Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
As much as I love the blue Dobbs, the shade of green on that Mallory has me turning all shades of green with envy! That's just about the perfect green hat. Wow.

Brad

Mystic

Practically Family
Like the Sound of Music song, "Something Good" says....

Somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good.....

Alan, you must have done something REALLY good to acquire those hats, in that condition, in your size.....

Fantastic!! The blue Dobbs is my favorite....but, it would be tough to pick one if I had them in hand.

g.durand

One Too Many
These can't match Alan's rare showing today, but it's worth a comparison of two hats that are similar in many ways.

L: Stetson Stratoliner R: Borsalino, Alessandria style. There is nothing stamped on the sweat to indicate the model, but all indications are that's what it is. The Borso is lighter and the felt is just a bit thinner. The Strat has a reeded sweatband and the Borso is unreeded. They are very similar with regard to pliability and hand. Crown heights are very close, about 5 1/2-5 3/4 inches, brim widths are the same at 2 3/4 inches.

IMG_3739_zpsb566d213.jpg

IMG_3740_zps5b25470a.jpg

Top: Borsalino Bottom: Stratoliner
IMG_3741_zps81a31367.jpg

Last edited:
The Model T

The derby (bowler) hat might be compared to the Ford Model T. It was a style of universal acceptance, worn by every man as a civilian uniform during the era of the Model T (1908 to 1927). Any color you need, as long as it's black (not exactly, but close). If you've ever found a derby that fits you well, you know that it is a hat of uncommon comfort. No soft floppy parts to catch the wind, in fact a derby cuts through a stiff breeze without needing a wind cord to keep it from taking flight. A beautifully balanced design and a pleasure to wear.

I've owned quite a few - sold some, given others to my wife's costume shop. The five that remain in my collection are favorites and though only one is a perfect fit, I can wear them all. A quick glance shows them to be identical, but of course, in closer examination one can enjoy the subtle nuances of changing fashion. I've ordered this display by the amount of curl in the brim - from least to most. Dating is guesswork only, but I believe this order is roughly chronological as well. The first hat is the latest - 1930s somewhere and the last is the oldest - perhaps made near the introduction of the model T. The others are most likely from the 1920s. The Lord & Taylor private label has a 2 1/8" brim, the Brown & Batchelder 1 5/8". The others all sport a 1 7/8" brim. Crown heights on all are similar - close to 5". The early B&B has no ribbon bow and uses a different method of brim binding than the others. The C&K has a suspended sweatband design that is an inventive attempt to simplify a good fit in a hat that cannot be tweaked on a stretcher. But all in all, they follow a classic form that was a workhorse and worked beautifully.

derby1.jpg

derby2.jpg

derby3.jpg

derby4.jpg

derby5.jpg

derby6.jpg

derby7.jpg

derby8.jpg

derby9.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads