madison

I think we're beginning to see what's gone wrong with the American Way!

-Dixon Cannon
Neo-Jeffersonian Constitutional Fundamentalist

That's a great quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun