Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"sniping" on eBay-tired of being the victim...

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Tony, here's one BIG clue...

Tony in Tarzana said:
The other problem is that I don't know if I'm bidding against other Loungers until it's too late. Sorry, guys!
If the bidder's ID is JamesPowers, chances are he's one of us. (I know this because he just won the 7-1/2 Borsalino that I pointed out to Scott!)

Zemke Fan said:
If the bidder's ID is JamesPowers, chances are he's one of us. (I know this because he just won the Borsalino that I point out to Scott!)

Hehehehehehh! Oh that was one you were discussing.
Come on now. Just look at that hat. It had my name all over it. "Foolish mortals!" lol lol lol Here I'll help you:

f8_1copy.jpg

See it now? :p ;)

Regards,

J

Sniping

I recently came to the realisation that sniping just makes eBay more like a real auction. Ever been to one? The big bidders don't bother bidding until the price gets high. What's the use of wasting their time?

The difference i guess is that there is a time limit on eBay. Well, tough cheese. Someone is prepared to pay more than you? Well, that's the nature of an auction.

p.s. I don't snipe, but i can see why people do.

bk

maisie

Practically Family
If i bid on any thing these day i always use a snipe:) . After losing so many auctions 'in the beginning' when i was just starting out on ebay, i just got fed up with it all!:rolleyes: And seeing as it doesn't cost that must and as i live in the UK nearly all US auction finish in the middle of the night, and i'm not staying up just to bid!!:D
It also does keep the cost down as in the last minute there will alway been people just putting an extra $5-$10 on it so it drives the price up like made, whereas if you just come in with 3 seconds till it finishes they don't have a chance! Sounds harsh but all's fair in 'love and ebay'!!lol

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're right on there Baron! I just figure it's a matter of discipline. Anyone can get out of control and throw money around crazily in a bidding frenzy. If you set a personal maximum and the other guy gets the item, so be it. I guess he wanted it more. Fine. I don't care if they outbid me by 50¢ or $50. If someone is willing to pay whatever it takes to "beat" others in an auction, they should be buying at a retail store anyway. As I've found countless times with patience they will be a duplicate or similar item in a relatively short time that no one notices and even bothers to bid on and you get it real cheap.

It strangely goes in cycles- this week several of the same people are bidding on several antique phonograph auctions. They bid in ALL the auctions. 10 days from now an antique phongraph will be listed and nobody even bids.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21