Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Attire

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Linen, lighter cottons, (shirts and trousers and shorts) for casual. Poplin and seersucker for business. Bucks, loafers, topsiders. Web or silk ribbon belts on casual opportunities. No socks whenever possible. Flip-flops. Barefoot. I love summer!

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
BellyTank -

If you don't mind my asking, tell me about those pants you are wearing. Are they custom or "off the rack"? Great fabric.

BellyTank said:
...this one!

Linen8.jpg

B
T

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Quigley Brown said:
Break out the white bucks.

(image)
Looks good, Quigley Brown. Any other suggestions for summer shoes? Brand names and style names would be appreciated. I was thinking about a fancier pair of "woven leather" shoes, but I decided that look just doesn't suit me. Maybe if I found the right pair....

RevWarTaylor

New in Town
Brooks Brothers have an awsome pair of cloth uppers and leather shoes.....but they will cost you a pretty penny. I love my 1940 Canvas upper shoes.....so comfy in the summer but I dont dare wear tem in the rain!

Neal

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Nice...and $380

RevWarTaylor said:
Brooks Brothers have an awsome pair of cloth uppers and leather shoes.....but they will cost you a pretty penny. I love my 1940 Canvas upper shoes.....so comfy in the summer but I dont dare wear tem in the rain!

Neal
Yes, as is to be expected, quite a pretty penny at $378. I assume these are the ones you mean

bboxford.jpg

Those are quite nice. And quite formal. I found these by a company named Born which I've never heard of

omega.jpg

They're quite informal, too much so I think, but I like the idea, and they're only $70. They only seem to come in 3 sizes from what I can tell. I should probably just bite the bullet and buy some nice two-tones. But, ouch, just at the time when I'm thinking of blowing a bundle on a nice panama... :eusa_doh:

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Why are there panama hats that go for over $100? They're not terribly durable and I can't see what else they'd make them out of besides straw. I got one for $40 and wore it out. They're real nice, but why so expensive?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
ArrowCollarMan said:
Why are there panama hats that go for over $100? They're not terribly durable and I can't see what else they'd make them out of besides straw. I got one for $40 and wore it out. They're real nice, but why so expensive?
You might want to try a search for "panama" "montecristi" and "straw." There are some very knowledgable folks on this subject here on the Lounge. Look for Panama Bob.

ArrowCollarMan said:

Pick yourself up a panama hat that cost $40 back in the day (50s or earlier). Unless you jump up and down on it, you ain't gonna wear it out. Panamas come in varying grades of excellence ...

bk

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
my basic summer look is lighter-weight trousers (but not always...england isn't THAT hot in summer) and a 40s gab shirt with the sleeves rolled WELL above the elbow. and some clear plastic framed sunglasses.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
ArrowCollarMan said:

Actually, good Panama hats are made from screw palm leaves. They are much tougher than a typical straw hat, and are very durable. I had a buddy bring back a hat from when he was in the Peace Corps somewhere in Central America. It was custom made for his head, and he beat that thing to death the whole time I knew him. He'd had it about 5 years or more when I met him, and that hat was no where near the end of its life.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Palmyra?

Mojave Jack said:
Actually, good Panama hats are made from screw palm leaves. They are much tougher than a typical straw hat, and are very durable. I had a buddy bring back a hat from when he was in the Peace Corps somewhere in Central America. It was custom made for his head, and he beat that thing to death the whole time I knew him. He'd had it about 5 years or more when I met him, and that hat was no where near the end of its life.
Needing to pinch pennies, I've been looking for a straw hat that's got a style I like and which won't break the bank. Miller Hats has some "palmyra" straw hats that they call casual and they're are only $45. I saw "screw palm" and I thought maybe there's a connection. These do look more casual than a tightly woven straw hat. I like this one. (With a 2 3/8" brim it would be the widest one I own if I got it. I've noticed vintage stingy-brim straw hats tend go for a bundle on eBay.) I wonder if this would last.

slidell.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Seersucker and linen heads the list for summer attire.

Shoes480.jpg

I like espadrilles for casual summer footwear.

Shoes190.jpg

Then top it off with a nice straw brim.

Shoes476.jpg

jml90

One of the Regulars
Tomasso you never cease looking great. :eusa_clap Pictures really complete it. You da man

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
jml90 said:
Tomasso you never cease looking great. :eusa_clap Pictures really complete it. You da man

Thank You, Sir. Now if the temp would just break 70 so that I could wear some of this junk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe