Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

...Just how much should you tip a tablet anyway?
I'd tip it just enough for it to fall off of the table and onto the floor in hopes that it would be irreparably damaged. :D

For the time being I can see tablets and ordering kiosks being a "test period" novelty. But as the generations grow older who are accustomed to having electronic devices coming out of their ears I can see them becoming more and more prevalent, and inevitably there will come the tipping point when ordering electronically is the norm and a living wait staff will be the novelty. :(

I've long maintained that if not for the human desire to take sustenance in the company of their fellow humans, all-night eateries (think Denny's) would be hurting for business.
You may never again see the fellow a couple of stools down the counter from you, or the waitress, or the kid busing the dishes, but chances are good you'll exchange pleasantries, and in so doing you make one another's late night/early morning better than it might have been otherwise.
I know to resist projecting my own sense of such things onto all of humanity. But in my better moments I resemble a human, and I suspect I have much in common with humans in general. And people need the company of other people.
Me, I'd rather wait a little longer to check out at the supermarket with a real human cashier than avail myself of the self checkout. And I'd much rather place my meal order with a real human than an electronic gizmo. If all I wanted to feed was my belly, I'd have raided the fridge at home.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
But in my better moments I resemble a human, and I suspect I have much in common with humans in general.
Well that's a relief, I would have been mortified to learn that your articulate, witty and sometimes, thought provoking posts were computer generated. A hat wearing computer at that, perish the thought.

Here's something that really ticks me off -- people who put their tickets in their mouth while they fiddle with their gloves or their pocketbook or some other fiddly thing and then hand them to me at the door. Really? Like I want your cold, your flu, your Legionnaire's Disease, your herepes simplex, or whatever else is percolating around in your saliva this week.

When people do this I make a show of being very careful to avoid touching the part of the ticket that has had intimate congress with their tongues, and I hand the stub back pinched between thumb and forefinger as though it were a dead pogy. But they never get the point. Maybe I should keep a bucket of Lysol on a stool next to me, and dunk each ticket before performing the tear.

Any of you out there who have the habit of doing this, just stop. The people you're handing your ticket to think you're an ass.

A nice shield at the ticket-shop:
"PLEASE, do not stick tickets in your mouth on doing other things. The house-management will thank you!" ;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
A nice shield at the ticket-shop:
"PLEASE, do not stick tickets in your mouth on doing other things. The house-management will thank you!" ;)

Why bother with all the niceties !

154alq1.jpg

Just a tiny bit on the tickets goes a long way !

No more wet problemos !:D

I would luv to see the faces they make !:p

Edward

Bartender
They probably had difficulty finding a programmer who could replicate a real waitress. Nothing like a human face for customer service.

I love her. I'm a bit disappointed to hear it might not be entirely for real. It's like a characateur of the service in *some* lower end UK places, which I find a welcome break from those where tippong culture has taken over.

I love her. I'm a bit disappointed to hear it might not be entirely for real. It's like a characateur of the service in *some* lower end UK places, which I find a welcome break from those where tippong culture has taken over.
She probably gets some personal satisfaction from talking to customers that way, but it is definitely an act; interactive dinner theater, if you will. It's surely off-putting to customers who don't understand it's a gag, but I'd bet most keep coming back for the humorous abuse even if the food isn't anything to write home about.

Edward

Bartender
Won Kei's in Chinatown here in London used to be infamous for its rude waitstaff. They're still a bit brusque, but nothing on what they once were. Of course the food is great, so that does help...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In the early 80's, a restaurant called School Dinners, in London, had waitresses dressed as school girls, who would scold, slap and even sit on punter's laps and spoon feed them, if they left so much as a morsel on their plate. The fact that most diners were male, and the waitresses skirts so short, you could be forgiven for thinking that they had actually forgot to put one on, illustrates clearly that School Dinners was a front for what we Brits refer to as: A Knocking Shop!

Back to the topic of tickets in the mouth kind of grossness....back in the 80s I worked for awhile in a local record shop (as in l.p. & 45 vinyl records - I'm sure some of you remember those). It was located in the city - as in "inner city" - and much of the clientele was the urban, middle aged or older r & b crowd. A lot of the ladies, presumably out of fear of purse snatchers or what not, kept their cash tucked away safely in their brassiere. Now imagine how nice those bills felt (and smelt) when they pulled them out to pay on a nice hot Alabama day, say 99°f + with 95% humidity.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There exist public toilets with spring-loaded doors attached to a timer. After three minutes they spring wide open, ready or not.
Next time that you are in London, get yourself along to The Cellar Door. It's a small, subterranean bar, with just two unisex cubicles. These toilets have clear glass doors. Slide the lock and the glass goes opaque. Freaky, but not as freaky as spring-loaded doors with a three minute timer.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
There exist public toilets with spring-loaded doors attached to a timer. After three minutes they spring wide open, ready or not.
The Japanese invented several years ago, toilets that flush when they felt you had enough time to do your business! So you had better read the sports section fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe