Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Space saver bags?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Anyone use these? I'm so leary, afraid the items won't puff back to life! I wouldn't think of using them on vintage items, but I'd love to pack up some other things so I have room to hang my vintage garb.
Are they too good to be true?

Nikki

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Not too good to be true!

When I studied abroad for a year, I couldn't think of a way to take my bulkier winter items on the airplane, given the luggage space limitations, and still have enough clothes to make it through the year. So, I invested in some Space Saver Travel/Camping bags. Instead of using a vacuum to remove the air from these, you roll them up, and the air escapes out a one-way valve. I can say that they are really a great invention. The clothes came right back to life, and the bags were very durable. I used them on every trip I made around Europe that year, and they're still going strong three years later.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Your items will be wrinkly when they come out of the bag though. So I would put any fancier/fine fabrics in the bag that you would have a hard time getting wrinkles out of.

epr25

Practically Family
My stuff has always come back to life but I have never had luck with these dumb things. They always seem to to spring a leak and deflate to original size.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I had to fit 4 months worth of stuff in ONE SUITCASE to live one of the most fashionable countries in the world. It's worth it--those things are magical!!!!!!! People couldn't BELIEVE how much stuff I kept pulling out of my bag!!! If you fold them and put things in carefully, they come out as if they've never been touched. Not to worry. :)

I also used the roll-up ones like Polka Dot.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pardon my butting

This thread title grabbed my eye - what about long-term storage? I'm out of closet space and need to start rotating some stuff into storage. Would these work? Would insect damage be possibly worse or would removing the air do the little devils in? Maybe after deflating the bags, stick them in the freezer for a few days, then into storage?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks all!
Yes, I'm worried about long term storage as well. Heh.. like that freezer idea! Hmmm....
Nikki

Barry

Practically Family
I bought three bags just last week for a trip to NYC. Mine were the kind that you just push/sqeeze the air through the vents. I didn't buy the kind that require a vacuum.

I put my undershirts, socks, workout clothes, etc. in them and they helped save a couple of inches in my suitcase. Everything came out somewhat wrinkly but with socks and t-shirts I wasn't too worried. A couple of the bags lost their seal on the return trip. They're pretty much useless now. I probably wouldn't buy them again.

Barry

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Sounds pretty positive for the most part. My friend uses them and I bought some for "the great housecleaning event of 2007" but haven't used them yet.

Seems like there might be one brand that is better than the others? Sounds like the roll-up kind might have a better seal.

And brand recommendations?

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
one of my friends was moving cross-country and spent a small fortune on those bags. in general, it seemed like they really only made a significant difference with stuff that was fluffy, like comforters. stuff like baby clothes that she had already folded down... not so much of a difference.

she used the kind that you attach to a vacuum.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I bought a bunch of these bags a couple of years ago when I was trying to tidy up the linen closet, but they didn't work for me:( . The zipper broke on two of them, and no matter how I tried to align it back it just wouldn't work and they inflated again. I do think the idea is great though:) Maybe I will try them again....

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
RetroMom said:
I bought a bunch of these bags a couple of years ago when I was trying to tidy up the linen closet, but they didn't work for me:( . The zipper broke on two of them, and no matter how I tried to align it back it just wouldn't work and they inflated again. I do think the idea is great though:) Maybe I will try them again....

The same thing happened with the bags I bought.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
The ones I was looking at last night at Bed Bath and Beyond said they were new and improved, double strength or something. So maybe they got a lot of complaints?
Nikki

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just yesterday I was at Bed Bath and Beyond for the first time. Wow, lots of neat stuff. (I got another garment rack.) I love the space saver bags. Bugs, including moths, yucky smells, and dust stay out. Space is saved. If anything is wrinkled, even a vintage fraglie item, it gets steamed with the water-reservoir-type home steam machine. Love these bags. Everything looks so cool all squished up.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Just yesterday I was at Bed Bath and Beyond for the first time. Wow, lots of neat stuff. (I got another garment rack.) I love the space saver bags. Bugs, including moths, yucky smells, and dust stay out. Space is saved. If anything is wrinkled, even a vintage fraglie item, it gets steamed with the water-reservoir-type home steam machine. Love these bags. Everything looks so cool all squished up.

i swear, my garment rack from BB&B was one of the best $20 i've ever spent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley