Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Brooks Cafe Racer

Bennarion

One Too Many
Thanks for your suggestions. Typically, I am drawn to jackets in new or like-new conditions, and while I know I can probably find this model in better condition for the same or less money, I have to admit part of the appeal is the aged leather. It’s the type of effect many manufacturers strive to achieve by pre-distressing their leather or producing it with a rub-off effect. But this one has clearly resulted from many years of experience. I may stop back to the shop and see if they are open to bartering. It sounds more appealing than trying to find a “better” one online. After all, I don’t need another black cafe racer. There’s just something about this one. If that makes sense.
The look of this jacket, that's the beauty of it

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
These were called, Leather Shirts and Racing shirts. This is from the Brooks 1973 catalog:

Brooks was a true American Icon in Leather Sportswear.

You found a well worn one. Nice.

1725427966924.png

This is my early 60s split back. It has a ghost racing number on the back. You can't see it in this pictures.

1725428084112.png
1725428103454.png
1725428129356.png

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
These were called, Leather Shirts and Racing shirts. This is from the Brooks 1973 catalog:

Brooks was a true American Icon in Leather Sportswear.

You found a well worn one. Nice.

View attachment 637486

This is my early 60s split back. It has a ghost racing number on the back. You can't see it in this pictures.

View attachment 637487 View attachment 637488 View attachment 637489
Very cool! Thanks for the details. Now I just need those sideburns to complete the look.

danielzink

New in Town
FWIW...

I snagged the eBay auction for $45.....

As they say...if it sounds too good to be true.....

After almost 3 weeks of it sitting there with the shipping tag created - but parcel not submitted to USPS I had to get ahold of eBay and was refunded.

No doubt someone got ahold of her after the auction and offered 3x what she sold it for.

At this point I'm leaving negative feedback.

Dan

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
FWIW...

After almost 3 weeks of it sitting there with the shipping tag created - but parcel not submitted to USPS I had to get ahold of eBay and was refunded.

No doubt someone got ahold of her after the auction and offered 3x what she sold it for.

Dan
What a bummer! Leave that negative feedback and don’t feel bad about it. Sorry for your loss though.

BlueSteel

One of the Regulars
FWIW...

Dan

Think your maths are off there, Dan. The jacket sold Sept 3. You posted about it here Sept 16. That is not even 2 weeks, let alone 3. Still a while to wait for a seller to mail, but I certainly waited longer for many items that I did eventually get (been an active buyer on ebay since 1998 - in the early years it would have been rare for someone to mail an item much quicker than 2 weeks post-auction, but expectations are different these days).

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
I’ve got a pretty cool vintage Brooks cafe racer on the way in a size 42. I know this is going to be too small for me but it was a killer deal so I grabbed It. Should be able to sell it cheap. I‘ll post a pic in a day or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1