Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bowen and Joe, I’ll give that a try for next time. Can’t tell ya how frustrating it was, guess I’m no longer hip with tech haha
Lol
Not at all. When i first started it was awhile before folks started telling me they were getting neck aches looking at my pics even though on my iPhone the were oriented correctly which was weird. I felt total stupid, not just the usual.
B

On the campaign trail...

I recently added a second Stetson campaign styled hat to accompany a similar/later example that I've had for some time. The original is a Stetson No.1 Quality grade, likely from the period from 1935-1940. The new addition is a Stetson 1X Nutria grade which I believe dates from the second decade of the 20th century, so perhaps twenty years earlier than the No.1. Some thoughts accompany the photos below...

campaign_trail1.jpg

The overall style and dimensions are very close with a clear color difference between the felts. Both have the same height ribbon with simple bow (without frayed edge). The campaign cords are also very similar, with the older hat having enough length to accommodate a knot.

campaign_trail2.jpg

The felt on the No.1 is thick and very stiff. I suspect it might be able to hold a tighter pinch with some steam. The nutria felt is very supple and moldable. It's a very nice grade as is the 1X nutria western I've had and enjoyed for many years. The brim on the nutria campaign is much thinner and completely flexible.

campaign_trail3.jpg

campaign_trail4.jpg

The grade marking imprints compared. Both hats feature a chin strap - much more substantial on the later hat, it wraps around the campaign cord and passes through an elongated grommet on the brim. The strap on the nutria wraps around the back half of the hat and passes through a small bakelite grommet-like piece which can be removed. I took off the strap and removed the bakelite piece when I steamed and cleaned up the hat. It is a different fitting than the brass grommets in the crown.

campaign_trail5.jpg

The store imprints compared. The nutria has the early silver foil which I haven't seen much of in hats after about 1920. It didn't seem to hold up well and was pretty much eclipsed by the gold foil imprint more commonly seen. VVVV stitching on the Fray sweatband... some reed is exposed and it appears to be a natural fiber.

campaign_trail6.jpg

A substantial weight difference between the two hats - the No.1 quality comes in at a hefty 8 ounces.

campaign_trail7.jpg

Hard to show a comparison of the two brims, but the nutria seems to have a softened edge compared to the No.1 which is thick, sharply cut and stiff as a board. The nutria brim could be brought up and affixed to the crown in the manner of a slouch hat.

cheers,
Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld