Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The American Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
Anyway, I'd like to know who is packaging all this and marketing it to other countries.

Movies. Television series. Music.

Chile's upper class kids -- the ones who never set foot out of their neighborhoods, except to fly to Miami and Europe -- are dressing and cussing like American rappers and spraying graffitti on the walls of shops and homes in their own streets. The police first thought that kids from the slums were doing the vandalizing. Wrong ... the slum kids didn't have cable TV, so they didn't have any U.S. rappers to imitate.

Foreign countries are fed the worst of America that money can buy. And that's the point: "the American Way" is sold abroad with a price tag. We have the best part of our culture here, but peddle the worst of it to the rest of the world.

And lest it seem that I'm letting the rest of the world off the hook, let me add that many, many foreign countries are too corrupt and plutocratic to even try to adopt the best parts of the American way. That is very much their loss. These particular countries -- and having lived in South America, I've known a few of them -- are their own worst problems.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
War is just a racket...

Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler (former Commandant, U.S. Marine Corps—and one of only four Americans to ever win the Congressional Medal of Honor twice), published in Common Sense magazine, November 1935:

"War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

"I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

"I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

"There isn't a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang is blind to. It has its 'finger men' to point out enemies, its 'muscle men' to destroy enemies, its 'brain men' to plan war preparations, and a 'Big Boss' Super-Nationalistic-Capitalism.

"It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty-three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

"I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

"I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China in 1927 I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested.

"During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three city districts. I operated on three continents."

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
The whole world wants to learn English because it is the international language of business. That is just the way it is. If you want to get something done anywhere you have to do it in English. I don't see it as a bad thing. What would you rather have a tower of Babel where people do not understand each other and thus cannot communicate properly? [huh]
I am not sure this is has anything to do with the American Way. It is the national language. :eusa_doh:

Regards to all,

J
Until they come to America. Then they expect you to learn their language. I went to Wendy's the other day and the kid behind the cash register didn't speak enough English to take my order. He had to go get a manager (I was ordering a #1 with a baked potato instead of fries).

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Rick, not only is that quote of Maj. Gen. Butler's extremely wise, it can be applied to any organization wielding great power and accessing great amounts of money.

Serial Hero said:
Until they come to America. Then they expect you to learn their language. I went to Wendy's the other day and the kid behind the cash register didn't speak enough English to take my order.

Well, I'll tell you what. The sooner that Wendy's starts to pay its workers better and offer them more benefits, the sooner that English-speaking (or even bilingual!) people will apply for a job at Wendy's.

In-And-Out, a family-owned fast food chain that's been around since the '40s, pays its workers better than any other chain around here. I've been to many of their chains, and never once have I seen a worker there who couldn't speak or understand English well.

You get what you pay for, folks.

Hondo said:
Which reminds me why I don't buy DELL computers anymore, try getting Tech support and your sent somewhere in India and they haven't mastered the english language, "can you repeat that again please!" :eusa_doh:

Again, blame DELL, an American company, for not being true to "the American way" and contracting tech support outside the U.S.A.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
matei said:
"In and Out"? What is that, a fast food chain?

Is it new? I've never heard of it...

It's a Southern California hamburger chain. I like the food. And most of the employees are Americans who can speak and read English and they pay a couple bucks an hour more than the national chains.:D They just recently moved into Northern California and there is always a line of cars in the drive-thru and at the counter. In this backwards berg where I sleep we're getting one after FIVE stinkin' years of them paying homage to the backwards, corrupt City government. Typical of San Francisco Bay Area; we want businesses but hate companies.

geo

I think that what was left of the American Way drowned in New Orleans. Regardless of the international situation, taking care of one's own is the only way to lead by example, and that failed in New Orleans.

jake431

Practically Family
scotrace said:
If General Butler didn't modify his "wise" opinion in the face of stopping Fascism, he was hardly "wise."

He didn't have to modify his wise opinion, we went to war because Japan attacked our territory, not to stop Fascism. We declared war on Japan, Germany declared war on us, we declared war on them.

-Jake

jake431

Practically Family
Easy there fella!

Scotrace,

I re-read my post, and it came off a little more combative than I meant it too. My apologies...

Thanks,
-Jake

Twitch

J.M. If you don't believe the media is biased stop and recall when you've heard a story about heroism, valor or anything positive in Iraq. I personally know that at least one Medal of Honor has been written up for award and many Silver Stars. All you and I hear about through the normal channels is the death count and the negativism. A guy named Sgt. Peralta tucked a grenade under his body after he was wounded to save his squad but the the only place you'll hear about that is on the military sites I visit.

Audio and visual media is a series of pre-edited sound and video bites accompanied by narration that is selected to convey whatever message the producers of the piece desires. It's the selection of words by the writers and in the verbal delivery it's not simply the words but the intonation and and emphasis on key words.

Doesn't matter if its a hurricane, bus wreck, conflict in foreign nations or disasters in far away lands. The worldwide media controls what the citizens of every country see and hear. Some of these organizations are international so their influence is not limited to one nation.

The news quit being a reporting of events and became share of ratings entertainment long ago. I can remember the serious, no-nonsense Edward Murrow as a kid and Cronkite afterwards. Somewhere between then and our fun romp joke fest local news actors have degenerated into a free for all of unsolicited opinion, commentary and sillyass banal dialogue punctuated by lame commercials that now often repeat during the same station break!

Instead simply resporing the fact that Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are donating zillions of dollars to worthy charitable cause the NY Times has to ponder, to paraphrase, "how and why such large fortunes should be allowed to be amassed." Greeting comrades!

And whether its Bill Maher or Rush Limbaugh they're equally full of crapola but at least we can sense that from the rolicking format of their extremist programs. The national and local news reporting outlets are a bit more subtle but just as insidious in their mission.

I place these news "celebrities" just below lawyers in their credibility. But hey, that's just me.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The best source of real news now is on-the-spot bloggers. The Pajama Brigade.

During the Iraq invasion and for some months after I read the blog of a young man in Baghdad. It was facinating stuff and WAY off the radar of the traditional media.

scotrace said:
The best source of real news now is on-the-spot bloggers. The Pajama Brigade.

During the Iraq invasion and for some months after I read the blog of a young man in Baghdad. It was facinating stuff and WAY off the radar of the traditional media.

Bloggers---a definite part of the American Way. The need arose and they filled it. Certainly the American Way. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Bye, Bye Miss American Pie, drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Saying this'll be the day that I die,
This'll be the day that I die,

Helter Skelter and a summer swelter

RedPop4

One Too Many
Walter Cronkite was biased, too. Don't kid yourselves. Some of the things he's said in interviews since leave nothing to the imagination. Don't forget when he'd cock that eyebrow.

Iraq the Model
The Mesopotamian

are two good blogs from Iraq, reporting much, and reminding us that the Iraqis, common everyday Iraqis, like us, do indeed appreciate the presence of our armed forces.

Strider

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
My country was founded on those who wanted freedom’s they couldn’t have in others.

I enjoy this sentiment. It's what I keep saying. Unfortunately, there are people in this world (not necessarily politicians) who try to tell you the freedoms you can and should not be able to enjoy.

No one can respectfully disagree anymore. "You shouldn't be able to say that" or "I'm not having anything to do with you since you took up a [blank] wing position". You can't have a conversation these days with differing viewpoints, and then just say: "That's cool. I respect your opinon. Let's go grab a soda." No, someone is wrong, someone else is right, and no one lets it go until all parties involved are completely alienated. It's unfortunate that people have let themselves go to that level.

The issue that comes to mind immediately is the protesters who protested outside a gay soldier's funeral holding signs that read: "Thank God for dead soldiers". I don't agree with their sentiments, but they have the right to peacefully demonstrate, congregate, and protest. Why would I deny them that right just because I don't like what they have to say? The majority of people don't share my opinion. "Well, that's just disrespectful!" I agree. So? The Constitution gives them the right to say something you might not like.

Who fights for those rights or gives them to these people is neither here nor there, as is whether you agree with them or not. They should not be bedruged their right to protest peacefully, just as you shouldn't for saying something someone else might not like.

I think that we are slowly sinking toward Nationalism in this country. You can't say anything negative about the country or its government anymore without eventually being chastised for "aiding the terrorists", or something similar. Or, heaven forbid, you're labeled "Un-American" and "Un-Patriotic". Then you're told that if you don't like it, to go live someplace else. I have an opinion, just like you and everyone else. Because my opinion differs from yours on an issure you're passionate about does not make me a dissident or a bad person.

Truth, Justice and the American Way is this:

Being honest with yourself and others. That's truth.

Innocence maintained until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and doing right by others. That's justice.

Enjoy freedom. Use your freedoms, but don't take them for granted. That's the original American Way.

IMO ...

Twitch

Sorry J.M. but your comment "It's always their fault, if we could just get rid of that pesky "media" everything would be hunky dory," was taken as sarcasm. Put :) on there so we'll know you're funning us;)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Strider said:
No one can respectfully disagree anymore. "You shouldn't be able to say that" or "I'm not having anything to do with you since you took up a [blank] wing position". You can't have a conversation these days with differing viewpoints, and then just say: "That's cool. I respect your opinon. Let's go grab a soda." No, someone is wrong, someone else is right, and no one lets it go until all parties involved are completely alienated. It's unfortunate that people have let themselves go to that level.

The issue that comes to mind immediately is the protesters who protested outside a gay soldier's funeral holding signs that read: "Thank God for dead soldiers". I don't agree with their sentiments, but they have the right to peacefully demonstrate, congregate, and protest. Why would I deny them that right just because I don't like what they have to say? The majority of people don't share my opinion. "Well, that's just disrespectful!" I agree. So? The Constitution gives them the right to say something you might not like.

I think that we are slowly sinking toward Nationalism in this country. You can't say anything negative about the country or its government anymore without eventually being chastised for "aiding the terrorists", or something similar. Or, heaven forbid, you're labeled "Un-American" and "Un-Patriotic". Then you're told that if you don't like it, to go live someplace else. I have an opinion, just like you and everyone else. Because my opinion differs from yours on an issure you're passionate about does not make me a dissident or a bad person.

Some good points in there. I'm old enough to remember when the phrase "The Ugly American" was used back in cold war days. Unfortunately, I think we have returned to that status in a lot of the world; not because we're "fighting commies", but because we've declared war on a technique, not on a group. (IMO terrorism is a technique, therefore it will remain as long as any one person still decides to use it).

To me, the American Dream and the American Way are still very much works in progress, and the United States will always be a work in progress. The very nature and design of our government and laws make it clear that very few things are permanent, and it's up to us to have the good sense to continually protect the things that should be permanent, such as the First Amendment. But if the First Amendment were proposed to many (ignorant) voters today, I'm not sure it would pass. That concerns me.

The promise of the US and the American (whatever) is that since our government is flexible, it can always change and it can always improve. BUT - achieving this ongoing potential depends on our people and their representatives to make it happen. Purely in my view, since the "Reagan revolution", I don't like the direction or the policies - but that's just me. Every election, we the people get the chance to re-define our country's direction and policies.

What I see shaping up now is one of the regular pendulum swings in public opinion that occur at unpredictable time intervals, but the fact that they will occur is highly predictable. I think that the focus on secrecy in government, security above civil rights, illegal detentions of people for years and other federal actions, coupled with extreme partisanship in Congress and the Senate, are having an effect on the electorate and that substantial change might occur at the next national election.

If it does, that's the promise of the American Way being realized. If not, that's still the promise of the American Way operating as it was designed to do.

Here's one more thought that should give US residents pause: Winston Churchill said "In a Democracy, people get the kind of government they deserve.” Sometimes I wonder what we've done to deserve the current one. But there's still that future promise, isn't there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun