Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson ID help, please!

Zyzek117

New in Town
Hello members,

I was hoping someone here could answer some questions about this potentially old Stetson Hat I received as a gift.

From the research I’ve done, it could be made anywhere from 1950-1970, and the felt could be beaver or rabbit. I’m not sure what model it is based on the information I’ve seen on this forum.

Please help me answer these questions:

What model Stetson is this?
What felt is it made out of?
What year was it made?
What is its estimated value? (Edit: I just found this question doesn’t get answered as it can open a can of worms, but if you have an opinion, feel free to chime in. I won’t be selling it, just curious if it’s a “beater” hat or one that should be worn seldomly.)

Also, I shaped the “top” of the hat to look like a gun club hat I own (just with my hands) but I was wondering if it made sense to take it to a hat shop to have it more permanently shaped with starch or steam, or whatever professionals use. Is this recommended for a hat of this variety, or is it best to leave it alone? I don’t want to do anything to hurt the hat’s potential value or allure.

Thank you in advance for your help!
IMG_7890.jpeg
IMG_7889.jpeg
IMG_7887.jpeg

Last edited:
What model Stetson is this?
What felt is it made out of?
What year was it made?
What is its estimated value?
I'm sure Stetson had a model name but as they often did, it was left out of the hat or on the sweatband. Many around here would refer to it as a skinny ribbon western. The model may be found in the old Miller Stockman catalog scans.
It's a Nutria Quality felt which means there is a lot of Nutria fur in it and an unknown mix of likely rabbit, hare and beaver. Nobody knows. Nutria Quality was an entry level hat just above the No. 1 Quality in price.
Made sometime between the mid 50's - 60's.
Whatever the market will bear. Check eBay for comps.

Last edited:

Frontporchcharlie

New in Town
Those old Nutria hats are pretty dang cool. The hat is in really good shape too. That’s a good one for wearing around, Nutria is very durable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads