Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Squadron Patches

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Are there any schools of thought when selecting "squadron patches" to go on to your A2?

:eusa_doh:

Is is right to go with:

~what looks nice?
~what has historical significance to you?
~what a character in a book/movie has?
~what unit/job you think you might have been assigned to in WWII?
~no patches: who are you to wear a patch, anyway?

I'd be interested in getting all'y'all's thoughts on this! :)

PS - I'm a novice and wouldn't know one patch from another, nor what the best way to go about selecting one. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
Can we include in this discussion name patches?
Their selection and placement?
I would like to see examples of the members' patches if possible.
Thanks!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I own a Pakistani goat A2 derivative that-while admittedly patched-is a good
knockaround jacket with excellent fit, woolen cuffs, and zipper. I served in
the 101st Airborne, so I wear my brigade patch with division insignia and
leather name strip.

patterson

One of the Regulars
This can be a touchy subject. Reproducing a "current" jacket, i.e. a squadron currently active, could be misconstrued as representing yourself as an actual member of that force. Generally, I don't see many collectors doing something like this. What I do see that I personally object to is putting rank insignia - and my own picky thing - nametags. Regardless of the vintage you are representing, these bother me and some veterans have told me it bothers them too...

That said, I think a historical reproduction of a wartime "actual" is a wonderful thing - and I have found that the veterans respond very favorable to this as well. I have an Aero flying tiger A2 that has a nice mix of historically accurate patches and chits that I wore to the air museum in Palm Springs. The docents there - all WWII vets - literally converged on me when I came in and had wonderful things to say about the jacket. I got the best stories from them and could tell they were so happy a "young person" like me would be so interested as to reproduce such an item. I still exchange emails with some of them...

Maybe I look at these differently than most - but I do feel that if you're going to do art on the jacket, respect the heritage and the people who served. IMHO...

Peacoat

Bartender
My era doesn't include A2s and is limited to nylon. With that in mind, I would only want to wear a flight jacket that was patched with my specific company and flight patches. appropriate to the time that I actually flew the combat missions.

If I had an A2, I would not put any patches on it. If there were a place for a name tag, and the spot were obviously empty, I probably would put my own name tag on the Velcro, or in the plastic, to cover the obvious hole.

This, however, does not mean that I would fault someone for patching their own jacket. It obviously is done out of respect for an era. Someone who shows respect for an era is given respect by those who lived in that era. The only time it becomes a problem is when the person with the patched flight jacket is trying to be someone he is not. Obviously a fifty year old guy with a WWII patched flight jacket is not posing as a WWII bombardier.

So, patch as you please, just don't try to be that which you are not.

Jay

Practically Family
In respect of the era and the mission for that matter, my A-2 has the insignia of Ted Lawson, since that mission is one of the wildest and most daunting missions have ever heard of.

When I get mine, I'd probably only put my name on the tape, keep it WWII looking, but other than a name and wings once I have my license utterly devoid of insignia. The only unit patch I might ever wear, except any I might get into, would be my grandfather's old (now-defunct and well-after-WWII) interceptor squadron.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
My personal tribute to 4. Fighter Group, 8th AF is the Boxing Eagle Patch on my horsehide A2. Besides that I have a leather nametag with my own lastname.
The patch gets a lot of attention, and is a great opener for talking about the merrits of this great fightergroup.
My nametag is only natural - and people think it's rather cool/smart/handy, to have your own name on a jacket.

All in all - I wear this specific A2 as a tribute.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Not a big fan of patching jackets but had one with the marks of a previous patch. So got Jerome to paint this one up. It is a night fighter squadron. I really like the Disney patches
IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Peacoat said:
My era doesn't include A2s and is limited to nylon. With that in mind, I would only want to wear a flight jacket that was patched with my specific company and flight patches. appropriate to the time that I actually flew the combat missions.

While touring Germany on leave (1975), I stopped at the Rhine-Main USAF
base in Frankfurt to visit the PX and spotted several USN/MC aviators wearing "G" leather jackets.
Nylon flight jackets were all the rage, so these geewizs were all the more distinctive,
and went well with khakis. Army chopper throttle jockeys were issued nylon jackets,
but the leather A2 still remained in the Airborne's footlocker, and made some discreet
appearances--when the brass wasn't around.

Paden

Vendor
Peacoat said:

If I had an A2, I would not put any patches on it. If there were a place for a name tag, and the spot were obviously empty, I probably would put my own name tag on the Velcro, or in the plastic, to cover the obvious hole.

This, however, does not mean that I would fault someone for patching their own jacket. It obviously is done out of respect for an era. Someone who shows respect for an era is given respect by those who lived in that era. The only time it becomes a problem is when the person with the patched flight jacket is trying to be someone he is not. Obviously a fifty year old guy with a WWII patched flight jacket is not posing as a WWII bombardier.

So, patch as you please, just don't try to be that which you are not.

That is a strange discussion, please acept the people the way they want to be.
If this 50year old guy wants to wear his jacket, why not???
It is up to him.

Feraud

Bartender
Paden said:
That is a strange discussion, please acept the people the way they want to be.
If this 50year old guy wants to wear his jacket, why not???
It is up to him.
I think Peacoat and everyone else agrees that patching one's jacket is a person preference that should be done with respect to the men who served.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I wear my 1980's polyester Army officer's tunic with the insignia and nametag of Oliver North my hero. If anybody gives me any flak about this I will be happy to knock their teeth out with my shiny brass knuckles. Lights out.

Marv

A-List Customer
Only have one patched jacket, a Cooper all my other A2s have no insignia.......on my Cooper, I have the boxing eagle of the 334th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.
A big fan of the RAF no.71 Squadron (Eagle) which became the 334th in Sept1942.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket Spitty, you should be most proud.

A-2s aren't my strong point, so what make is that one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82