Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smuterella

One Too Many
dollydaydream said:
Your Score: The Contrarian

You are 10% Bootlicker, 32% Toe-Stepper, and 54% Obnoxious Anti-Snob!

You just like being difficult, don't you. Place in society? Means nothing to you. Place in the counterculture? Look out for Number One! You seem to enjoy cutting off your nose to spite your face. "Garage rock? You simpering poseur. I only listen to real-time recordings of construction site noises."

lollollol

me too!

The Dame

One of the Regulars
The Contrarian 34% Bootlicker, 27% Toe-Stepper, 58% Obnoxious Anti-Snob!

You just like being difficult, don't you. Place in society? Means nothing to you. Place in the counterculture? Look out for Number One! You seem to enjoy cutting off your nose to spite your face. "Garage rock? You simpering poseur. I only listen to real-time recordings of construction site noises."

Now how the heck did I rate as 'The Contrarian' with 58% Obnoxious Anti-Snob?!? So far I've posted the highest Anti-Snob rating, so I think I should be in a different category from 'The Contrarian.'

Wonder what I'll be the next time I take that test?

I'd love to be a snob, I just can't afford it, dammit!

CassD

One of the Regulars
dollydaydream said:
CassD & Smutterella; We can have our own special Contrarian gang. Like the Pink Ladies, and we can have pretty jackets & look down our nose at non contrarians.

Not that I'm a snob or anything...

Count me in. I can totally fill the shoes of the disaster-prone Frenchie lol lol

The Dame

One of the Regulars
dollydaydream said:
CassD & Smutterella; We can have our own special Contrarian gang. Like the Pink Ladies, and we can have pretty jackets & look down our nose at non contrarians.

Oh, well, if you're gonna get organized and have a Contrarian gang, sign me up. If CassD is Frenchie, I wanna be Rizzo (the part played by Stockard Channing) - wisecracking all the way! ;)

And I found another fab test on the same site with the snob test: The Classic Dames Test!!! Check it out: http://www.okcupid.com/tests/4621123663119520922/Classic-Dames

My Score: Katherine Hepburn 11% grit, 42% wit, 42% flair and 14% class.

Kate Hepburn *sigh* Now that was a dame!

Story

I'll Lock Up
The Dame said:
I wanna be Rizzo

There can be only one!

rizzo_wcau.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Says another... Hey, I've posted so much that "My Mail Is Forwarded Here." *turns up nose*

:p lol

Quality over quantity. Now run along, boy.

Josephine said:
I don't have many vintage clothes, and I already posted a pic of my hair. :/

Perhaps, but your tinted smile is disturbingly hot - like a female Jack Napier. ;)

And now you have an excuse to collect more vintage outfits.

I know, I'm an enabler. It's a gift.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
What, you didn't know?
"Quantity has a quality all its own."--Josef Stalin

Yeah, when you're killing peasants and White Russians ... the Czarist supporters, NOT the cocktail, knave! Although, now that I think about it ...:p

Josephine

One Too Many
Story said:
Perhaps, but your tinted smile is disturbingly hot - like a female Jack Napier. ;)

And now you have an excuse to collect more vintage outfits.

Aw, thanks! But I'm saving up for that super sekrit vacation. After that, watch out! lol

Don't look at me, I always preferred killin' gimlets myself... besides, I'm from the Mal Reynolds school: "If I kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed." (He was actually referring to using "swarm tactics" as opposed to the numerically-fewer but better-equipped forces of most other armies.)

After all, one doesn't have to agree with one's enemies to learn from them, right?

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
[...] one doesn't have to agree with one's enemies to learn from them, right?

Quite true. I believe it was advised in Sun Tzu The Art of War to 'know one's enemy' - and learning from the enemy would certainly fall under knowing him.

Me, I actually would prefer killing very dry, very dirty gin martinis with 3 olives. :D

surely

A-List Customer
K.D. Lightner said:
I think, in the earlier days (I have been on the FL since 2004), many of us became, what I would call "hat snobs." With all the info and advise we received, we were able to discern quality hats, whether vintage or custom made, from cheaper hats.

There were those of us whose budgets were such that we can buy 100% beaver hats or higher quality hats. But many who posted here could not do that.

I think most of us had to learn to refrain from advising others, whose budgets might be such that they could not afford hats costing several hundred dollars, or even a C note, that they should aim for the high end. Yes, the quality may be better and the hat may last longer, but, if someone cannot afford it, then they should get what they can afford.

We would advise them to look for vintage bargains, but that is sometimes hard to do searching through thrift stores and yard sales. And, of course, we all know what has happened to vintage hats on auction sites!

The goal has been to inspire others to wear fedoras or whatever hats they choose. It is not inspiring to be told you shouldn't buy a fedora unless it is, say, fur felt.

If there was any snobbery involved, then, I think it has largely disappeared.

karol

Thanks K.D., that's an illuminating story. It's like the wealthy (in your example) intend to be helpful, but the way they do it, their behavior, justifiably irritates others. They may not even recognize they are being so annoying.

I've been a member a yr+ & I've seen that improvement. COOL
One issue over in Hats that might welcome a little light is the dismissive attitude toward baseball caps (all jokers are exonerated).

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Personally. . . .

surely said:
One issue over in Hats that might welcome a little light is the dismissive attitude toward baseball caps (all jokers are exonerated).

Baseball caps? I wear one - to cut the grass and do other landscaping. Baseball caps are fine for some things. Like, Oh, I don't know. Playing baseball? :rolleyes:

Some people can also carry that off. I can't. I look like "old guy trying to look athletic" even though for my age I am relatively athletic (well, so long as my wife thinks so!). ;) I am not going to condemn anyone for wearing whatever they want. On the other hand, it seems rather limited and narrow minded to have that as your only hat choice, as it were- well, that and cow-boy hats!! I'm not better than someone who only knows cowboy hats or baseball caps. That makes me better than I would be. Not better'n you/them (whoever that is). :D

This isn't funny at all- I'm a failure!!! But I wear a reasonably good hat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe