Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"sniping" on eBay-tired of being the victim...

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
sniping?

I didn't even know there was a name for it, but it's the reason I don't use eBay. I bid on a couple of items for the first and last time a few years ago and that's what happened, some body swooped in at the last minute and stole the auction. I don't have time to sit in front of the computer, I have a job. And if you have dial-up, forget about ever winning at the last second.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My secret...

I'll give you my secret. I never bid in even amounts. I always bid in increments of pennies - amounts like $7.68, $13.69, or $134.56. It's a dog-eat-dog world on eBay and you can loose a great item for mere pennies. The real bidding begins in the last 60 seconds. If you are bidding on an item that you MUST have, you must be there during the last 60 seconds and keep bidding up you final offer. Be prepared to enter in your highest offer in the closing seconds - that's where the winning takes place.

I have foung that those with deep pockets will wait till the last few seconds and enter in some outrageous amount sniping everbody and winning just one increment above the next highest bidder! "nedaero" is my nemesis and man that guy will steal candy from a laughing babies mouth just to claim the title 'Winner'! :rage:

-dixon cannon

green papaya

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
I'll give you my secret. I never bid in even amounts. I always bid in increments of pennies - amounts like $7.68, $13.69, or $134.56. It's a dog-eat-dog world on eBay and you can loose a great item for a mere pennies. The real bidding begins in the last 60 seconds. If you are bidding on an item that you MUST have, you must be there during the last 60 seconds and keep bidding up you final offer. Be prepared to enter in your highest offer in the closing seconds - that's where the winning takes place.

I have foung that those with deep pockets will wait till the last few seconds and enter in some outrageous amount sniping everbody and winning just one increment above the next highest bidder! "nedaero" is my nemesis and man that guy will steal candy from a laughing babies mouth just to claim the title 'Winner'! :rage:

-dixon cannon

thats me :p

it's like a war, the enemy deserves no mercy!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I usually snipe for a lot of the same reasons. There are jokers out there that decide that they realy do want that item more than they thought, and well, what's another $5 or $10....

I use Dixon's strategy, too, using odd amounts to push me over the top. But I always decide how much I am willing to spend. That also prevents me from deciding that I wanted it a little more than I thought! :eek:

If you look back at auctions you've won or lost, though, you'll find that it is always by about 50 cents or something. That's only the amount that it takes to beat the next higher amount. Zemke, Scott may have outbid you by $20 but it would still only go up to just enough to beat the next highest bidder, in this case you (or he just got lucky in that auction). That's the real danger of those folks out there that keep adding a little bit at a time to try to beat the other guy. You'll never see just how much the winner was willing to pay for that item. So folks see the current bid and think "Look, I'm only losing by 50 cents!" so they up their bid by $5 just to be safe, which means the winner pays another $5 more than he or she would have by sniping the auction.

Sniping is like a hand of poker. You set the max you are willing to bet and keep your cards close to your chest.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the last auction I won, there were four bidders (including myself) who bid in the last 20 seconds. I still ended up paying close to my maximum. Oh, well, I probably would have just blown the money on cheeseburgers anyhow. lol

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Amen...

Mojave Jack said:
I usually snipe for a lot of the same reasons. There are jokers out there that decide that they realy do want that item more than they thought, and well, what's another $5 or $10... Sniping is like a hand of poker. You set the max you are willing to bet and keep your cards close to your chest.
Summed it up perfectly. You have to decide what YOU want to pay. Enter that amount in a sniping program and lean back in your chair. If you get it, you get it. If you don't you haven't been sucked into some bidding war that you can't afford.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
With more than 500 sales and purchases, I have learned that sniping is the smartest way to use Ebay.

If you bid early, it is almost certain that someone will come along and start bidding up the price $1 at a time, trying to find your max bid. This has two results:

1) If you win, you often end up paying more because you've invited the other guy to run up the bid.
2) You have to snipe at the end anyway to win the bid.

There are good snipe engines called Hammersnipe and Auction Sniper that I often use. Then you can set the snipe to activate about 5 seconds before the end of the auction, and you don't have to be online watching. Enter your max in the snipe engine and relax. You'll either win or not, but you haven't given all the other people a target to shoot at.

Realistically though, sniping is the only smart way to go.

funneman

Practically Family
Sniping Software?

Well, that takes all the fun out it. There's nothing like that bid with 20-seconds left to really get the blood flowing.

Zach R.

Practically Family
funneman said:
Well, that takes all the fun out it. There's nothing like that bid with 20-seconds left to really get the blood flowing.

I hear you there, nothing like the rush of winning an auction and then feeling like you can crush a can on your forehead. :p

I'm lucky enough that my sizes are odd enough that I don't have much competition.

Tony in Tarzana said:
The other problem is that I don't know if I'm bidding against other Loungers until it's too late. Sorry, guys!

I sort of have that problem as well. You place the bid and just wait. It can be six days before the end of the auction. [huh] I'll take the super convenience though.
"Let's check the email. Oh I won something. How about that?" :D

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82