Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Squadron Patches

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Priestyboy

Hello what kind of emblem research are you needing? I have the "Official" Sqd and group USAAF emblem lineage books as well as a fairly good collection of photos/sketches etc of "Unofficial" USAAF etc types, I hav most of them ID'd and colors for nearly all of them, amybe I can help with ID etc???
Contact me at my email WeBeEmblems@aol.com

SIGGY

A-List Customer
jeep44

Wowzer, an original unused 548th !!!! I would love to be able to find one in that condition, of course I probably couldn't afford it as it would most likely be witha dealer and priced to match!!! Anyway you are a lucky one to have not only that one but the one on the A-2 as well, enjoy!!!!
Siggy

Rick

New in Town
placing an AAF Star and Wings patch

I've been trying to find info on where to place an AAF star and wings patch.

Also trying to decide what type to go with; decal, felt patch, or leather.

I don't want to place my A-2 to any time or theatre during WWII.

Just want to add a little bit to the jacket without making it particularly distinguishable.

I've seen leather on the right arms of Burma India jackets

I've seen decals on the left arms of many

Haven't seen any cloth ones yet though.

Seems like the Air Force one belonged to typically is on the left arm

But then the Burma India coats are the only ones I've seen with it on the right.

I know there seems to be no REAL right answer, but what do you know?

Thanks

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Here are the patches I chose for my GW A-2,

and why I put them on where I did. The patches in these pics belonged to my Dad. The top one is easily recognizable as the CBI theatre patch. Dad served in the 'forgotten war' in Burma. He strung power lines along the Burma Road as it was being built, bypassing the long segment held by the Japanese. Once the Road was done, soldiers who had worked on it were given the 'privilige' of driving an Army 6X all 1,110 miles from Lido, India to Kunming, China. Two weeks with eight fifty-five gallon drums of plane fuel in the back, driving sunup to sundown. At the end, in Kunming, GI's were on their own to get back to India. Dad hitched a ride with an AAF transport flying over the 'hump'. He was issued no parachute.

The lower patch was given only to soldiers who had driven the Road. It's a patch no pilot ever wore, that's a good bet. I put them both there, inside my A-2, next to my heart. When I wore the jacket out to see Dad for the first time, and pulled it open to show him what had become of the patches on his moth-chewed service blouse, I knew I'd done well. He beamed.

I'm not a big fan of patches on jackets, unless I earned them personally. I've made an exception with these two.

2949132470104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2837125260104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82